Author Topic: AH II Boxed Set Available in Stores  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
AH II Boxed Set Available in Stores
« on: August 28, 2008, 10:50:24 PM »
I have been thinking about this for a few weeks. I would really love to know the rationale behind it from the perspective of HTC. Why not offer a boxed set? Put it the major stores like Best Buy and Circuit City. We have some great artists that could do up a very nice three flapped box art. The price could include one month free subscription.

The problem I have is recruiting people I know and work with in real life. They are the baby boomers with more time and money right now and they are the children of the men who fought in WWII. These types of people don't like buying stuff over the internet, especially being asked for your credit card by a company most don't know.. It would be much easier if I could take Tom over to Best Buy after work and show him the game on the shelf where he can check out the flap art and read the captions...It's then 10 times more like he'll plunk down the 50 bucks and buy the game and enjoy his free month to find his new hobby.

By offering a boxed version it legitimizes the product in the eyes of the consumer. Without a boxed set, a game is like a Movie that went straight to DVD in their mind. Also, the demographics of the buyers of a strictly internet based product are probably  quite different from those shop around in Best Buy for highend electronics.

Well ,just food for thought... Maybe give it a try before another marketing attempt on History Channel
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 11:17:57 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
Re: AH II Boxed Set Available in Stores
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 10:53:19 PM »
More than likely would need to get the AI working to their satisfaction before going out on that kind of level.

Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 10:58:26 PM »
It doesn't have to contain Combat Tour. Just a nicely done Boxed Set of AHII with a poster of WWII fighters and a free month subscription. Then when Combat Tour comes out it can be added as an expansion.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 10:59:12 PM »
I think they should bundle the game with one of the better joysticks.  Or all of them.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 11:02:47 PM »
Wouldn't they lose money off of it? Unless they are paying a sub still...

EDIT: Oh I thought you meant something like Call of Duty or Flight Sim.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 11:02:52 PM »
I think they should bundle the game with one of the better joysticks.  Or all of them.

Yea, I that was done at some point, you could get a 50-100$ gift certificate for CH Products

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 11:05:55 PM »
More than likely would need to get the AI working to their satisfaction before going out on that kind of level.

Agreed.  If I went to Best Buy to get a boxed game and all I got were circling drones and a P-51 vs P-51 mission I'd feel ripped off and I'm in that demo.

With a large variety of fully developed AI missions that would provide offline immersion with the lure to play on-line then it would probably work, but that would also require finding an adequate distributor and having the money available to support the product at retail.  This isn't a small undertaking.  I spent 20+ years in the entertainment industry (consumer music and video) in both retail and wholesale and know fully the challenges this would present.

If not careful, the product returns alone could bury the company.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 11:11:14 PM »
Wouldn't they lose money off of it? Unless they are paying a sub still...

It won't change the subscription. It's a marketing thing. They get a gift certificate for a CH stick, a month's subscription, a beautiful poster of WWII fighter planes and well written and bound manual. The big difference is, adults with a lot of disposable income see that stuff and buy it in a store because they enjoy the genre, but aren't necessarily into serfing the net and looking up an obscure game made by a company they've never heard of. Then has to blind punch in their CC# online to try it. Trust me, make a Boxed version that can be held, the flaps and captions read, it  will be bought in person by someone who can always afford a nice computer and the gear required.

We simply don't attract/get a lot of new customers along these lines and I think this is one reason. AW never had a problem with it, but they also sold Boxed Sets.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 11:16:12 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 11:17:50 PM »
AW did it with some missions included
The average joe would want to try it - if he/she enjoyed -then would click to a link to online game it - its the way of the online game industry

Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 11:23:25 PM »
Eagl has a valid point. Zazen does too. It's a 50/50 chance. What they should do, is when downloading the game, throw in a bunch of non-bugged, tested and certified AI missions that players have made. No one's going to want to do Pony vs Pony. I understand that they did it quickly and all, but if they see where the AI can do un-real things, they will return it. We need to fully develop the AI first, and maybe update Offline Practice a bit too, having the ability to change the drone's planes, speed, and altitudes. Zazen is right, most guys won't surf the internet all day looking for it, but if they stop into a store and it catches their eye, they will try it, and if they think it's good, plug in their CC number and will probably be hooked. It's a good marketing tool, but the game still needs some work before putting this into play.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 11:33:21 PM »
Great idea, Zazen.

