Author Topic: First Night Likes/Dislikes  (Read 1145 times)

Offline wojo71

• Copper Member
Re: First Night Likes/Dislikes
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 01:44:42 PM »
Thought about a base capture last night,but everybody was having so much fun furballing  I just thought we'd get a feel for the map :salute .d id try a bomber mission it was fun.     :rock

Wojo
LTARwojo        
Proud father of a U.S. Marine....Proud grandson of Lt Col Hamel Goodin (ret)   B-17 pilot. 305th BG /364th SQD

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 01:49:07 PM »
Huh??  I don't follow you, sorry.

I'd rather not elaborate or dwell on the subject. I will breifly though just to give you a chance to understand what I mean.

Let's just say that having people switching in an effort to balance sides messes with tactical decision making. I may make a quick plan of attack based on certain numbers. Then have 5 players switch sides trying to make it a fair fight. There's no such thing as a fair fight. Were it up to me I'd push side switching timers out to like 24 hours or more.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 01:51:03 PM by Damionte »
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 02:24:17 PM »
I understand the concern, but I believe without side switching allowed many nights the AvA will just be dead.

Also Damionte, please feel free to elaborate on any subject.  I want people to speak up and make their point.  I may not always agree with you, but as I said in the beginning this is a community development.  It's not Bug's War, it's Our War. <S>
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 02:28:30 PM by TheBug »
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 02:25:15 PM »
MA Bomb site has been enabled and radar range reduced to 10 miles.

Keep the input coming guys! <S>
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 03:44:50 PM »
Just had a peek in the AvA, the map looks fantastic.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 03:52:46 PM »
I think MA hardness works well.  I think the MOTD has hangers at 2.0?

Great job setting this up Bug.  S!
JG11

Vater

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 04:10:50 PM »
I tried some high altitude bombing and the wind makes it tough.  No wonder I was flailing around with the ava bombsite, it's already hard enough as it is with the ma bombsite.

Hangar toughness is out of this world.  I don't forsee closing any airfields or pulling off any field captures unless there is zero opposition or overwhelming force, e.g. 20 guys attacking with <3 defenders.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 09:09:24 PM »
The MA bombsight does NOT allow for wind. The manual (AvA) bombsight does, but you must learn to setup the IP and heading properly. With the MA sight, you must use Kentucky windage, good luck with that.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline eagleheartone

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 05:48:36 PM »
One thing that seems to be the last to be brought up, and yes I will do it.  Ground attacks, or gv''s seem to always take the short end of the stick during all these battles.  Africa.... always thought the tanks were the main focus of the conflict there.  Well, we have m8's, a jeep, and an m3.  All to well able to be destroyed by a passing fighter.  I don't mind furballing, I do it occasionally, but put the tanks in the the mix.  This will make the CO's use some planning, and SA, and gain the challenge that most people are asking for.  Nothing like setting up a gv raid on a target, start up and here comes one or two fighters and wipe ya out in a few passe's, no it has not happened, but with the set up now....  Africa was a tank war was it not............. lets tank it out, grab some land, and if a pilot wants to grab a heavy fighter, OK he kills 1 or 2 at the most, flies home and re-arms for another round... but with m8's only... he could kill the whole lot of ya.... laughing as he flies away. 

Lets get it on a nice even level here, gv'ers will not attack a base in force with m8's... especially when any plane in here can kill it with little effort. 

Noe do not get me wrong................. ONE helofva.......JOB on the map................  like it ALLOTT!!!!!!!

<SALUTE>

Eagle
Eaglehrt

CO.  5th SFG "S.O.A.R."

Offline choppit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 05:52:55 PM »
One thing that seems to be the last to be brought up, and yes I will do it.  Ground attacks, or gv''s seem to always take the short end of the stick during all these battles.  Africa.... always thought the tanks were the main focus of the conflict there.  Well, we have m8's, a jeep, and an m3.  All to well able to be destroyed by a passing fighter.  I don't mind furballing, I do it occasionally, but put the tanks in the the mix.  This will make the CO's use some planning, and SA, and gain the challenge that most people are asking for.  Nothing like setting up a gv raid on a target, start up and here comes one or two fighters and wipe ya out in a few passe's, no it has not happened, but with the set up now....  Africa was a tank war was it not............. lets tank it out, grab some land, and if a pilot wants to grab a heavy fighter, OK he kills 1 or 2 at the most, flies home and re-arms for another round... but with m8's only... he could kill the whole lot of ya.... laughing as he flies away. 

Lets get it on a nice even level here, gv'ers will not attack a base in force with m8's... especially when any plane in here can kill it with little effort. 

Noe do not get me wrong................. ONE helofva.......JOB on the map................  like it ALLOTT!!!!!!!

<SALUTE>

Eagle
     That is a very valid argument but what gvs will be used without using a substitution? The firefly never served in this theater, the only possibility would be to enable panzers on both sides.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 06:22:47 PM »
That was my exact concern, I don't mind adding the firefly as a Sherman sub in the later weeks but initially I thought the M8s would be a good sub for the light tanks of the theater.  But I must confess I am far from a GV guy so I might be a little messed up when it comes to that part of the setup.  I am not opposed to enabling the Panzer for the Axis, but what should it be for the Allies??  T34 sub or just go with the Firefly??
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 11:05:43 PM »
As Eagle pointed out, I have purposefully not organized GV assaults for that very reason. We don't have anything that can stand up to fighter guns. Plus travel time.

It just takes too long to get the GV's to the targets. Then once there it doesn't take much to knock them out.

Something else we found out this evening. We don't need anythign but transports to take the vehicle bases. The capture is set to need just 1 troop.

Since there are only 2 defensive guns on the VB's two transports can over realm the auto guns and get one trooper in for the capture.

Also to calm down some of the Allies who were griping about this. i am well aware that we can milk run the VB's. I am purposefully trying to take air fields just to see if it can be done with the equipment we have.

It can, but not with just 4-5 people that we generally get to do an attack.
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 01:32:34 AM »
That was my exact concern, I don't mind adding the firefly as a Sherman sub in the later weeks but initially I thought the M8s would be a good sub for the light tanks of the theater.  But I must confess I am far from a GV guy so I might be a little messed up when it comes to that part of the setup.  I am not opposed to enabling the Panzer for the Axis, but what should it be for the Allies??  T34 sub or just go with the Firefly??
Sub T-34/76.  The short 75mm gun on the early Sherman was virtually identical in hitting power to the Russian 76mm gun.  The Germans had the advantage of longer range guns (especially the 88s) on the flat terrain.  The Firefly will be too much an advantage to the allied side vs. the historic feel you are going for.

The armor was also very similar -- the only unhistoric advantage the T-34 will bestow vs. the M4 is its speed.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."