Author Topic: No way in hell on field capture in the CA... instead  (Read 309 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
No way in hell on field capture in the CA... instead
« on: August 12, 2001, 08:58:00 PM »
Give a strat point system... or some kind of progress indicator.

Basically, there should be factories, buildings and so forth that should be established based on time period and terrain.

If its later in the European theatre, factories are set up throughout Europe.  The allied forces must destroy these factories to force a reset of the arena.  These factories never rebuild.  If the allies don't successfully destroy all of them within 7 days, the axis wins the battle and the arena is reset.  There should be enough structures that this is a challenging task... and enough ack to ensure that single bombers flying in the wee hours of the morning won't do it unobstructed.

Part of this would mean that there would actually be a 12 hour limit on country changing.  Right now, that is just too prevelant and leads to much of the skewing I see in the arena.

Give each side specific goals... let them figure out how to go about them.  Make those goals somewhat corresponding to the time period and location from WW2.

That way, we don't have to turn this into a game that has flight simulation in it.  It can be a combat sim.

AKDejaVu

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2001, 09:18:00 PM »
The only way I want to see field captures is with massed armor and large numbers of troops required, 100 troops sounds about right to me.

This would simulate combat operations better than allowing 1 C-47 to drop on a deacked and vulched field, only M-3s and LVTs allowed for capture.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2001, 09:20:00 PM »
Another idea would be to do away with rebuild times all together.  Rebuilds should only occur when one side brings things to repair the field.

A goon with troops to rebuild ack (after 30 minimum minutes).  X amount of cargo to fix an FH or BH or VH.  Something so that fields aren't automatically back up in 30 minutes.  The railways/roads can also be used to accomodate this.

There needs to be some way of hurting the enemy with field strikes that was comparable to what bombing a field would accomplish in WW2.  The cost should be high, though not unrecoverable.

AKDejaVu

Offline ET

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2001, 10:02:00 PM »
Good ideas Jihad and AKDejaVu but maybe only 30-50 troops to capture base.I'd like to see that in MA too.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2001, 10:13:00 PM »
I'd rather not see any base capture possible.

AKDejaVu

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2001, 04:59:00 AM »
Well Dejavu, good idea, and it would be fun and hopefuly it would give us alot of Historical sence if there were enough players  in the arena, wich I hope it would be.
I think however, that this might require a completly new build up of the game, not sure if HTC wanna spend time on it for one arena  :(

Hopefully, they can though, and with 1.08's new Strat system with trains and roads etc, we might get some better strat in there.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2001, 07:53:00 AM »
After reading the leading post I was gonna say exactly what Wilbus just said.

You got some good idea's there DJV (except I still agree with the idea to allow base capture with multiple C47s / M3s / LVTs) but you aint gonna get any of em any time soon.  HTC is busy knocking out 1.08 which is gonna include gameplay changes anyway.  May as well wait and see what it entails and enable field capture in the CA in the meantime.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2001, 08:44:00 AM »
I'd rather see new ideas implimented, than to see the MA imported.  Time for a little patience and a lotta thought.

AKDejaVu

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2001, 05:22:00 PM »
I'm not sure if this future is "on" but doesn't perk points reset after tour is over. If so HTC need to disable perks...or carry them over to next tour.

Or  :) create different maps from 1940-45. After you win/loss in that map you move on into new time/map with your new rank. With that rank people can see your skill and you have better access to plane set. So your name tag would read, 2nd LT, 1st LT, Cap, Maj., Lt. Col, Col, Bri. Gen, Lt. Gen, Gen <*your name*>
Higher rank more planes you can drive. If some one shoots that person down they get higher rank and that person, lets say for game purpose person would loose rank.
My idea need little reworking thou

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2001, 05:36:00 PM »
Naaa LOSE all perk points at map change/ reset.

Base capture in the CT please.  Historically it was done, fighter squadrons often would move forward (or backwards) as the front moved several times a year.
30 troops small base
40 troops med base
50 troops large base
All troops must be in the map room within 15 minutes of the first troop.

I think auto rebuild is fine though set to 3 hours or more.  Players can hurry the process by carrying construction supplies, ammo, fuel, AA defences, troops.

I gonna post more thots in a separate thread

SKurj

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2001, 05:38:00 PM »

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2001, 06:14:00 AM »
Shouldn't this post be in the Combat Arena forum?    :D

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2001, 02:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mark Luper:
Shouldn't this post be in the Combat Arena forum?     :D

Sorry Mark, the BBS police are above the "law"!   ;)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2001, 02:43:00 PM »
or maybe this was posted before the combat arena forum was created?

Ah.. even mr luper can feel justified at being a dipshit when it suits him.

AKDejaVu

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2001, 04:12:00 PM »
Geeeezzus Deja. You callin' Mark a dipshit? What's the matter with you? I have known the guy for a while now, and recal enjoying one particular day flying around with him and <ahem, Deja> his grandson. Correct or incorrect (who cares?) he made a little jab... a joke... HARDLY worth callin' someone a dipshit over. Mark is one of the nicest guys flyin' AH. There's something not right with you dude.