Author Topic: “Joan, don’t freak out, but there’s a bat in our room”.  (Read 600 times)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
My family spent the past week fishing and visiting Sharbot Lake, Canada.  We rented a little two bedroom apartment/cabin at a lodge.  At around 2:00 A.M. I slowly awoke to a slight rustling sound; I didn’t bother to open my eyes.  I heard a flutter of wings which I presumed was a bird that had just flown from the window sill or something.  It sounded like it flew to the other window, turned and then flew back to the first window, rinse and repeat.  As I awoke I realized that the sound was coming from inside the room, not outside the windows and that since it was the middle of the night it was probably a bat, not a bird.  This made it worth the effort of opening my eyes.  It was dark, but sure enough there was a bat flying around the tiny bedroom.  At this point I nudged my wife and said, “Joan, don’t freak out, but there’s a bat in our room”.

She didn’t freak out but held the blanket close to her chin ready to cover up in an instant.  After making a few laps the bat clumsily crash into a corner of the room and rest for a minute.  Joan was quick with the covers.   Several of these landings were just over Joan’s head; her side of the bed was only a foot from the wall.  I got the camera and took a few flash stills, then turned on the light and took a short movie clip. 

When it landed by the door I threw a towel on it and proceeded to remove the bug screen.  The bug screen was tough to remove and took a couple minutes.  After I got it off I lifted the towel (while filming again).  The bat was gone; I presumed that he had crawled under the door.  This would put him in the living room/kitchen where our three daughters (3, 6 & 9) were sleeping on the pull out couch. 

After a good search, I found nothing.  I gave the nine year old a heads up and went back to bed.  25 minutes later she called out that she heard the bat.  I opened the sliding door to the porch and waited while filming as the bat flew its pattern around the room.  Eventually I opened the main door as well, but the bat was clueless of the open doors and kept doing laps.  At one point a second bat entered the room through the door that I held open, but he left after a lap or two around the room.  We think the first bat eventually left through the porch door, but none of us definitively saw it fly out.

During our stay in Canada we caught some fish too, but that was kind of boring by comparison.

Movie:
http://hallbuzz.com/movies/2008/bat.wmv
(6 minutes, 50 MB)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:50:57 PM by eskimo2 »

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: “Joan, don’t freak out, but there’s a bat in our room”.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 06:53:51 PM »
Great Pics!

That happened to me when I was in College in Pittsburgh.

Hot summer night, windows and upstairs balcony door open. Flew right in to our apartment! We went crazy trying to get it out. My roommate was in his room with his headphones on when it flew into his room, We all laughed when he shouted in fright.

It finally flew back out, I still laugh about that today!
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
 :rofl :aok

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 08:01:24 PM »
Wow ~ good size bat!!! We see bats around here (not indoors), but none ever that big. Nicely done brave little 9-year-old. :aok
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 08:08:21 PM »
I live near 2 of the largest colonies in the state....maybe united states for that matter. Anyway...we used to get them in the building I worked in before being moved to the one Im in curently.

One night we have one flying up and down the hallway near the computer room when it was over there. Just buzzing us if we walked out the door. So I saw it fly into the dark office...I told my supervisor that one of the monitors in there had messed up. HE went to look at it and we closed thr door as he went on......OMG....He came out white as a ghost and cussing us all. That bat had scared him slap dab to death...and he was like 62 at the time.

It was a big laff for a long time.

One night on the way home from work...one of the colonies that is near my house....were launching for the nights dinner....There were so many that on the 10:00 news...they showed how they had made a radar blip like a rain shower blowing up....it only lasted a few seconds but there were enough to show up.

Kind of cool watching em fly around at night.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 10:08:46 PM »
Canada is a big country. Sharbot Lake is Ontario.

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 10:14:36 PM »
very cool great pics  :aok  cool vid. too  :D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:18:33 PM by 007Rusty »
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 08:28:18 AM »
Thats why I use lazercast bullets for the nightstand gun.. they are made with real silver.

lazs

Offline MoeRon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:39:59 AM »
Important to learn that bats are our friends, a typical colony of those can consume a half million pounds of mosquitos every night. :aok
Lotteries are a tax for people who suck at math.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 08:44:14 AM »
At least you had breakfast...

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 02:49:11 PM »
Important to learn that bats are our friends, a typical colony of those can consume a half million pounds of mosquitos every night. :aok

My wife's first comment was, "At least we don't have any mosquitoes."

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 03:30:04 PM »
Where did you guys vacation - the BATCAVE?!    :D
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 03:35:14 PM »
RABIES! :O

That must have been fun. :)
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 03:44:31 PM »
Happened to me once.  Was watching TV by myself in the middle of the day when a bat flew in and started flying into the walls.  It never landed, it just kept ping ponging all over the place.  After about 30 seconds of shock I went over to the front door and opened it, and opened the screen door, and held it open.  About 20 seconds later the bat found its own way out.  Hasn't happened since.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 10:26:13 AM »
Hey !! That mouse has wings !!

All i could think about was the Dan Akroyd / John Candy scene in that vacation movie and the tennis racket - still laff--
I know i would have run out of the room covering my head and screaming like a sissy girl :)

Cool pics   :aok

NwBie

Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."