Author Topic: My very honest plane wish...  (Read 1094 times)

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
My very honest plane wish...
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:45:38 AM »
Already posted once on it, and decided to throw in somemore pics, and give the link up for somemore thought...

Dornier Do 217

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,239807.0.html

EDIT: As you can see with this picture, the tailwheel turns to allow better turning on the ground, could be helpful for landing/takeoff/avoiding vulching tards (although.... I don't see why you'd up this at a capped field...  :huh) fun stuff like that.

Enjoy guys  :aok
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:54:21 AM by trigger2 »
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
Re: My very honest plane wish...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:40:59 AM »
Sorry man, doesn't look so good to me... Kinda like a B25, easy target!!!!
But I really dig the guided missiles, could hit CV's from outside the puffy ack....

RC
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 08:10:19 AM »
Much, much faster than the B-25.

For my part I'd prefer the Ju188A-1.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 08:35:22 AM »
As long as we're thinking in terms of completing the planeset, and not in terms of an "arms race", looks good to me.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:45:07 AM »
Even without looking up the stats, I'd be willing to bet that the Do217 and our very own Ju88 would be close enough in performance that it would offer very little in "something new". 

Me? I prefer to look at the gaps we presently have in the game and Germany lacks a medium bomber.  Enter the He111 (albeit a "hvy" medium).

I dont blame you in asking for the Do217 as it was a very important bomber for Germany, but imo that are other aircraft that should be higher on the list.

:salute

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 09:00:54 AM »
Even without looking up the stats, I'd be willing to bet that the Do217 and our very own Ju88 would be close enough in performance that it would offer very little in "something new". 
You need to look it up then.  The performance is very much better than the Ju88A-4.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »
You need to look it up then.  The performance is very much better than the Ju88A-4.

Alrighty then... the Do217 carried 2.2k more ord (6600lbs to 8810lbs), is able to fly about 50mph faster at 19k alt.

*shrugs*

I also glanced over at the He111 while I had a few sources open and I'm re-thinking my position on that plane.  It would essentially be as exposed as a Boston, relatively slow for a med bomber, and I'm debating wether or not it would even be used.  It does have a 6600lb ord loadout (which is more than what I remember), but it looks a if it would be dependant if the plane was an early war or late war variant with regards to ord loadout.  Early war = 4400lbs internal, and late war they added 2k to the external points.  If HTC added it in as the early war variant with 4400lbs, then sure.  If they add it in as the late war variant w/ 6600lbs of ord... I'm not sure how that varies enough from the Ju88 to warrant all the work.  IMO, of course.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 09:40:22 AM »
 He-111 would be great in FSO.. not only that, it fills a major part of the German bomber gap. Do-217 can come in third, after the Heinkel, Ju-88G-2, and then the Dornier.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 09:47:34 AM »
Much, much faster than the B-25.

For my part I'd prefer the Ju188A-1.
Agreed. I'd rather have the 188. But, from a variety standpoint, we could use the Dornier, but not the 217. If we're going to get the Dornier, it will most likely be the Do-17z for EW arena. And that won't happen until we get the He-111, so we probably won't see the Do-17 or the Do-217 for a loooong time.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 09:48:15 AM »
Certainly! :aok
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 02:22:46 PM »
Alrighty then... the Do217 carried 2.2k more ord (6600lbs to 8810lbs), is able to fly about 50mph faster at 19k alt.

*shrugs*

Don't forget the MUCH better defensive armament

Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 03:29:26 PM »
But, from a variety standpoint, we could use the Dornier, but not the 217. If we're going to get the Dornier, it will most likely be the Do-17z for EW arena.

Actually the Do 217 could fill a huge gap in the planeset. The 17Z would only see use in EW (and even there not much, being massively outperformed by all other buffs) and occasional special events.

The Do 217 could be easily used in EW, MW and LW, as well as special events (Dieppe, Normandy, MTO (sinking of the Roma).
Don't forget that there are no really competitive axis buffs in LW, if you have a German Iron squad you have to stick to a very slow and almost defensless bomber.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 04:05:12 PM »
Actually the Do 217 could fill a huge gap in the planeset. The 17Z would only see use in EW (and even there not much, being massively outperformed by all other buffs) and occasional special events.

The Do 217 could be easily used in EW, MW and LW, as well as special events (Dieppe, Normandy, MTO (sinking of the Roma).
Don't forget that there are no really competitive axis buffs in LW, if you have a German Iron squad you have to stick to a very slow and almost defensless bomber.
Like many others, I just feel that if a Luftwaffe medium bomber is going to be added, it really should be the He-111. I don't disagree that a LW German bomber isn't long overdue, but why not a heavy? Why not the He-177? It's fast, it's got a healthy payload, it's both weird and cool. And AH doesn't model any reliability issues, so they won't be catching fire for no apparent reason. And heavy buffs seem to see much more use in-game than the mediums do.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 04:07:01 PM »
I'd like a 111 and a 177, please :)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 04:27:37 PM »
 :aok
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.