Author Topic: B-17 Ammo  (Read 1462 times)

Offline 1BULL

• Zinc Member
Re: B-17 Ammo
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 08:21:09 PM »
Maybe HTC could make it like the backshift key on the gv in order to change ammo type.  Well fellas I hope this will get seen by the staff.  Thanks for your support.
BULL

Offline 1BULL

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 12:58:33 AM »
Dear HTC,

Formal request to be able to relocate ammo, example moving chin ammo to the rear gun.  Maybe you could be able to hit the backspace key to which ever gun you are controlling.  Maybe by hitting the backspace key you would be able to move 100 rounds at a time.  Just something to give all the B-17s a chance while they are on the long haul.  Thank you for the greatest game on the face of the planet, created in the greatest state on the planet.  <S>
BULL

Offline Devonai

• Copper Member
      • Reckless Faith
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 07:15:09 AM »
This is a good idea; however, I think that the ammo transfer should take some time, like when using the rearm pad.  Maybe 15 seconds per transfer.
Guns!  Aliens!  Talking cats!  My new Science Fiction adventure, now on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/David-Kantrowitz/e/B002BMHJPE/

Offline 832725

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 07:43:43 AM »
 :rofl
Major

XO of the 334th FS

Hit'em Good!

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 08:34:56 AM »
Hmm.  I think it would be safe to say that the overwhelming majority of bombers in WWII did not have ammor bearers to shuffle ammo from chin-ball-waist-rear-top turrets when one or the other ran out.  There are some good examples that have been given to support the cause, but in general I think it would amount to almost unlimited ammo for the rear gunner and that would spell even more deaths for attacks planes.

Currently, most rear gunners keep an eye on their ammo for they know it will only last so long.  This helps prevent the spray-n-pray we all frown upon.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 05:59:01 PM »
well,loon,when you got a gunner with no ammo,i think he would be willing to go somewhere else in the plane and grab some,unless he's a lazy fart

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 06:07:46 PM »
No, then you'd have 20,000 rounds in the tail gun...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Hoffman

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 07:09:36 PM »
No, then you'd have 20,000 rounds in the tail gun...

And what good are the other 19,400 rounds of ammunition when the only people who don't attack from the dead 6 position are the guys in the 262's, 152's, and 190-A8's smashing your bomber group apart from the front where you only get 1/4 of a second firing time?  The only guys who don't attack from the 6 O'clock are the guys who usually attack from such angles as to make defensive fire useless.

IMHO, the tail gun should be reloadable, but at a price.  One belt of 100 rounds at a time, requiring 30 seconds to reload after you fire out your ammunition.  Think about it.  The tail gunner has to get out of his position, while wearing a breathing apparatus, flack jacket, heavy clothing, gloves, etc. etc. etc.  Walk/crawl/waddle up to the top/nose/waist gunners.  Open their box, grab the ammunition, walk/crawl/waddle back to his position, open his box, throw the ammunition in, toss it on the gun and chamber a round.   I'd be surprised if that's do-able on the ground in 30 seconds; let alone at 20,000 feet, in the cold, with someone shooting at you, with turbulence, flack bursts raining all over the sky, and so forth.

100 rounds might not be much, but there've been times where even 5 bullets would've saved my bomber, and there are other things you can do while waiting to reload.  Pitch her up into auto-climb so the top gun can get a shot.  Initiate a violent left/right turn while in the waist gunner position with the rudder pedals so they can get a shot.  Not sure if the 17 can, but I know the 24 can perform an Immelman, scare the hell out of pursuing fighters be ho-ing them. (Not sure if I have film of it, I was in a Wirble watching an enemy 24 on the deck playing around, I'll need to look.)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 07:55:57 PM »
     Or we could just fly through some powerups otw to the next level  :rock

:rock
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 07:57:08 PM »
unless he's a lazy fart
Or unless his legs have been filled with shrapnel by attacking enemy fighters... :uhoh

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 09:46:24 AM »
When you limit bombers to historic speeds, then let's talk about the need to reload that tail gun position....

:noid

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 09:54:53 AM »
Dead gunners don't run ammo.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 10:00:56 AM »
Drones without dead gunners do.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 10:15:19 AM »
Get rid of drones and I can see this function as being realistic.

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2008, 08:15:26 PM »
Dead gunners don't run ammo.

Rarely would there be a dead gunner, meaning, the turret that was most needed, would be taken, there were many circumstances where the left/right ventral gunner was sent to operate the tail gun...
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*