Author Topic: Mythbusters On Talking Planes Down  (Read 2349 times)

Offline thedudee95

• Copper Member
Re: Mythbusters On Talking Planes Down
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 04:02:24 AM »
ok wat if she was blonde? wait no too stupid to be on mythmusters....a brunet? why not? :aok

No matter wat, she is still hot!

alteast from neck to toe she is :devil

Offline Talon07

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 04:03:42 AM »
I like her. Not the hottest but more than tolerable. Lusche we all know you have strange taste. Being a non human does that. :) only joking mate.
Regards FBClaw
FBClaw of the Freebirds

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 04:09:40 AM »
As far as flying successfully, cold with no experience in a real life, full-scale simulator... Been There, Done That.

Worked at Boeing several years ago, and had never done any flight sim at all (and I'm not a pilot).  Seems at different periods of the year there is alot of unbooked time in the flight sims used to train the airline pilots.  Boeing allowed employees to use that sim time (by appointment), and this included an in-cabin instructor and the whole shebang.

In WWII, my father had been a Central Fire Control Engineer in B29's flying over the Hump and later over Japan. So, for his birthday I wangled us both some flight time in the 737 sim.  Figured he'd like that and he really did.  Best damn present I ever got him.  And even thought the Old Man was never a pilot, he seemed to know more about aircraft and flying than the instructor, even correcting him on a couple of slip-ups about the 737 flight controls.

It actually seemed reasonable to me at the time that he should, since the Old Man was a big deal mechanical engineer and project manager for the Austin Co., which designed and built most of Boeing's buildings.  It's why we moved to Seattle in 1959.

Anyway, Dad and I flew the 737 simulator all over San Francisco (where the family is from and I was born), including going UNDER the Golden Gate bridge, and later emptying the aircraft's heads (simulated) over my Grandmother's house in San Rafael (he was pissed at her at the time  :lol).  On return to the virtual airfield, the Old Man told the instructor (politely) to shut up and let him land, and made an almost perfect landing.

Can't say I did quite as good a landing as his, but we made it down on the first approach and any landing you can walkaway from...  

However, they did have to make some virtual repairs to one or two hangars, but I figure letting the passengers off via the inflatable ramps directly IN the passenger lounge made up for that.

Don't know if this means I can save the plane if all the flight crew eats the in-flight, tainted fish meal.  But I'd give it a good try.  :aok  
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 04:17:41 AM »
Lusche we all know you have strange taste.

You have not the faintest idea how right you are...  :noid
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 07:55:47 AM »
I could take an f4u4 up and land it successfully I think pretty easy. It would consist of my knowing the cock-pit little more and feeling it. I already use peddals and a joystick. I think flight training in actual school mostly teaches you the rules and also some of the physics involved its self

actual flight training consists of more air time than anything.

you can not in reality take off or land an f4u. unless you've flown them, or some other high powered aircraft before.

this game seems pretty well modeled, but it is no substitute for the real thing.

in the US, it's a minimum of 40 hours to earn your PPL(i think) and most people seem to average in the ballpark of 55-60 hours.
 i think the requirements are tougher in europe.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 07:56:52 AM »
You're either insane or gay.
(Image removed from quote.)

or he's too young to know better?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 08:00:31 AM »
I was kind of thinking the same thing, but there's some things the game doesn't require, trim is one of them. I don't know if I saw it somewhere, or heard it here, but some old P51 pilot was talking about setting the trim on his plane. He said there were some wheels you had to adjust to set the trim. I got the impression trim was adjusted regularly.

I don't know if they had a default combat trim back then, like they do in this game, but I tried to manually set my trim here a few years ago and nearly crashed the plane. Didn't know the keyboard commands to return to combat trim. I'll never try that again.to the best of my knowledge, they had to constantly re-trim according to the flight conditions, much like you do in a cessna now.

There's probably some unpleasant surprises awaiting those of us that would like to try the real thing, but we do learn some stuff here.
yes, yes there is.

It
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 08:02:48 AM »
I manually work my trims most flights already. Just need to adjust them according to what your doing. You go options prefs flight turn off auto trim. This enables u to increase you knowledge of planes and how they work which is why i turned them off. So thats no problem for me. As i said in the post , finding them in cockpit would be little difficult tho

can you give us the start-up procedure for the F4u? can you go through the engine out procedure? blindfolded?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 08:18:59 AM »
actual flight training consists of more air time than anything.

you can not in reality take off or land an f4u. unless you've flown them

You can see the basic conundrum of this, can't you?

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 08:28:10 AM »
I grew up at Altus AFB. Dad was a C-5 Flight Engineer Instructor when I got into Junior High. We'd go out to the base on Sundays after church and play in the C-5 Sims. They always did the maintance on Sunday mornings so the techs were usualy wrapping things up about the time we would get in there.

First couple of times I "flew" the C-5 I did pretty good for a 13 year old kid. Of course I had to get cocky about it, so dad went back to the instructor panel, set me up at 15 miles, straight in approach, 3500ft, 240knts indicated. NO problem!!!!! until he turned on some weather, toss in a couple of wind shears, rain, lightning, and a fire on #4  I believe I came in a bit short on that one, by about 3 miles.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 08:38:36 AM »
You can see the basic conundrum of this, can't you?

oops.....

shoulda read......"unless you've flown them inreality :aok :D

thanks
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline MoeRon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 09:07:01 AM »
I could take an f4u4 up and land it successfully I think pretty easy. It would consist of my knowing the cock-pit little more and feeling it. I already use peddals and a joystick. I think flight training in actual school mostly teaches you the rules and also some of the physics involved its self

Do you mean in a sim or real life?
Lotteries are a tax for people who suck at math.

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 09:30:15 AM »
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 09:30:32 AM »

Now thats funny right there... :rofl

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 09:50:41 AM »
...later emptying the aircraft's heads (simulated) over my Grandmother's house in San Rafael (he was pissed at her at the time  :lol).

:rofl
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli