Author Topic: Engaging Multiple Enemies Clinic  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Engaging Multiple Enemies Clinic
« on: August 14, 2008, 06:21:03 PM »
Sunday evening, 9 PM in the Training Arena. Field A4, vox 111.

We will be flying 3 on 1 and 2 on 1.

This is not dueling, but an open MA type of environment where each player will have the opportunity to fight two or three enemies at a time. There are no rules governing what style a player may employ. There are no restrictions on how close or far you must be from the enemy. Most fights begin up around 10K, but invariably end up in the weeds. There are no restrictions on what you fly, except no jets or bombers (attack aircraft like the A-20, SBD, D3a, etc are allowed).

Aside from providing players with an opportunity to expand their SA, it's also a chance to work as a team with pilots you've like never flown with. What you do in this clinic will translate directly into your MA flying. We've held many of these in the past and everyone had a great time. You will gain experience in assessing threats and judging E states of several enemies at the same time. It substantially increases your workload, and will quickly find any flaws in aspects of you game that you can concentrate on improving.

Rules do exist, but only to govern what constitutes being shot down and how that is handled and to prevent abuse. It works on the honor system. If you are one of the two or three, any hit to the cockpit glass is considered a killing shot. Upon taking such as hit, you turn on air show smoke and exit the fight. Upon flying out of icon range, you may rejoin the fight. The purpose of this is provide positive reinforcement to the lone pilot fighting off the 2 or 3. It also prevents a perpetual gangbang, assuming you can shoot down one or two. This rule does not apply to the single pilot. However, at any time the group can break off and reset the fight. This is encouraged, especially if the lone defender is clearly overwhelmed. It's not a beat-down session, it's training and continuously ganging a defenseless pilots gains nothing for any of the participants.

I will assign group leaders where needed. Group leaders will be picked based upon experience and judgment. This leader will decide if the fight needs to be reset. If he calls for a disengagement, players are expected to comply. At any time, the lone defender can call a halt to the fight. If he does, he rotates out of the defender spot.

All pilots will rotate into the defender role. How fast and frequently that occurs is dependent on factors that will constantly be in flux. Typically, I will call a halt at intervals and everyone will tower-out and re-spawn. A five minute break between rounds will allow players to do their personal things.

Pilots who auger may immediately re-up and return to their group.

No one will be keeping score. Run film and review it later. Much can be learned from film.

So, stop by guys. You'll help yourself and have a great time.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: Engaging Multiple Enemies Clinic
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 08:19:10 PM »
This is almost worth re-subbing for.. and I just might....
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 08:31:42 PM »
I am in !
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 09:29:16 PM »
i'm in..........i'm pretty poor at fighting more than one con. helll...i'm pretty poor at fighting a single con.....

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 10:03:21 PM »
will you guys re run this later? i would love to come but dont get off work till 9 on sunday. 

oh wait this sunday i am off work.  still will you guys re run this at some point? i would probably want multiple sessions like this.

ill definetly be there. im pretty decent one con throw in 2 it gets harder/ 3 im overwhelmed. though i have had some sucess against newer pilots.

also i would love to get some trusted pilots in the D.A. some of the regulars.  vudak in paticular to work with me on this. same concept we could all take turns. though id prob be better in the ta as defender could get multiple chances to screw up.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:06:44 PM by goober69 »
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 10:32:58 PM »
These are great practice sessions set up by Widewing  For those of you who will participate, let me offer some things to think about before you get to the arena.

1. Use your lookout to spot ALL bandits in the vicinity.
   a.  Your most vulnerable position and likely avenue of approach is your high six.  Check it first. 
   b.  Do a couple of quick wing dips to make sure your low six is clear.  Your low six is blind unless you maneuver your aircraft so you can clear it visually.  It's a favorite position to sneak up on the unsuspecting wanderer.

2. Assess the relative threat from each bandit.  Relative threat can, and will, change.  Here's what to look for in priority order:
   a.  Proximity:  This is the alligator closest to the boat.  The guy who can get guns on you quickest.  If there's a guy getting ready to gun your brains out defend against him first.
   b.  Advantage:  This is the guy who has an e or position advantage that will allow him to set up for a kill shot.  Maybe not right this minute, but just as your attention is elsewhere.
   c.  Aircraft:  The guy with the "best" airplane is not necessarily the biggest threat.  He may be too far away, have lower e or altitude, maybe he's not aggressive or unable to position for a good attack.
   d.  Pilot:  Hummmm...what does this mean?  Ultimately, you're fighting the enemy pilot, not his plane so you need to get a good feel for who's who in the zoo.  As the fight progresses, you'll be able to easily figure out who's the biggest pest and who can't hit the broad side of a barn.  This will take time but at the very beginning of the fight you can also make some rough guesses of pilot skill.  Does a bandit just dive in trying to beat everyone else to you?  If so, he probably isn't the best of the pilots.  Can he not figure out how to attack you without it becoming a HO?  In a many vs one there's really no reasonable justification for a bandit to SET UP HIS ATTACK as a HO although it can easily turn into one as you turn into him to neutralize the threat.

