Author Topic: TRAINING ARENA CROSS HAIR  (Read 572 times)

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
TRAINING ARENA CROSS HAIR
« on: August 17, 2008, 10:23:26 PM »
Was wondering if their is anyway to get rid of the green cross-hair in the TA?..I realize it helps,but I have a feeling that I could do better in training if I didnt have it,and I am really hoping their is a way to turn it off...

Thanks,
                                                   Falcon23 :salute

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
Re: TRAINING ARENA CROSS HAIR
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 10:25:46 PM »
Seconded, I've found it to be unhelpful when trying to learn to dive-bomb, as I always know where my bombs will land, thus defeating the point of learning where they will land.

<S>

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 10:45:21 PM »
I too would like a way to toggle it on and off. :aok
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 11:38:25 PM »
Seconded, I've found it to be unhelpful when trying to learn to dive-bomb, as I always know where my bombs will land, thus defeating the point of learning where they will land.

<S>

Yossarian

If I may suggest, for divebombing a good use of that crosshair is to learn the optium dive angle to approach the target from.  The slower the predicted impact point moves across the ground the better.  Rather than looking for that split second to release the bomb, one should be looking for the approach that gives the longest window for releasing the bomb and still hitting the target.  When too steep one may notice that it is difficult to make minor adjustments to hit the target, too shallow, and it's easy to overshoot or undershoot the target without perfect timing.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 11:41:12 PM »
Was wondering if their is anyway to get rid of the green cross-hair in the TA?..I realize it helps,but I have a feeling that I could do better in training if I didnt have it,and I am really hoping their is a way to turn it off...

Thanks,

A Trainer can disable it temporarly upon request, but this request should be posted in wishlist.  The divebomb site is an arena setting, and HTC would need to add an option to the game for individuals to disable it.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 12:30:56 AM »
If I may suggest, for divebombing a good use of that crosshair is to learn the optium dive angle to approach the target from.  The slower the predicted impact point moves across the ground the better.  Rather than looking for that split second to release the bomb, one should be looking for the approach that gives the longest window for releasing the bomb and still hitting the target.  When too steep one may notice that it is difficult to make minor adjustments to hit the target, too shallow, and it's easy to overshoot or undershoot the target without perfect timing.

I agree completely with what you're saying, and I have been trying to do what you say here.  However, in planes such as the B-25H, if you stay in the dive for more than a few seconds you're very likely to rip your wings off on the pull-out, so you need to be able to make these decisions quickly.  So far I've been using the markings on the artificial horizon with very little success, but I'm beginning to get a feel for it.

<S>

Yossarian
O o

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 05:28:16 PM »
Yea murdr,I only asked here to see if it was possible..and since it cant be individually toggled on and off,I would request that this thread be moved to WISHLIST forum..

Thanks,

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 05:38:33 PM »
I agree completely with what you're saying, and I have been trying to do what you say here.  However, in planes such as the B-25H, if you stay in the dive for more than a few seconds you're very likely to rip your wings off on the pull-out, so you need to be able to make these decisions quickly.  So far I've been using the markings on the artificial horizon with very little success, but I'm beginning to get a feel for it.

<S>

Yossarian

Being a bit of a B-25 junkie myself I'm also a history nut.  To that end I like to bring 25's in low over bases and towns and release bombs on the deck.  I've found that I can take out the smaller targets, town buildings, ammo bunkers, fuel tanks, etc.  If I load 250 lb bombs come in low and fairly level, strafing to try and knock out some of the ack in my path then switching and releasing my bombs as the target disappears under the nose, I usually salvo 2 250lbs with a slight delay to increase my chances but I've had success hitting what I'm aiming at.  AAA can be a problem and I've been torn up a few times but I love reading about those strafer B-25's in the pacific and I just can't help it. :)

Anything bigger than 250lbs and I tend to blow myself up, which has been a source of great amusement for my squaddies on more than one occasion.  :)

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 11:55:18 PM »
I'll have to try that when I get back, it sounds fun  :)  So far I've been focusing on killing GVs, however I've so far built up a healthy dislike of anything labelled "FLAK".  I've personally preferred the 1000lbs for bomb work, however I'll try and make a switch to the smaller bombs soon.

Now if only HTC would add the ords options for B-25H rockets, torpedo, parachute bombs etc.  :)

<S>

Yossarian
O o

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 12:15:53 AM »
I have the uber advantage of not seeing what I look at due to an eye disease.....I can make that cross-hair disappear by looking at it(unfortunately it works with planes too).
Lagger

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 12:17:43 AM »
Murder, all due respect Sir, but I wish to reiterate a point. It should be an option that can be enabled and disabled.

Having it enabled allows one to accurately bomb in the TA. It does not provide a learning tool unless it can be turned off once an individual see's where his bombs are hitting in relation to his dive angle and gunsight.

Once in one of the MA /AVA / Scenario arena's this option is no longer available. People need / want to learn how their gunbsights work for the angle and speed for which they drop.

I'm not sure ow much pull you have with HTC (I suspect it is as limited as any trainer), or if you are able to adjust those kinds of settings in the TA ir not, but it is a thought.

<S>

RTR
The Damned

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 01:23:49 AM »
It should be an option that can be enabled and disabled.

You're preaching to the choir.  I concluded that long long ago :)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 08:12:46 AM »

<S>

Yossarian

that's the point of it. it's there to let you learn the right mental picture to put our eggs where you want them.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 03:10:17 PM »
Soulyss,
I'd be glad to show you a low level bombing technique for the B-25 that works very well.

First, have the head position all the way back and all the way up. your target point is the bottom of the sight where the sight glass meets the frame.

Second, approach the target at 250 mph (or just a little faster) and level at 200 feet. Release the bombs as the target passes under the sight.

Third, Pull up GENTLY ( to hard and you'll rip the wings off ) you need to get to 400 feet agl before the bomb explodes. If you get to 400 feet you will suffer no damage even from a 1000lber.

If you have any questions or want a demonstration just let me know. I really like low level bombing this way.

<S> Baumer
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3