Author Topic: Gunnery Tips  (Read 565 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Gunnery Tips
« on: August 14, 2008, 08:13:35 PM »
I posted this in a private forum which proved to be of some use, I am re-posting it here in case it can help anyone else...

Three "mechanical" tips to improving your fighter gunnery that you may not think about...

1) When you are controlling the stick and firing at the same time just the act of squeezing the trigger, if done too hard or if your stick grip is too loose, can throw your shot off. You tend to squeeze your whole hand to fire, not just that one finger, this will mess up your aim. When I get into a fight I'll first get a really good grip on the stick, not hard just firm, then gently lay my trigger finger on the fire button at the ready.

2) Over controlling with rudder. This is a common mistake people with pedals make, I do it myself sometimes. You'll over-control with rudder to alter the nose pitch for a deflection angle,  but in doing so you get too far out of plane with the bandit or off the natural deflection angle. Then if you try to correct at the last instant you'll get a nose-bounce effect. Try to avoid anything but very fine rudder control when going to guns.

3) Be very careful with your head. When my aim is off it's usually me tilting my head or even leaning my torso into the angle of my plane's turn. This distorts your visual perception of the deflection angle. So, be very conscious of keeping your head and neck perfectly straight while maneuvering for a deflection shot
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 09:09:04 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Re: Gunnery Tips
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 12:50:06 PM »
Like throwing a foot ball across a field to meet a running receiver you need to send your bullets in the same manner.

Sometimes when following a bomber from distance and under him you will need to shoot just below him for the bullets to meet the target. Shooting directly at him will make the bullets pass just over the plane.

Shooting from directly behind him at close range it no problem but add some distance and you will need to shoot just above him because the bullets will begin to fall.     

Make the bullets meet the target.
                                                                               >>>>        Blue Cannon        Red MG   

Shooting in a high G turn as you both go round and round takes even more of an educated guess. Most of my shots happen this way.

I'll be following my prey in a tight turn, pull ahead of him by increasing my g's aggressively, then taking my best guess release a bit of pressure off the stick for the shot and pull the trigger for the kill. At this time he is well below my cockpit and I can't even see him. Most times during this maneuver I'll take his tail off but others times I'll hit him right in the wings or cockpit depending on the G's I've pulled trying to get ahead of him.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 01:44:15 PM by A8TOOL »

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
Re: Gunnery Tips
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »
Really helpful guys  TY

:salute
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.