Author Topic: Son Thinking of Enlisting in the Navy  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Son Thinking of Enlisting in the Navy
« on: August 28, 2008, 08:25:55 PM »
I have a 23 year old son that is thinking about enlisting in the Navy. He's visited the recruiter one time so far. I think the next time he goes back I'll go with him.

He has an associate degree from an accredited school; recording arts, he's a sound engineer.

Now, what are the key things to ask for, the things to watch out for, etc.? Are there currently enlistment bonus programs? I googled but found nothing definitive. He's interested in the LRP as he has some large school loans.

He's interested in the medical field as he feels its something he could easily find a job doing after he gets out since there will be plenty of old baby boomers like me keeping the health system hopping. He's thinking radiology/CAT scan type work.

Any and all tips, advice, suggestions appreciated.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
Re: Son Thinking of Enlisting in the Navy
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 08:29:14 PM »
I'd try to get him enrolled into a ROTC  program if he wants to do 2 more years of college. Would make life a heck of a lot easier on him.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 08:48:59 PM »
<<< Active duty Navy. My 2 year mark is in December for time in service so Im probably the earliest one in here Navy wise. If your son wants to go into the corpsman rate I would suggest against it as of now. Their rate is locked up advancement wise. Extremely hard to gain rank at this point in time. Also he would almost be guaranteed to be going overseas to Iraq, Afghanistan, or one of those Army hot spots.

I cannot comment on the college loans but I do know that the Navy will pay them off if he asks them to. And make sure he gets everything in writing and many copies of it.

Officer is the way to go. 
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 08:59:59 PM »
I plan to get a 200,000$$ scholarship to A&M from my NJROTC. They give em out after we're seniors.

ROTC scholarships are one of the best ways to go. Have him go for 2 years, then he'll be an officer I think from what I understand.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
He's 2 classes short of his Batchelor's.

On the corpsman rate, is it possible to come out of training and get right into radiology?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 09:06:40 PM »
First, have him visit all of the services.  It's a big decision to enlist and going into one office and saying, "This is for me!" is kind of a rush to judgment.  All services have something different to offer regarding their roles in the protection of this country but they all have the same educational benefits and the same pay rates.  Rates in the Coast Guard advance fairly fast, depending on which one it is.  I can't really tell you what the Health Services (medical) rating is doing right now but like I said, ask around.  I know there is a "C" school for radiology for corpsman if he so chooses to go that path.  As far as "C" schools go, it takes approval from your command to go to them, depending on the demand and where he's at but I don't think he'll be getting into that right away.  It's somewhat like a residency and he won't be a doctor per se.  Any doctor will be an officer.

Enlistment bonuses kind of got lost there for a while when I joined.  If that's something you or him are interested in, ASK.  It's a long drawn out process, the recruiter should welcome any questions that you have and answer assertively.

Ask him why he wants to join, the real honest reason.  It's okay to be selfish in the reasoning.  Make sure it's what he really wants to do, if there is any doubt about it then he needs to step back and think about it again.

P.S. ROTC doesn't automatically make you an officer when you enlist, but it does make things go a little smoother with the military structure of it.  You'll also possibly be able to enter at a higher rank and/or get a signing bonus.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:09:14 PM by nirvana »
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 09:11:15 PM »
He's 2 classes short of his Batchelor's.

On the corpsman rate, is it possible to come out of training and get right into radiology?

I dont know much about that rate. But if there is a school for it make sure he has it written into his contract. Anything he wants have it in writing.

And have him finish his degree. If he goes enlisted he has a good chance of coming in at a higher rank. Make sure thats in his contract to. A degree is also on the right path towards officer.

Nirvana hit it on the head tho. Have him go to ALL of the services first. If he intends to join the Navy to stay away from ground pounding he's got it wrong. The military is not what it used to be due to current situations. We all are doing things we never expected. When he goes to each recruiter use them aganst one another. Like buying a car or airline tickets. Say the Army recruiter says they will do this for me to another branch's recruiter. Make the recruiters fight for him, not him fight for one branch to except him

Also, the Navy is making some huge downsizes to our numbers. So the Navy is a hard place to be right now.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:16:19 PM by BlueJ1 »
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 09:13:58 PM »
He's thinking of enlisting mainly for the college loan repayment program money.

Air Force (my old service) is out because they are only covering $10K while Army and Navy will pay up to $65k. Of the two, he thinks the Navy would probably be more his type.

He could probably finish the two courses. He needs Probability and a Senior Project. But he seems like he's sick of school for right now. I pointed out the difference between E and O but he's still not that eager to go back to school.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 09:15:25 PM »
BlueJ1 I think they told him the Associate degree would put him in at E-3 after basic.

Of course, it all needs to be in writing. Everything.

I did ~7 years, enough to know that even if you have it in writing sometimes they welsh.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 09:17:33 PM »
My NJROTC Cheif served aboard the Enterprise for like 2 years. It sounded so cool, that if I ever dont get into the Marines, Navy is where it's at.  :aok

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 09:18:04 PM »
BlueJ1 I think they told him the Associate degree would put him in at E-3 after basic.

Of course, it all needs to be in writing. Everything.

I did ~7 years, enough to know that even if you have it in writing sometimes they welsh.

Roger that. I can say tho that anything in writing and signed now a days will hold water. Its what keeps a lot of us in.
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 09:19:02 PM »
My NJROTC Cheif served aboard the Enterprise for like 2 years. It sounded so cool, that if I ever dont get into the Marines, Navy is where it's at.  :aok

Carrier = h e double hockey sticks.

Are you a Sea Cadet? Or is this a high school NJROTC?
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 09:20:25 PM »
Carrier = h e double hockey sticks.

Are you a Sea Cadet? Or is this a high school NJROTC?

It's High School, but then again, my cheif was a diver...

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 09:24:24 PM »
Ah there is much for you to learn 1plus.

There are something like 10+ ways to make E-3 after basic.  Being an Eagle scout, enlisting for 6 years active, ROTC, degrees, etc.  Recruiters will hook you up with any info you need, and if they don't give me a shout and I can get it for you.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 09:31:36 PM »
It's High School, but then again, my cheif was a diver...

You dont have to listen to anything I say but this one tidbit of info. DO NOT JOIN UNDESIGNATED! Get yourself a rate. Or else you end up hating life chipping paint and cleaning on a daily basis.
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'