Author Topic: Just how difficult is building your own pc?  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Just how difficult is building your own pc?
« on: August 11, 2008, 02:58:31 PM »
Hey all,

I am not a computer guy, by any means.  When the machine breaks, it goes into the shop.  I don't know how to fix them, I don't know how to clean them, and I certainly don't know how to upgrade them.

That said,  my machine is getting older, louder, and probably on its deathbed.  I'm getting a little sick of going a few weeks at a time without it as it's in the shop, and I'm not happy at all about the prospect of overpaying some company to send me a prebuilt PC that's going to have all the headaches of vista in it.

I've noticed from these threads that I could save a ton of money, and spare myself the horrors of vista, by building a machine by myself...  The question is...  Just how easy is it to do?  When you open these things up, are they largely plug & play?  Have any of you that share my technical ineptitude managed to pull this off?  Are the instructions straight forward, or do you need to know several languages?

I was thinking about ordering a few parts at a time, as they go on sale, while I use my current machine until it dies.  Hopefully a few things (Monitor) I can get some use out of right now, while others (XP) I can buy now while they're still available.

You think I could pull this off relatively hassle-free, or am I going to develop a nervous twitch? :)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: Just how difficult is building your own pc?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 03:20:16 PM »
Builing a PC is a lot easier than it was say 10 years ago.  A lot of setups are auto configured and pretty easy.  When I did my first computer, I had to set jumpers and dip switches for some settings on processor speed and front side bus, and years before that it was even more tricky.  Today and over the last several years almost everything is auto-configure/setup and all you have to really do is make sure that all cables are plugged in and to the right spot.

There are countless of How To Build PC webpages and videos out there.  Check out Youtube since video can help as you can see someone do it instead of text/pictures.

If you're thinking about it, I'd ask yourself a few questions.  Do you like to tinker with stuff?  Are you at least pretty good on assembly of stuff?  Say furniture, kids toys, DVD/TV setup?  How is your computer knowledge?  You know at least the basics of CPU, RAM, Hard drive etc?

Do you know of anyone personally that has more experience with computers than you?  That is, maybe built one themselves?  Having a physical person there helping you with the first time build can teach you a lot and avoid a lot of headaches.  If I didn't have my buddies there to help with my first build, I would have been lost myself.

And if you do decide to do it, the frequent forum geeks here can help out immensely.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 03:49:51 PM »
Case
Motherboard
Central Processing Unit(CPU)
Random Access Memory(RAM)
Hard Drive(HDD)
Power Supply Unit(PSU)
Videocard
CD Drives
Cooling(CPU Fan, Case Fans, Etc)

Basically the only things you need to build a comp, not nearly as hard as you would think. Sometimes there is other things you need like a Modem if your using Dial-up. The real trick is getting compatible parts, your comp should be built around your PSU and Motherboard. I probably learned one of the worst ways, by taking apart my first comp and then putting it back together because I was having cooling problems after that I read up on a lot of stuff and eventually you just catch one and things start to click. As Fulmar explain there are plenty of sites with information on how to build comps. and explain how everything works. For the most part everything in a computer is just plug in, hookup 1 - 2 wires, and install drivers and it's good. Feel free to ask questions and I'll be happy to help, and plenty of other guys I'm sure.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 03:50:29 PM »
Hey all,

I am not a computer guy, by any means.  When the machine breaks, it goes into the shop.  I don't know how to fix them, I don't know how to clean them, and I certainly don't know how to upgrade them.

That said,  my machine is getting older, louder, and probably on its deathbed.  I'm getting a little sick of going a few weeks at a time without it as it's in the shop, and I'm not happy at all about the prospect of overpaying some company to send me a prebuilt PC that's going to have all the headaches of vista in it.

I've noticed from these threads that I could save a ton of money, and spare myself the horrors of vista, by building a machine by myself...  The question is...  Just how easy is it to do?  When you open these things up, are they largely plug & play?  Have any of you that share my technical ineptitude managed to pull this off?  Are the instructions straight forward, or do you need to know several languages?

I was thinking about ordering a few parts at a time, as they go on sale, while I use my current machine until it dies.  Hopefully a few things (Monitor) I can get some use out of right now, while others (XP) I can buy now while they're still available.

You think I could pull this off relatively hassle-free, or am I going to develop a nervous twitch? :)

Skillset you need is can you follow directions, can you plug in wires, ...its not hard, you dont need to be a techno geek to build one, only know how to read, and follow directions, look on the internet for help when you get stumped, and take your time.

Balsy

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 03:55:50 PM »
Not too difficult to do, 1 thing to add to AirFlyers list would be a second computer on hand to look up answers to any questions that arise during the build or program/driver installations.

