Author Topic: CV Damage.  (Read 757 times)

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
Re: CV Damage.
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 01:34:23 PM »
Just did that, and it sank as you said.

I spent the last 45 minutes looking for the bomb explosive power table (not sure what you call it) that I remember from a while back with no luck. Looked on the trainers site and the help site to no avail. If I remember correctly it was a barred link on some page just couldn't find it. By the way it's not the table in the strategy guide under the strategic targets section, it's the table that listed the 1.719k value that Murder referred to.

Thanks,
Baumer
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 01:52:24 PM »
Gun & rocket values are there.  Have not gotten to posting full bomb values in a table yet.

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 01:57:43 PM »
Remember that a bomb missing the CV does not explode. You must hit the CV and being close doesn't count.

I think that this should be fixed.  I'd have to check the exact facts but, I seem to remember an Air Corps General demonstrating, to the dismay of some admirals, that dropping bombs in close proximity would destroy a ship by creating a void under the keel and breaking it. I believe that the story was told in Flyboys.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 02:25:20 PM »
I guess it's time to test some more.  :D

Many values and game functions are derived by Trainer testing and not from HTC information. For example, the actual explosive power of a 2,000 lb. bomb was derived by Murdr and I testing it by adjusting the strength of a hanger until we found a value just under the amount required to destroy it, then adding known values of other ordnance to finish it.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 09:20:08 PM »
8,000 lb sounds about right to me. Back when I was clobbering them with 26s my standard drop was 8x3= 24 500lb bombs from 10,000' with a delay of 0.25. With that delay I used to cover the CV from rear to front with bombs. If the CV was going straight it was dead. If the CV was being driven then odds were the driver was a right hander and its easier to turn a stick left so 75% of the time the CV would circle left.

I dont take heavies after them anymore. Personaly I'd like to see AH toughen them even more. Say, another 2k. As it is now 3 or 4 good heavy Jabo sticks can sink any CV. Shore guns can sink them. And we have CVs all over these large maps so maybe AH has it right as it is now.

Correct me if Im wrong but werent the dam buster bombs designed to explode off of the Dams and allow the shock to burst the re-enforced concrete of the dam? Same thing in water right?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"