Author Topic: Are there any RL pilots that play... And  (Read 2439 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Are there any RL pilots that play... And
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 03:00:39 PM »
I was just curious how realistic is this game.  I mean I've never flown a plane but I sure feel like I could now.

Thanks

SWneocon

208 hours, mostly in cessna 172N. got a little time in 172A, B, P, and SP. super decathalon(from the back seat), and a little in a shcweizer cb300. cherokee six, archer, and warrior, but very very small amounts of time in them. 2 hours in diamond DA20.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 03:01:26 PM »
Like you can crank your neck looking back while pulling 6-9G !

dude, 2 to 3G's is enough to make your mind go fuzzy if you've never done it before.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 03:02:27 PM »
So I shouldn't put AH down on my resume when I apply to fly airliners? 
:rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 03:07:05 PM »

dude, 2 to 3G's is enough to make your mind go fuzzy if you've never done it before.

That's what I mean, how you can crank 6-9G in game and look behind ya =p which is really tuff to do in RL.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 03:09:06 PM »

208 hours, mostly in cessna 172N. got a little time in 172A, B, P, and SP. super decathalon(from the back seat), and a little in a shcweizer cb300. cherokee six, archer, and warrior, but very very small amounts of time in them. 2 hours in diamond DA20.

172N mostly, and as you said, 2-3g's is enough to make your mind go a bit fuzzy...

I've pulled 6 as my max... and although there's this game, the big mad military pilots, and the stunt pilots able to pull 9-12, I was working during 6...

Aces High, although you might be able to recognize some basic signs during an emergency (then again, if you can't, you're either, blind, deaf, asleep, unconcious, or all of the above  :aok) you'd be surprised at how much different RL flying is...

I would love one day to hear over vox "Triggy2 you were not authorized to take off..."  :D
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 03:13:26 PM »
I've done 7G's in a T-38 while I was in ROTC during college.. I've never felt such intensity on my entire body.. Aces High simply can't replicate real life manuvering whatsoever, but its still fun..  :aok

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 04:21:37 PM »
Eurocub and Mainair since -92

Done max 4G's in a sailplane.
IF you have rudder pedals you can do some training in on a PC sim
You react as you should after when u have to do things fast . I miss the thermals and wind at lower altitude that makes landings a challenge, specially with taildraggers in x-wind.

Warbirds callsign =save=
AH         callsign gr8sh0t
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 04:29:31 PM »
172N mostly, and as you said, 2-3g's is enough to make your mind go a bit fuzzy...

I've pulled 6 as my max... and although there's this game, the big mad military pilots, and the stunt pilots able to pull 9-12, I was working during 6...

Aces High, although you might be able to recognize some basic signs during an emergency (then again, if you can't, you're either, blind, deaf, asleep, unconcious, or all of the above  :aok) you'd be surprised at how much different RL flying is...

I would love one day to hear over vox "Triggy2 you were not authorized to take off..."  :D

ya..that's one of the things about the red bull air races......some of those gus pull over 9G's.....only for a second, but still, it's a LOT for non-military guys.....
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 04:46:03 PM »
I always hope for the day the USAF need volunteers to fight off aliens with our fighter planes...  I just knew I'd be able to confidently take on that challenge.  I guess not. :cry

You know that ride at fairs or carnivals that is a space ship and spins.  How many g's is that.  Because I could handle that all day and look around.  he he

SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Dinan

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 05:24:52 PM »
Adonai is a Marine Pilot. IIRC, I think he flew F18s or something.... 

You gotta be kidding...  right?

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 05:28:41 PM »
kinda hard to believe O.o
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline JAGED

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 05:29:23 PM »
So, how did this guy pull it off?  :D

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/061399/sta_061399031.shtml

"Moore believes the simulator training may have saved the boys' lives."

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 06:18:05 PM by JAGED »
"I post facts.   If I post anything thats not a fact, I ask if people know whether it is fact or drivel first..."    SkyRock (ROFL LMFAO)

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 05:39:14 PM »
Oh my gosh that is great.  I'm so proud of that kid..   :rock
So, how did this guy pull it off?  :D

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/061399/sta_061399031.shtml
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 06:00:26 PM »
I was just curious how realistic is this game.  I mean I've never flown a plane but I sure feel like I could now.

Probably you'd find that you couldn't.  But you'd still be ahead of someone who hadn't even had the computer experience.

As others have said, the computer can't give us a lot of the real-world major factors.  Chief among these, so far as I'm concerned, are the G forces you get in any kind of aerobatic maneuvering.  Flying AH is much more pleasant (I often think of an account of a P-51 pilot who was in an extended engagment with a 109.  His oxygen mask was slipping down off his face, his right arm was getting tired, his left leg was getting tired, and he was about ready to throw up because of the nausea caused by the continued G forces).  Also, the variation in things like air currents, engine rpms and wind isn't usually present in AH, and they cause a lot more distraction than I ever thought they would.

OTOH, AH does a pretty good job of modeling the main parts of flying.  I know it helped me a lot when I was learning how to land - just the notion of pulling back the power, adjusting your angle of attack to achieve the proper speed, and estimating where you're going to touch down were a big help when I started doing it for real.

I've also noticed that my sons, now age 19, and my daughter, 22, all of whom grew up playing various video games, pick up on these things in real airplanes A LOT quicker than I did.  Computers gaming really seems to instill a sense of timing and motion that we older folks just don't have.

- oldman

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 08:38:30 AM »
Frenchy  needs to be included in the list of R/L pilots.Had a chance to meet him.A real gentlemen.
ID