Author Topic: Heavy Flak in Combat Theater  (Read 132 times)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Heavy Flak in Combat Theater
« on: August 09, 2001, 10:30:00 PM »
It's breaking up good dogfights at high altitude.  Doubtful that real gunners could identify the enemy planes out of a swirling swarm of enemy and friendly fighters at 20k, even more doubtful that they could individually target the bad guys.

With a group of intermixed friendlies and enemies, the flak should either fire at everybody or fire at nobody.  Obviously the former is going to make for some very grumpy customers, so I'd choose the latter.

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2001, 10:50:00 PM »
It is also a quasi-icon system because it identifies enemy aircraft at ranges beyound 3.0 for you.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2001, 12:23:00 AM »
rgr that karnak.i would tel friend from foe at longranges if i knew which task force qwas in the area..

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2001, 04:23:00 AM »
On the flak idea, I agree it ought to fire at everybody or noone at all in that situation.
Not to be oppositional, but I think it ought to be the former.......would tend to make folks think twice about fighting over their own fleet, hoping to have the acks kill someone and them get the credit for the kill.  If it fires at the whole gaggle of combatants, and might hit a friendly, what could be more realistic/historical?  Both sides had friendly fire incidents.
Possible solution:  Someone on the fleet's side could have a dot command--.cease fire (??) they could type in to shut down the flak if they wanted to.  Not sure how hard it would be to program in, but it would give the friendlies the option of taking their chances in the ack, or shutting off so they won't be a friendly fire casualty.
Oh, and one more thing?  At least for the Combat Theater, couldn't we have all AI acks kills credited to the acks?  Not to the pilots, but the acks.  Just a thought before work...............

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2001, 04:34:00 AM »
Another thought....(coffee and a smoke wakes me up)....make the dot command uavailable in flight?  Or make it so that you have to assume command of the fleet BEFORE taking flight.  Either way, ya got to have the foresight to plan ahead.  Just another before-work thought.................  ;)

Offline Kingonads

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2001, 03:54:00 PM »
Ive been gunned down by "freindly" fire ack before in the MA.

Hodo

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2001, 08:10:00 PM »
S!

Historically, fleet based aircraft made their interceptions out of the range of Fleet guns.  The problem of identifying betweeen Friend and Foe was such that Flak gunners generally fired at anything approaching their ship.

There are many cases of US/British/Japanese gunners shooting down their own planes.

Flak is also WAY too effective.

Reduce the accuracy of high alt. level bombers, reduce accuracy of large caliber flak guns, keep the small caliber stuff the way it is.