Author Topic: HE and AP  (Read 707 times)

Offline smokey23

• Nickel Member
HE and AP
« on: August 27, 2008, 03:44:08 PM »
Certain planes like the B-25 and Hurri with cannons shootin 37mm and 75mm HE and one plane can kill my panzer or sherman with 2 shots maybe 3 however when im down to HE in my tank and confront another tank i can fire 20 rounds into a tank with very limited damage.Maybe take an engine out or take out a track. why is this.? im starting to think my tanks are just special.atleast the ammo is,  please dont use the LAG excuse. This isnt a whine its a question thats got me wandering.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: HE and AP
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:46:28 PM »
The hurri IID is not shooting 37MM HE - it's firing 40mm AP. Also its not killing tanks by hitting frontal or side armor, it's hitting the much weaker armored top or rear armor at usually much shorter ranges than in most tank fights.

A Panzer IVH has only 12 to 15mm armor on top and 20mm on the rear.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:49:37 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:00:02 PM »
Good Point!!!
Been wondering when an HE round from a tank will have a more realistic effect...
Especially since an HE round from 75mm Panzer Gun has more velocity the the howitzer on B25...
Even a Tiger, hit by enough HE will die, shouldn't take a full ammo bay of HE to do it either...

But then again, Tigers often seem to be 500lb bombproof, even the tracks...  :rofl

I realize that the HTC staff are busy ppl, but this does need correction...

RC
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline *PAPA*

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 04:17:51 PM »
Good Point!!!
Been wondering when an HE round from a tank will have a more realistic effect...
Especially since an HE round from 75mm Panzer Gun has more velocity the the howitzer on B25...
Even a Tiger, hit by enough HE will die, shouldn't take a full ammo bay of HE to do it either...

But then again, Tigers often seem to be 500lb bombproof, even the tracks...  :rofl

I realize that the HTC staff are busy ppl, but this does need correction...

RC

Tiger is too weak now!  In real life there are reports of them taking as many as 250 hits before being disabled.  Nowadays in AH Tigers are turreted or killed in one shot. It aint worth the perks most times.

As far as velocity...You have to add the speed of the plane to the rounds' velocity and it is short distance and the HE is usually hitting the ground under the tank's soft belly.
All Your Base Belong to us.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 05:11:28 PM »
Tiger is too weak now!  In real life there are reports of them taking as many as 250 hits before being disabled.  Nowadays in AH Tigers are turreted or killed in one shot. It aint worth the perks most times.
I assure you those 250 hits were not by 17lbers from a Sherman Firefly VC or 75mm L42s from a Panzer IV H.  The T-34/76 we have in AH could easily empty its ammo into a Tiger and get nothing for it.

Educate yourself before you post.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 05:18:55 PM »
The hurri IID is not shooting 37MM HE - it's firing 40mm AP. Also its not killing tanks by hitting frontal or side armor, it's hitting the much weaker armored top or rear armor at usually much shorter ranges than in most tank fights.

A Panzer IVH has only 12 to 15mm armor on top and 20mm on the rear.

hey lusche,

this is kinda related to another thread..the kinetic energy one......

do the rounds from the aircraft have a greater damaging effect than they would from another tank? figure the plane is going in the ballpark of 250 or so, whereas the tank is most likely stationary?

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 08:13:02 PM »
Yes, HE rounds even from the T-34 will outright kill tanks if the hit is in the side or rear from close range.  Key is close range.  Trying to stand off at 1000m shooting the pathetic 3" HE shells from the Firefly will prove to be much less effective.

CAP, doing rough math, a plane flying 250mph adds about 111m/s to the projectile's initial velocity.  It stands to reason that it would have an effect, yes?
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 08:17:51 PM »
It's not impossible to kill a Tiger with the current T34, just difficult. ;)
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 08:19:46 PM »
Yes, HE rounds even from the T-34 will outright kill tanks if the hit is in the side or rear from close range.  Key is close range.  Trying to stand off at 1000m shooting the pathetic 3" HE shells from the Firefly will prove to be much less effective.

