Author Topic: How do you think you would do in RL air combat?  (Read 2208 times)

Moose11

How do you think you would do in RL air combat?
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2000, 02:17:00 PM »
has anyone mentioned www.aircombatusa.com?

heh. If anyone in the boston area is interested, i need someone to fly against for the June 2001 dogfight..

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2000, 02:45:00 PM »
I think it depends on a lot of factors (not that you guys don't).

1. Eyesight (Mine isn't what it used to be, so that would be a SERIOUS draw back)

2. In RL, Peripheral vision and our physical senses would add to out SA/Aircraft Attitude knowledge (Could also screw us up if we don't read instruments well enough). But I think we would have an added edge here.

2. I think many of us understand the tactics quite well, since we have been able to get our butts shot off virtually and learn from that. Not to mention we  get to fly the aircraft we would fight to truly understand what our opponents A/C Strength/Weakness's are.

3. If I ever got over Pukin' my guts out I might be able to stay alive.

Overall, I would say we have an edge. Afterall, wasn't it that if you survived your first ten missions, you had pretty good odds of at least staying alive? I would say experience from AH would give us that edge of having survived those first missions.

SD

Offline BlackHammer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2000, 05:34:00 PM »
i don't think that flying AH would have much bearing on how you would fly for real.  the reason is that the prefferred tactics in here are radically different than in RL.  in RL team tactics were used; here people generally fly as individuals, even in groups.  in wwii the pilots often didn't have the luxury of only engaging when the enemy was in an inferior position.  you did as the squadron did, even if it meant mixing up up with 109's with E advantage.

i'm not trying to bust chops, but the attitude here is every man for himself.  if the mne has a bead on you, you bug out even if everyone else you flew in with is engaged.  try that in RL and you would get courts-martialed for desertion and cowardice. in wwii you had to depend on your mates to keep your six clear while doing the same for them.  this is not a priority for anyone here.

the one reason we might do better is we have access to everything we'd want to know about the nme planes and the benefit of 50 years worth of discussion on the appropriate tactics to use when encountering them.

personally, i think i'd do very, very well in wwii air combat.  not really because of AH, but because i have always been clearly superior to just about everyone else in just about every aspect, and i'm sure flying would be no different.

black hammer

Offline BlackHammer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2000, 05:36:00 PM »

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2000, 08:45:00 PM »
Ram good for you mate!
if you can take a beating for your beliefs you go up a notch in my estimation

now would you mind popping over to Ireland and doing the same to some IRA thugs?

hazed

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2000, 08:59:00 PM »
Well, I don't know about alla that other stuff. One thing fer sure though....

I'd kick that pasty-faced punk Nath's ass!  

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2000, 09:17:00 PM »
I'd like to see that fight.  

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2000, 09:45:00 PM »
Well I dunno about that... it could be pretty grim.

I reckon he pulls 3 G's after the merge and his ribcage implodes  

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2000, 10:01:00 PM »
might help me keep in the air, but actual fight, no-way. We know way ahead of time what we are facing in a sim. I don't know for sure, but I don't think identifying enemy and friendlies would be so easy in rw.
sax

Offline jedi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2000, 11:07:00 PM »
Hehehe...

We're talkin a REAL dogfight?  With REAL planes?  Against REAL fighter pilots?  TRAINED ones, not guys on their first combat mission or guys with 2 hours on Spits?

IF you've flown a real plane before, if you can land one, recover from a stall, and do one or two aerobatic tricks, you MIGHT live long enough to extend far enough away that it wouldn't be worth chasing you down.

If you tried to actually fight, you'd die.  100% of you, on the first mission.  Except Eagl, and he'd be hard-pressed to learn the differences between the sim warbird and the real one in time to actually fight an engagement.  Where's the gun charging switches?  Where's the gunsight switch?  How much boost for combat?  For how long?  These sim planes are pale imitations of real planes.  While you're figuring out how to tune the radio, JG-26 will be demonstrating how a real damage model works  

P.S.  the "acro pilot" would be dead even quicker, because he'd actually think he knew what he was doin  

Stick to saving the airliner when the pilots get food poisoning guys.  At least you'd have an autopilot to land the plane and a stewardess to show you how to work the radio--and nobody shooting at you  

--jedi (who would also die, unless he was smart/lucky enough to find a cloud and use the only skill that might save him--his instrument rating)  

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2000, 11:16:00 PM »
I'm not sure how many hours HiTech has of real stick time but didn't he win that Dogfight competition. Then at the end he pulled out a draw with Shaw. Personal I'd luv to try that aerial combat stuff myself just to see.

figaro

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2000, 02:06:00 AM »
RAM,

Ole tus cojones, suerte y anda con cuidado.  Todo eso esta muy feo.

Este post de tu parte compensa con creces todos los anteriores que me gustaron menos.

Saludos solidarios,

figaro

Offline marcof

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2000, 02:20:00 AM »
Good question, I think that in R/L, some of us would do quite well, but the fact that we could REALLY DIE!!, would proberly make us better pilots in the end, (safer).

Its not all about simply flying the A/C, also there would be a psycological effect on us, seeing our friends not returning etc...

But to answer the original question, I think that the majority of us would be as good as the next Raw recurit, if not slightly better.
Marco.

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2000, 03:11:00 AM »
its similar to this question:

"does a Racing Sim makes you a Michael Schumacher in RL?"  

IMHO every good Sim is ok for learning Basic steps (SA, Maneuvers ect.) but the Reality is a different world.

greets Gh0stFT

The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Pepino

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2000, 04:07:00 AM »
RAM,

Tienes razón.  

Pepe