Author Topic: Mythbusters On Talking Planes Down  (Read 2348 times)

Offline MoeRon

• Nickel Member
Re: Mythbusters On Talking Planes Down
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2008, 01:38:32 PM »
Here's a video you might enjoy.  This is how you get a F4U off the ground....

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/F4U.html

i'd have soiled myself walking up to the thing.... :D
Lotteries are a tax for people who suck at math.

Offline Dinan

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2008, 01:45:02 PM »
Now thats funny right there... :rofl

Yeah it is!  

If he ever had the chance He would ground loop the thing in the first 50ft on the take off roll...  If he could even start it and taxi it out to the runway.  

I can hear it now...  "It didn't do this in aces high!"  :lol

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2008, 02:23:48 PM »
Yeah it is!  

If he ever had the chance He would ground loop the thing in the first 50ft on the take off roll...  If he could even start it and taxi it out to the runway.  

I can hear it now...  "It didn't do this in aces high!"  :lol

I'M STILL WAITING FOR HIM TO COME BACK WITH THE START UP PROCEDURES, and the engine out procedures. :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
That Zeno video of the F4U engine management was featured here before. I remember the most telling comment from someone, who I paraphrase. 'If AH had accurate engine management on it's aircraft. The virtual countryside would be littered with blown cylinders' :rofl

Cyrano's dead man's button is the Engineer's and Air Traffic Controller's wet dream. Something to replace the pilot. I know my boss would love one.   :rolleyes:

There was a time when non pilots thought flying was really complicated. Now we have the opposite. A few hours playing with a computer game and people think they have the right stuff  :huh If you happen to watch a couple of experienced airline pilots take a jet load of pax from destination to the other. They make it look easy because between them they have thousands of hours of flying behind them. It really isn't that easy.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2008, 02:38:14 PM »
(sarcasm switch on)  Huh Uhh. My F-16 Viper I have loaded on my FS2004 is just like the real thing. A real F-16 pilot said so!!! I can fly one no problem!!! (sarcasm switch off)
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2008, 04:35:21 PM »
That's allot of air brushing and one hell of a push up bra, no way she looks that good for real.

On a scale of 1-10 I'd give her a 6.5, maybe a 7

Using tricks that makes a woman better looking?  I'm shocked!  I had no idea they did things like that!

I'm sure the eleventy billion dollar a year make up industry doesn't sell to women in in real life.

Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2008, 04:37:40 PM »
    beer works too  :aok

(Image removed from quote.)

Using tricks that makes a woman better looking?  I'm shocked!  I had no idea they did things like that!

I'm sure the eleventy billion dollar a year make up industry doesn't sell to women in in real life.

C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2008, 04:55:07 PM »
(sarcasm switch on)  Huh Uhh. My F-16 Viper I have loaded on my FS2004 is just like the real thing. A real F-16 pilot said so!!! I can fly one no problem!!! (sarcasm switch off)

HEY!!! GUESS WHAT???!!!!

a buddy of mine just offered to let me fly his SR71!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he says it's easy!!!  just fly the f16 in falcon 4.0 for a week, and i'll be ready!!!!!!!! :rofl :O :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
i recon i could land a plane myself, however that would just be the basics, flaps, gear, brakes etc.... any other controls/buttons might cause issues....
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2008, 05:31:28 PM »
i recon i could land a plane myself, however that would just be the basics, flaps, gear, brakes etc.... any other controls/buttons might cause issues....

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

STOP IT Your killing me!!!!!!!!!  :rofl :rofl Basics he says...... :rofl :rofl :rofl
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2008, 05:51:14 PM »
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

STOP IT Your killing me!!!!!!!!!  :rofl :rofl Basics he says...... :rofl :rofl :rofl

what? Ive flown real planes before, its "not that hard"....
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2008, 05:56:53 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Your before/after images point out a peeve of mine.  Something as simple as a smile can completely change the presence.  If she was smiling in both pics, you'd probably think.. awe.. she just needs a little makeup and a do. 

Even though Kari may not have the Wednesday Babe knockout body, she seems to have one HELL of a personality.  Smiles, laughs.. seems to enjoy her job.  Somebody that's fun to be around.

True beauty there.
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2008, 06:00:07 PM »
They didn't call the F4Us Ensign Killers for nothing.

Ensign ELIMINATOR.

Even with SOME training in light aircraft, as well as having flown AH and AW before it, not to mention driving very fast race cars of various types for 25 years or more, I have NO delusions about being able to actually FLY a piston engine fighter. I know about enough to get myself killed, and take out a priceless aircraft in the process. I was talking to Steve Hinton a while back, and he said once you learned to fly in something like a Cessna, you'd probably be ready for a couple of hundred hours in something like an AT-6, and then, MAYBE some dual control time in a real fighter.

Always said if I won a big lottery, I'd like to find a P-38 to have restored. But I also figured I'd buy something entry level like a Cessna (1), get my time and my tickets, sell it, buy a nice Baron (2), and then pick up an AT-6(3). I figure I could transition 1,2,3, and then go get lessons from Hinton or some one like him while they finished restoring my plane. It'd REALLY suck to hit the lottery, get the plane of my dreams, and then kill myself and wreck the plane the first day out.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:08:37 PM by Captain Virgil Hilts »
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2008, 06:21:26 PM »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2008, 06:32:45 PM »
I could take an f4u4 up and land it successfully I think pretty easy. It would consist of my knowing the cock-pit little more and feeling it. I already use peddals and a joystick. I think flight training in actual school mostly teaches you the rules and also some of the physics involved its self

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Most regular private pilots would die trying the fly an F4U, a sim hero would quite literally never get it off the runway.  If by some miracle he did, he would have made the biggest mistake of his life, what very little there is left of it.

The F4U is probably one of the most difficult single engine aircraft in the world to fly, especially to land.  Even most jet pilots couldn't handle an F4U.

A good friend of mine who flew Gulfstream jets was given a chance to take a P51 for a ride.  He told me he almost crashed on takeoff, he managed to get around the pattern, scared out of his wits, and never tried something that foolish again.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"