CAP, doing rough math, a plane flying 250mph adds about 111m/s to the projectile's initial velocity.  It stands to reason that it would have an effect, yes?

in r/l, yes..but do they figure that in here?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 08:41:42 PM »
in r/l, yes..but do they figure that in here?
Anything make you think they wouldn't?

I know from a previous thread a long long time ago in a forum not so far away that HTC models the deceleration of rounds due to air resistance, and that the rate of deceleration depends on the speed of the projectile.  The context of the discussion was what .50 cal round would do more damage, the one fired from the rear gun of a bomber, or the return fire from the trailing fighter.  Trailing fighter loses, because it suffers more deceleration of its faster round than does the rearward firing buff gun.

Soooo . . . I can say with a fair amount of certainty that HTC takes the speed of the firing platform into account.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 09:26:56 PM »
hey lusche,

this is kinda related to another thread..the kinetic energy one......

do the rounds from the aircraft have a greater damaging effect than they would from another tank? figure the plane is going in the ballpark of 250 or so, whereas the tank is most likely stationary?
You brought up tanks which adds another factor.  First a projectile has to pass one of the most complicated damage model checks in the game.  Which is the armor penetration model.  Short answer is, generally speaking kinetic energy is factored into damage potential in a player-craft vs player-craft.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 10:13:11 PM »
I've taken out Tigers with a T34 against their front armor. Then again I was less then 200yrds and shot a HVAP in his face.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline *PAPA*

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 05:54:19 PM »
I assure you those 250 hits were not by 17lbers from a Sherman Firefly VC or 75mm L42s from a Panzer IV H.  The T-34/76 we have in AH could easily empty its ammo into a Tiger and get nothing for it.

Educate yourself before you post.

For person who is claiming that I must educate myself, you sound stupid. Where do I state that Sherman Fireflys and Panzers can hit Tigers over 200 times without killing it? I stated a fact from videos and pictures all over the internet that show a tiger with well over 200 hits(227).  Does this make me uneducated and mean that I can't post what I have seen? No it makes u and idiot.

There's good video at this link of Tigers.

http://www.alanhamby.com/video.shtml

T34s kill Tigers and it happens in AH only by 7% of the time.  Probably because skilled GVers are upping it much and it happened in real life.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Tiger_tank_hit_at_Kursk.jpg

Nuff said.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 01:57:25 AM »
For person who is claiming that I must educate myself, you sound stupid. Where do I state that Sherman Fireflys and Panzers can hit Tigers over 200 times without killing it?
It is implicit in your whine.  If you knew the difference between the Sherman Firefly VC and the US Shermans with a 75mm gun, then your post makes no sense.  Why complain about the Tiger not taking 250 hits when the gun it took those hits from is not in the game?

Logic fails you.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline *PAPA*

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 01:10:07 PM »
It is implicit in your whine.  If you knew the difference between the Sherman Firefly VC and the US Shermans with a 75mm gun, then your post makes no sense.  Why complain about the Tiger not taking 250 hits when the gun it took those hits from is not in the game?

Logic fails you.

Again you're an idiot posting that I don't know the difference tween a sherman and a firefly.  Where in my post does it imply that? Again for an "expert" your two posts regarding me is completely offtrack.  Maybe you need to attend a course on reading comprehension and while you're at it, learn how to get the foot odor out of your mouth.

The fact is that my original comment is that the HE round does not need to be modified. Nowhere is a comment regarding Shermans and the Firefly's.

Here is my comment: "Tiger is too weak now!  In real life there are reports of them taking as many as 250 hits before being disabled.  Nowadays in AH Tigers are turreted or killed in one shot. It aint worth the perks most times.

As far as velocity...You have
to add the speed of the plane to the rounds' velocity and it is short distance and the HE is usually hitting the ground under the tank's soft belly"