Author Topic: UDP-TCP  (Read 1809 times)

Offline UberVulcher

• Zinc Member
UDP-TCP
« on: August 25, 2008, 08:23:22 AM »
Keep losing host connection, message says lost UDP switch to TCP how do I fix this, been playing along time and this just started please help thank you
Happy bellybutton Avatar

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: UDP-TCP
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 08:47:36 AM »
Have you changed anything in your system lately?  Windows updates? SP3? New firewall? Antivirus? NIC drivers?

As you can tell, any numbers of things could have changed.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 12:53:49 PM »
Quote from Skuzzy in the Hints and Tips thread of this forum:

FIREWALLS and PERSONAL ROUTERS

This is a can of worms. Aces High depends on ports 2000-6000. They all need to be opened through your firewall. Aces High will not use all these ports simultaneously, but some subset of the above port range will be used.

Also note, when we release an update to the game, you will have to re-allow the aceshigh.exe program back through your personal firewall. Nothing we can do about this as it is a function of the firewall software you are using.

Personal routers: These types of routers (LinkSys, NetGear...) are very slow devices which really cannot handle a lot of traffic from several systems at the same time. Typically, you should restrict your local LAN to 5 systems or less.
Here are some tips:

1) Make sure you have MAC broadcasting enabled in your router. This keeps your ISP from having to rediscover your Ethernet MAC address. If you do not have this enabled, and your ISP's router has to go through discovery you will get switched from UDP to TCP/IP by Aces High due to lost packets.

2) If you are on a network with a dynamic IP and the ISP expires the lease forcing your router to get a new IP address, you will again be switched to TCP/IP from UDP by Aces High due to lost packets and you will probably lose your connection to the servers.

3) If your router or cable/dsl modem is connected to your computer through a USB port, you can expect to lose UDP a lot, as well as unreliable connections to the servers overall. You should have this device connected to an Ethernet port or unreliability will result.

If you have NAT enabled on your router, UDP may not work at all, as there are problems with some versions of firmware in routers that keep them from handling UDP in the translation tables, and this becomes worse with more computers on your LAN.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline NEARY

• Nickel Member
      • The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 05:11:15 PM »
i get the same thing but i haven't updated my computer for 2 months should I?
 :confused:
The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas.since tour 97.        CO: KCTHUNDR(me)
 ( NEARY tours 96- 107) 2nd in command: Penguin. www.freewebs.com/18thfg   in game i.d.: KCTHUNDR

OBey Teh ChIHuaHUa!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!11!!!1

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:16:03 PM »
Same problem here.  I haven't changed any settings on my system, or added/removed any programs.  I have followed Skuzzy's guide for Vista operators.  Did that back in April.  Everything's been pretty smooth until today.  Now the longest I have been able to stay on AHHII is 20 min.  Then 'Host Lost UDP' comes up. :frown:

100Coogn
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline NEARY

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 06:23:05 PM »
if i go into  crowded arena like orange i get discoed within five minutes,if i go to green or purple i never,ever get discoed.
 ( NEARY tours 96- 107) 2nd in command: Penguin. www.freewebs.com/18thfg   in game i.d.: KCTHUNDR

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 06:57:35 PM »
All it takes is one crappy pipe line on the internet and you'll start getting disco. Sunspots can cause trouble. If your ISP is over loading it will do it. There are a million things that can cause you to loose your connection, and Skuzzy can only work on a couple on the HTC servers, the rest is internet related and well out of Skuzzys control.

Best way to check is to get Ping Plotter, install it, and ping the addresses for the servers at HTC (addresses are in the sticky at the top of the tech page). If it showes a lot of package drops you'll know its most likely the internet. Drops at the start of the hops "could" be your computer has trouble, at the end "could" bereturn trip troubles. Post a screenie and maybe Skuzzy can recommend something.   

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 05:20:57 AM »
Sunspots can cause trouble.
You're the BOFH aren't you?
:lol
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 05:39:36 AM »
All is good once again.  Must have been my ISP or something.  Flew in the TA for a couple hours, then MA for about 3 hours.   :aok

100Coogn
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 09:29:16 AM »
Out of curiosity, have any of you opened ports 2000-6000 on your routers or Internet Modems?
FlameThink.com

Offline Amsoil21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 12:07:22 PM »
im getting same problem and im from uk there must be a problem to do with aces high somehow..

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 12:52:22 PM »
Again, have you opened ports 2000-6000 including UDP & TCP on your router and/or Internet Modem? If you don't know what I'm asking the answer most likely is, "no."
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 12:55:01 PM by Denholm »
FlameThink.com

Offline NEARY

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 06:30:46 PM »
how do i do that? :confused:

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 02:04:35 PM »
First we need to find the IP Address of your router or Internet Modem.

To do this we go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt (MS-DOS)
Or the shorter method. Start>Run  type in: CMD   Press OK.
Once inside Command Prompt type in: ipconfig
Press enter to execute the command. We're looking for the IP address next to, "Default Gateway." It will look similar to this: 192.168.1.1

Now go to your Internet Browser (IE or Firefox) and type the same IP address into the website address bar at the top. Just don't add www.  or  .com. Afterward simply press enter or hit the GO button to visit the site. This will take you to your router's or Internet Modem's configuration panel. Usually all routers or Internet modems will require you to use a user name and password to access the configuration panel, if you don't know them you will have to guess or call your router's creator or Internet company if its an Internet modem to get assistance resetting the access user name and password.

Once you gain access to the configuration panel look around for options that read, "NAT, Firewall, Services, Applications, Games, Virtual Servers," or anything relative to, "Port Forwarding." NAT or Services are more likely to be the options you're looking for. Once you find them you want to Forward ports 2000-6000 on UDP & TCP to your computer. If it asks for your computer's IP address look back at Command Prompt. Next to, "IP Address," (Similar to: 192.168.1.2) would be the address you want to use to forward the ports to your computer. If it requires additional information before forwarding the ports here are some helpful tips:

Application Name: Aces High
Trigger Port: 2000
Map to host Port: 2000
Protocol Timeout (seconds): For UDP its 600. For TCP its 86400

Remember, you need to open them on UDP and TCP. :aok
FlameThink.com

Offline Marshal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 06:09:09 AM »
                                   Port Range 
Application          Start             End                   Protocol                IP Address                   Enabled
    ?                      2000     to    6000                 BothTCPUDP             192.168.1.?                     X

Could you help me out with the question marks ?
The application box only allows 7 letters