Check some of the older threads for a wealth of info and tips about problems we encountered during our builds.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 04:26:48 PM »
I'm not joking here, It's just like Legos. Only you get to turn it on when your done. If you have any questions just post them here. Someone will be more than happy to help. If you're building a gaming machine you will probably save 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of a manufactured one from Dell or HP. I posted in a thread somewhere the steps to take. They can vary somewhat though.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 05:42:52 PM »
Yeah, listen to these guys here...  It's easy...And I'm not saying it just cuz I'm a tech-head..  Just remember to discharge yourself of static before touching anything..  Don't build it anywhere near carpeting if you want to be safe....  Or get one of those static wrist straps from RatShack (Radio Shack).. 

Building a system is much less expensive than buying some factory built junk from Dell or whoever else..  When you buy a factory built system, you are paying mainly for the useless software they give you....  Hell!!  Some don't even give you the restore discs anymore!  You get a restore partition on your hard drive...  And if your hard drive fails, you're outa luck!! 

I build stuff for friends from time to time as well as build my own stuff..  It's pretty easy..  Buy the parts, install 'em, install your OS, do all the updates...  Viola..  You can do it all in an after noon.... 

If you are using it only for AH, you definitely don't need the best stuff..  You can get away with older hardware..  I played the game on a P4 3.0 ghz with 1 gig of ram for over a year..  My video card was a Geforce 6800GS..  I was still getting decent frame rates will 4X Anti-Aliasing at 1280X1024 resolution..  You can pick up some older hardware from eBay pretty darn cheap these days! 
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 05:47:05 PM »
Thanks guys :)

I guess I can do it...  I figure I'll buy a copy of XP while it's still available, and the rest can wait...

Except, perhaps, for a new monitor to take advantage of the new goodies AH is about to offer :D  :rock
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 06:28:46 PM »
It's pretty easy, I looked at a few step by step guides online and went to it,
If I can do it, any primate can.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 06:49:28 PM »
Building it's the easy part.  Educating yourself so that you're buying the right components to get what you want out of them is more difficult.

I just did my first build in March.  I spent almost 3 months researching and assembling the parts list.  The actual assembly took about 3 hours (which would have been faster if I hadn't confused myself by reading the "directions"... which are supplied with each component and don't always "mesh").  Software installation, updates and tweaking took about another 5 hours but I had a lot of data to transfer.

I'd suggest that you start assembling your parts list and post it here for review.  You'll get a lot of good advice.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 07:42:19 PM »
Yes Yes!! To BaldEagl you listen!! 
Knowing what parts you want is the important part..  But, on top of that, depends what you want to get..  Find out what the current specifications of your system now..  There are probably a few components you can re-use such as your CD/DVD rom/burners.
If you need help with this, let me know..  I'd be glad to help you out..  Let me know what your dollar limit is and I can give you a few options via TigerDirect/NewEgg/eBay.. 

As for WindowsXP:  If you know anyone that goes to a state college, they can buy a copy of WindowsXP for around $30.00..
But, since XP is not longer in production, I wouldn't be surprised if most schools are out of them..  Online is probably your best bet as you'll get the best price compared to finding one at a store..  You can always check CraigsList too!!

PM me if you require any assistance in knowing what parts to get..  I'd be happy to help you.. :rock

Building it's the easy part.  Educating yourself so that you're buying the right components to get what you want out of them is more difficult.

I just did my first build in March.  I spent almost 3 months researching and assembling the parts list.  The actual assembly took about 3 hours (which would have been faster if I hadn't confused myself by reading the "directions"... which are supplied with each component and don't always "mesh").  Software installation, updates and tweaking took about another 5 hours but I had a lot of data to transfer.

I'd suggest that you start assembling your parts list and post it here for review.  You'll get a lot of good advice.
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »
It's very easy and just in the squad you've got a half done "techies" to help you. If I remember Mwave will actually buildout and test the motherboard CPU combo for like $5 extra...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 09:17:12 PM »
I've done it Vudak, it isn't terribly difficult.

I live close enough to you, if you run into problems, I am more than willing to stop by and help you.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 09:24:31 PM »
Baldegle is correct. Research the parts. I built a pretty good machine but I was lucky somewhat. I hit on the right parts and am way happy about it. I remember Baldegle doin the research. Once you find some good components post them here so we can all have a luck. Every now and then Skuzzy jumps aboard.

May I be the first to suggest starting with a PC Power and Cooling Power Supply. One of the best around.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 11:59:05 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions and offers for help, everyone :aok  :salute

I won't actually be attempting this (hopefully) for another three to four months, but when I do, I'll be sure to check the recent threads, get an idea of what is being suggested, then put together a list and have you all take a look at it...

I do have one question I could use answered before that though...  And perhaps it is one that will make you cringe at the thought of me trying to do this all myself  :lol but...  I want to buy XP now while it's still around (The State college thing is an option I will look into, btw), but, just from looking on newegg...  There are several different versions, and I'm not sure which one I'd actually need...

I assume I need the "Home Edition" (not just the upgrade)...  But they have several different options, that vary widely in price...  For example, they have a SP2 for $191.49, and SP3 "For System Builders" for $89.99...  What one do I need?
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group