The legitimacy of the box is the critical factor here. Obviously putting money down into printing boxes, CD's, posters is an upfront cost, and can be considered a gamble. But think about the untapped consumer base: we all know that guy who, near his computer, has boxes and boxes of random games, some opened, some not, and of no discernible taste in genre. He buys games that catch his eye in the store. In fact, it's not just that guy, its thousands of guys. While they all don't own as many games, they all follow the same buying pattern, and buying philosophy "If it's good, it's in the store. If I see it in the store and it looks fun, I'll buy it"

Many people don't even know a game like this exists! 80 or so WWII vehicles, all human controlled, 24/7 action...people drool over this type of stuff. They end up playing the Battlefield series and CoD because those are what they see in the stores to satiate their urge for this type of stuff.

You might argue that HTC wants to keep a more "pure" customer base, and avoid the masses of completely inexperienced players who would come pounding on the server doors. I would argue that this game already has a great system that eliminates players who won't be a good "fit for the game. It's called getting the plane off the ground. People who are best suited for Battlefield games will find out within 5 minutes of playing this game that it's not right for them. They may return the game, yes, and then that would be no different than someone not subcribing after a free two week trial. But don't underestimate the large percentage of those who are well enough off with money and simply won't be bothered to return it. That's profit right there that would never have been made by the two week trial system. And of course the increased profit from a larger market goes without saying.

Making the game more accessible to the "traditional" buyers is only a good thing.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 11:42:49 PM »
Aside from the extra development work required don't slight the business realities of introducing a retail product.

First of all, no major retailer is going to buy directly from HTC, especially if they are a single product company.  The business is too small for them to even bother setting HTC up as a vendor, therefore HTC needs distribution.  No distributor want's to deal with a single product company either.  If they ship the product to retail and pay HTC within a reasonable time (say 60-90 days) they are exposed to all future product returns without additional products coming down the pipe to offset that exposure.  So in the real world, HTC has to fund thier product for 12-18 months without payment from retail or distribution until everyone is satisfied that the product has sold through or been returned.

Now on to selling through.  Putting a product on a shelf doesn't guarantee sales.  To bring in a new product, the retailer wants to see (and so does the wholesaler) commitment from the manufacturer.  They want to see general market advertising as well as funding to support the retail FSI's, endcaps and/or other programs.  With no skin in the game there won't be much support and little chance of success.

There's still other issues/considerations but there are the biggest initial hurdles.

As you might be able to see, the financial investment by HTC to roll a product out to 200+ Best Buy stores or 1300+ Wal-Mart stores in sufficient quantities to be meaningful to those retailers is huge and comes with no guarantees.

If it works it's a marketing coup.  If not it might be the end of HTC.

[EDIT]  I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade.  I've been there, done that.  Just telling it like it is.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 11:54:07 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 11:46:24 PM »
the downside risk is someone buying the game.. using the free month (or part thereof)... returning it, or better/worse yet, exchanging it ("it didn't download properly, can i get another of the same?")..

wash rinse repeat ad infinitum... or until the store(s) wise up to the miserly cheat.

so there's a very real financial risk... but there's potential for great reward, too.

i agree the "offline" stuff would have to be up to snuff first.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »

If it works it's a marketing coup.  If not it might be the end of HTC.

HT could always pawn his rv-8

:noid
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 11:57:22 PM »
You have to get publishers involved and that's a whole mess, it also takes away some of the control HTC would have because then it's the Publisher releasing the game. HTC would never get it in stores with out one of the big publishers, the big boys have all that stuff locked up real well. The only real option, would be to do some deals with companies like Saitek who already have product placement and give the game away on CD with the 2 week trial in their joystick packages.

Better yet don't even give away the CD, just have a nice fancy looking coupon included with the joy sticks with the link to D/L the game. I'm surprised HTC doesn't do this with CH products because at the very least that's a somewhat smaller company, that a deal like this could likely be done with. Maybe give a promo code so they get 3 weeks free or something.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:25:54 AM by crockett »
"strafing"