Author Topic: Squeakers  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: Squeakers
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 08:29:39 AM »
awrighty, i'll play...  by "effective"  we can agree that it means - getting your point across?

both you and kweassa are mighty fine constructors, but the WOT's might make many not even bother reading...

why use 27 words when 6 will do?

Seriously, zazen's post was written like an engineering project.  Every sentence had a job to do, and the paragraph as a whole was parsimonious.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2008, 08:34:56 AM »
If you hypocrites lived up to your own standard, you guys would be pouncing on Stang for his own obvious mistakes, but alas, you can’t see clearly for the beam in your own eye. 

Congrats on the vet-pass Stang; it facilitates the double standard marvelously. 
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2008, 08:36:31 AM »
If you hypocrites lived up to your own standard, you guys would be pouncing on Stang for his own obvious mistakes, but alas, you can’t see clearly for the beam in your own eye. 

It has been pointed out, but not corrected.  It is a waste of time, IMO.
Amazing you could actually recruit that much suck into one squad.
Your Proctologist called, they found your head.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2008, 08:40:02 AM »

It was pointed out.  I don't jump all over people for a few spelling mistakes when I can see they're doing their best.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2008, 08:42:47 AM »
That's nice.  But forgive employers for not hiring the speakers of this changing dynamic language, ok?

in abt 5-10 years they're not gonna have much choice...  txt msgs are just as guilty of snipping at the language we grew up with as l33tsqu34k.

just bear in mind there are two styles, formal and informal, held to slightly different standards... it's important to fit the style with the context.

<psst.. almost never start a sentence with a conjunction.>   :aok
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:44:51 AM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2008, 08:46:53 AM »

In some kinds of academic writing that is done routinely (and I don't mean English or Poetry class). ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2008, 08:53:51 AM »
in abt 5-10 years they're not gonna have much choice...  txt msgs are just as guilty of snipping at the language we grew up with as l33tsqu34k.

just bear in mind there are two styles, formal and informal, held to slightly different standards... it's important to fit the style with the context.

Of course they will. They'll continue to outsource jobs to India, where English is spoken far more eloquently. However, I wouldn't worry too much about it. They'll never be a threat to the skilled communicators working the late night drive-thru at Burger King.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2008, 08:54:41 AM »
In some kinds of academic writing that is done routinely (and I don't mean English or Poetry class). ;)

further reinforcing my point of fitting style to context.

:aok
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2008, 08:56:41 AM »
...when I can see they're doing their best.

LOL.
AoM
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2008, 09:16:01 AM »
LOL.

Tomcatter, you're leaving out the most important part: "a few spelling mistakes."  Those who write words with numbers and leave out punctuation are not doing their best.

Don't split my sentences in half if you're going to quote me.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2008, 10:07:24 AM »

Ehem.....

Stang, you should practice what you preach! :D
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2008, 10:20:59 AM »
Tomcatter, you're leaving out the most important part: "a few spelling mistakes."  Those who write words with numbers and leave out punctuation are not doing their best.

Don't split my sentences in half if you're going to quote me.

Or people who don't know who a persons name is.
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2008, 10:25:39 AM »
...lf if you're going to quote me.

Seems I can't help myself. 

Besides, simmer down, nothing you (or anyone else on here - myself included) have to say is so profound that it can't be split. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 10:56:42 AM by SunBat »
AoM

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2008, 10:42:47 AM »
Seriously, zazen's post was written like an engineering project.  Every sentence had a job to do, and the paragraph as a whole was parsimonious.

I put some parsimonious cheese on my pasta the other night.

Gave me gas.

Boner
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2008, 11:22:29 AM »
this isn't world of warcraft or everquest

Yes, but it's an online community that has a lot of people with variety of ages. I know a lot of us have different background with gaming. Some use different slangs from different games.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'