3.  Prioritize.  Let's say the bandits are a P51 5k above you and a Zeke co-alt.  Which is the biggest threat to you?  It depends.  Are you faster than the Zeke?  Is the Pony aggressive or just sticking his nose in occasionally to keep things interesting for you?  In my case, I'll almost always go for the Zeke right away because that little bugger will follow you around till the cows come home while the Pony will probably stay fast, probably too fast, and be relatively easy to defend against.

4. Isolate the threat sector.  When fighting against a more numerous threat, you want to get them together in a group.  That way, you can worry less about multiple attacks from multiple directions.  Extend away from the group or offset to one side.  The best way to isolate the threat sector is to be above them.  Let them try to come up to you and pick 'em off as they climb.

5.  Get the bandits "in phase".  This is a follow-on to isolating the threat sector.  If you're successful in keeping the bandits together in the same piece of sky it's easier to keep track of them.  If you can get them real close together so that they're attacking at the same time then a defense against one is a defense against both.  A shot opportunity on one can easily become a shot opportunity on either or both.

6.  Think survival and attacks of opportunity.  By definition, you are defensive because you're outnumbered. 
   a. You have to first defend against attackers while looking for an opportunity to attack yourself.  When I say "look for an opportunity" I don't mean just do break turns and hope someone flies in front of you. 
   b. You need to think at least two steps ahead and set up your defense so it lets you set up a good offensive opportunity.  Here's where isolating the threat helps.  Say you've isolated two bandits with altitude behind you.  As the two bandits turn to follow you they will typically line up in trail of each other (unless they're smart and stay in combat spread).  If they're in spread, make an easy turn during your extension to force them into a lead trail formation. 
   c.  As the first bandit dives in to attack start a turn to force an overshoot but what you really need to be thinking is how is this defense going to set up an attack on the second bandit?  Keep track of the trail bandit so that you can plan your turn to not only force the first bandit to overshoot but to give yourself a shot opportunity on the trailer.  Worst case, you want to take the trailer 180 out and extend away again.  Best case, you get a good snapshot opportunity on the trailer while turning in a direction that points you back toward the first bandit. 
   d.  There are many variations but what I'm saying here is to think ahead, don't just react.   Try to make every maneuver one that will achieve two objectives, negate or kill one bandit while setting yourself up for the second bandit.

7.  Some other thoughts:
   a. Treat E like breathing, you gotta have it. 
   b. Use the art of "just enough".  Why do a six G break turn into a bandit who will overshoot if you just pull three G's?  You're burning E unnecessarily. 
   c. Take every opportunity you can to extend away.  Extending will let you regain some E and help to keep the threat isolated.  If you keep your E up a many vs one will turn into a series of quick engagements with shot opportunities separated by extensions. 
   d.  Don't worry about some banana on Ch 200 taunting you for "running".  He's trying to get into your head and make you do something stupid.
   e.  Plan your extensions to "move the fight" toward a more advantageous environment for you.  Getting away from the mountains gives you altitude to covert to speed.  Getting closer to friendlies evens up the odds.  Get near Ack and the bandits now have to worry about your little automatic wingmen on the ground.
   f.  Unless you have a significant e advantage over both/all of the bandits it's generally not a great idea to go vertical.  In RL, this is known as a "bandit gathering maneuver" cause as soon as you go up they will all come after you.  That's not to say you shouldn't still use the vertical, you have to, but limit yourself.  Don't go pure vertical, don't let yourself get roped, don't let yourself get slow (as in less than 200-250mph).  Stay with oblique maneuvers (yo-yo's, wingovers, barrel rolls, etc.)
   g.  Do NOT saddle up on a bandit for more than a few seconds unless you know for sure the other bandits are out of position.  There are many dead guys who said "I only need a few more seconds".  As soon as you lose track of one of the other bandits break off the attack and find him.
   h.  Practice high-deflection snap-shots.  These are the shots that will help you whittle down the enemy and even the odds.
   i.  Try to stay unpredictable.  If you've defended with a right turn followed by a barrel-role over the top maybe you should set up the next as a barrel-role underneith or just a plain break turn while he expects you to pull nose-up.

In closing, winning a 1v1 is great fun but winning or even just surviving a hard-core 1 v Many is even better.

Mace
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:40:12 PM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline pangea

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 12:42:07 PM »
9 PM Eastern?

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 12:58:20 PM »
sounds like fun, though 2am little late for me. ;)
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 01:07:45 PM »
will be there

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 01:07:56 PM »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 04:39:40 AM »
would love to partecipate, but its 3 a.m. here; any chance of a re-edition for us Eu????
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 09:09:11 AM »
would love to partecipate, but its 3 a.m. here; any chance of a re-edition for us Eu????

It's certainly possible that one of our EU trainers could organize one compatible with you time zone. We'll see if any chime in...

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 11:22:10 AM »
Ill be there, thanks for taking the time Widewing   :salute
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 11:54:41 AM »
if at all possible i will be there,
 i love the 1 vs many, to me that's where the fights at, this will give me some good target practice, for that is were i am sorely lacking.

oh ya
Widewing   <S> to you, its people like you that truly make this game Great!!!!!

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 06:53:45 AM »
Would have really liked to shown up, but was busy :(.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer