Author Topic: Why so much difference in head movements?  (Read 315 times)

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
Why so much difference in head movements?
« on: December 17, 2000, 06:17:00 AM »
Take the C.205 and the FW190. The former has huge head movements when you maneuver, while the latter does not. Is there any reason?

P.S.: plz, refrain from posting about italian pilots quality    

"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2000, 09:03:00 AM »
 I think some planes have too liberal an allowance for head movement. I hope they have it on the list to fix alot them.

-Westy

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2000, 06:20:00 PM »
All that wine drinking, gatt?  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2000, 10:36:00 PM »
I hope they make F4u and F6F back view as blind as they were in real life  

[This message has been edited by Fishu (edited 12-17-2000).]

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2000, 11:26:00 PM »
Dang Vermillion, mine was a serious post, too many italian Macchi pilots throw up that wonderful Chianti red wine after violent maneuvers!  

Seriously, ahem, its more difficult to aim well in a C.205 than ... in a Spitfire IX or a 190A-5. Especially when you are following a stick-stirrer .... Hope HTC will fix it.

All that Chianti wasted .... man.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2000, 04:58:00 PM »
I hope they make F4u and F6F back view as blind as they were in real life How many real F4s have you been in Fishu to compare? I think it was Westy that went to an Air show and climbed into a F4 he said rearview matched pretty well what AH simulates. While we are on the topic what about that top canopy rail in A8 why doesn't it block view all the way back to head rest?

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2000, 05:34:00 PM »
Because it didn't in RL.

Offline Suave1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2000, 06:40:00 PM »
Maybe it has to do with frame rate . Is there a noticable difference in frame rate between the two cockpits ? When I had a lousy vid card and a low frame rate there was no noticable head movement . But now with my new vid card I have a much better frame rate and I get the cool head sway effect .

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2000, 07:01:00 PM »
CC Torque. I'm 6'5" and  on the large side and when I sat in the New eng Air Museum F4U I was surprised at the visibility out the back. The "6" on a an F4U is no way blind.

-Westy

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2000, 01:31:00 AM »
Guys, I understand you are interested in head movements and views. What I was talking about is the head movement induced by "g" acceleration, while you maneuver.

In the C.205 it is way overmodeled.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2000, 02:06:00 AM »
westy could you see around both sides of the rear bulkhead at one time? and above and behind it too?  
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2000, 11:01:00 AM »

Pepino

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2000, 11:06:00 AM »
Citabria, I think that qualify as a Head-On  

Pepe

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2000, 11:57:00 AM »
 No Citabria. I'm lying thru my bellybutton just to see my post count increase.

I looked over the left shoulder (withouth moving my back or shoulders) and I could clearly see the entire left half of the plane, left stab and the whole rudder as well as what could have been behind the tail. Same for the right. Could I look up and 45deg to my high six? No. But I could look back, back down and all around very well.

-Westy

Offline Suave1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2000, 12:04:00 AM »
I took a 202 and an a5 for a spin the yesterday and my frame rate was equal in both planes so that isn't the cause . Although I have to say the only difference I noticed was when you pull negative G's in the macchis the long noses of the 202 and 205 fill the gunsight . But when I used the gauges at the bottom of the screen as a reference point. I noticed that it moves just as far in the fw . My frame rate was 40-45 looking forward in both planes . Oh yeah and you hijackers should learn some manners