Author Topic: Reno Air Races 2008  (Read 894 times)

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
Reno Air Races 2008
« on: August 24, 2008, 03:35:15 PM »

Anyone going? I'll be there again this year..

:aok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re-fpLPdbWc&feature=related
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 03:40:24 PM by xNOVAx »

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Reno Air Races 2008
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »
That's sexy.. Too bad they don't have a Dora competing.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 11:10:53 AM »
I don't think they had any german aircraft there last year that I remember.. A few Russian (yaks), but the majority were either American or British..

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 11:12:10 AM »
Yep... Too bad none of those multimillionaires want to spend their allowance on a Luftwaffe intruder...
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 11:14:32 AM »
There's probably just too few of them to be used for racing or modified in any way like the majority of the racers at Reno..

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 11:16:53 AM »
Haha.. I doubt there's such a thing as "too few" to empassioned millionaire gearheads.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 11:22:12 AM »
Well I meant maybe there's too few German aircraft to be used for racing like this? I'm not sure really, but these planes are pushing 500mph+.. I don't see too many 109's or 190's doing that without some serious modifications..

There are other classes where the planes aren't modified though, but racing is quite dangerous.. 3 people were killed last year due to crashes, so maybe people with the German planes don't want to risk it.. Who knows..
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:25:03 AM by xNOVAx »

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 04:46:26 PM »
You know there's no rule that says you have to use an old warbird in the Unlimiteds. Frankly I get tired of the constant attrition. I liked the idea of Rutan's Pond Racer, though it couldn't resist overheating at every opportunity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66q4awWPArM
(it is left to the viewer to figure out wtf this guy is saying.)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 04:56:15 PM by Cthulhu »
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 05:14:36 PM »
It's a shame she crashed.. :(

That was one beautiful aircraft..

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »
Well I meant maybe there's too few German aircraft to be used for racing like this? I'm not sure really, but these planes are pushing 500mph+.. I don't see too many 109's or 190's doing that without some serious modifications..

There are other classes where the planes aren't modified though, but racing is quite dangerous.. 3 people were killed last year due to crashes, so maybe people with the German planes don't want to risk it.. Who knows..
Yep I understand and agree.. somewhat.  I just think it has to be tempting.  I think the 190D ought to make for a good racer base.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 03:37:29 PM »
I'd love to see a Dora too, but I don't think it'll ever happen. Do you know if anyone's racing an LA-7 ?
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 11:31:51 AM »
There are a few Yaks that race, but I dont think there's any LA's.. Here are some pics..

Czech Mate - A modified Yak-11 (The sickest sounding plane at the races hands down.. The plane is small in comparison to the rest but it sounds like a monster)

Shiskka Suka - Stock Yak-3

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 11:38:09 AM »

i think dago red has the record right now, with a single lap speed of 512mph, and an average qualifying speed of 507. not sure, but i think that she's the only pisotn engined unlimited racer in the 500 range right now?

as for german aircraft, there aren't any FW's flying right now, are there? and i think less than a dozen 109's?

i had read somewhere, about the modfications to the dago red. they were very very extensive, and millions of dollars.
 i'm kind of doubtful that someone would take a one of a kind aircraft, and modify it like they'd need to for it to compete.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 11:42:46 AM »
I think Rare Bear and September Fury have been 500+ or very very close..

I was disappointed that Dago Red wasnt at the races last year, but it will this year..  :aok

Here's the list of 2008 entries..

http://www.airrace.org/2008%20Registered%20Pilots-Website%20Copy%208-7-08.pdf
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:47:09 AM by xNOVAx »

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 12:48:55 PM »
A lot of my squaddies are planning on attending.  <T.S.M.> ; The Screaming Meanies.  Mars, LuckTSM, verbal, and others are all great guys and I'm sure you could meet them for a beer or something.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace