Author Topic: CV Driving  (Read 480 times)

Offline craig666

• Zinc Member
      • http://myspace.com/craiglieberman
CV Driving
« on: August 14, 2008, 12:52:09 PM »
Hi Guys;
I'm a big fan of the CV and in particular, the 5 inch guns.  Lately, I've been finding that some people are reluctant to give up control of the CV for obvious reasons.  My ranking is usually in the 500 to 900 range, so I fully admit that I'm not the top dog.  That's not my issue.

My issue is that even when higher ranked folks are running the CV, they're nowhere near it.

I can appreciate the notion of maintaining good SA in running a CV...I constantly use F5 exterior view to assess threats from torpedoes, high air cons, low air cons, etc., navigating away from Shore Batteries, PT spawns, etc.

When used properly and with two good 5 inch gunners on board, the CV is a difficult target.  In fact, last week, I paired up with someone and between the two of us, we landed 100 kills+ on the same day, in two sessions.  Just Monday, my partner and I racked up more than 90 kills in one session over a 2 hour period during which the enemy threw everything at us...PT Boats, low bombers, high bombers, 234's, you name it. This despite being only 5K off shore of an enemy airfield.  In fact, it was so ridiculous, pilots from the other side were chatting up Channel 200...to which I replied "there's nothing preventing you from taking off in the opposite direction, circling around for altitude, THEN attacking, as opposed to coming in on the deck right off the end of the runway."  And no, we were NOT vulching the field...planes were feet wet before started targeting them.

My point is that I believe that if you're NOT on a CV, control should be automatically released to someone who IS. I wonder how others feel about this topic.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: CV Driving
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 12:54:32 PM »
search the threads... it has been beaten to death.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline craig666

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:58:07 PM »
You guys always say "Search the forums".  I did.  Under "Cv Command,"  "CV driving", "Release the CV."  Sorry you regulars feel these questions are being repeated, but if this site's search function was worth a turd, you wouldn't have this problem.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 01:43:19 PM »
I think to keep control of CV then the person should either have to be in sector in an aircraft/LVT, in CV tower/hangar or in guns.  As soon as they move away it should automatically release command.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline smokey23

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 03:31:02 PM »
Ive brought this up before : If someone takes command of a CV group they should be stuck on the ship only able to man one of the multiple manned ack guns onboard any of the ships in the group if they try an up a plane it should say " cannot up that plane from this field" or some type of message. That will weed out the ones that take command just to up and fly off leaving the CV to get bombed or torpedo'd with no one at the helm.I have members of my squad that are very good at out-turning bombers and dodging torps but they cant seem to take control of the cv because someone with a slightly higher rank has it and has flown off to some furball half a sector away.IMHO
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 03:33:39 PM by smokey23 »

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 03:44:20 PM »
Maybe even take it one step further so that the one commanding it has to be in the conning tower to _keep_ command.

If you are aloneand have to jump in a gun to defend than the chanses are that the higher ranked player wont be botherd jumping to the conning tower just to be in command.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 10:53:41 PM »
Many people have made excellent suggestions I think Hitech just hasnt decided what he wants to do about it or if any solution will make a real difference. The reason search cant find this particular type of post is that 'CV' is too short a term I think.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:55:24 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 10:57:03 PM »
Ive brought this up before : If someone takes command of a CV group they should be stuck on the ship only able to man one of the multiple manned ack guns onboard any of the ships in the group if they try an up a plane it should say " cannot up that plane from this field" or some type of message. That will weed out the ones that take command just to up and fly off leaving the CV to get bombed or torpedo'd with no one at the helm.I have members of my squad that are very good at out-turning bombers and dodging torps but they cant seem to take control of the cv because someone with a slightly higher rank has it and has flown off to some furball half a sector away.IMHO

Have to disagree. I dont want some noob turning the boat when Im trying to takeff and land and I will take it from whoever has it for that situation.

Carry on.  :rock
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 02:46:03 AM »
Have to disagree. I dont want some noob turning the boat when Im trying to takeff and land and I will take it from whoever has it for that situation.

Carry on.  :rock

Seriously though. If you cant take off and land from a cv when its turning you need to practise. Its really easy even with ord if you know how to use the rudder and disable autotakeoff. Its been years since a turning cv has been a problem for me, and i fly with a mouse.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 02:55:43 AM »
I would PM the guy in cv command and ask him to release.  If I didn't get a response inside 2 min, they could be fighting, I would SCREAM IN CAPS on country channel "so-N-so release CV xyz.  Your about to get it sunk....PeenAce" or some such thing.

However, getting ranked into the top 100 is so freakin easy.

Offline craig666

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 12:15:58 PM »
Ahhh, as for taking off on a turning CV, I don't see why this is such a problem for pilots.  Unless the CV is literally in the midst of a tight U-turn, some rudder work ALWAYS gets me airborne.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 12:41:02 PM »
Even if I outrank the CV driver and I want to control it, I don't take it from him provided that he's competent and paying attention.  Way too often people grab the CV out from under someone who's actively controlling it and then don't pay it a whit of attention.

There should be some sort of basic knowledge quiz that you have to pass before you're allowed to control CVs:

1.  How can you tell where enemy PT boats might spawn to attack the fleet? (show spawn points on the map)
2.  If approaching close to an enemy airfield, what are the primary targets of fighters launching from the carrier? (the shore batteries and ords)
3.  What tactic is best for avoiding torpedos? (zig-zag)
etc.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 12:53:46 PM »
Seriously though. If you cant take off and land from a cv when its turning you need to practise. Its really easy even with ord if you know how to use the rudder and disable autotakeoff. Its been years since a turning cv has been a problem for me, and i fly with a mouse.

I fly with a cat.. cat beats mouse.. w00t!
Joking aside, i fly with a mouse too, and it's rare to see anyone with a mouse these days. So <S> to you or any other mouse flyers out there.  :salute

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 01:29:25 PM »
I think to keep control of CV then the person should either have to be in sector in an aircraft/LVT, in CV tower/hangar or in guns.  As soon as they move away it should automatically release command.
:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"