Author Topic: A question on wireless  (Read 278 times)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
A question on wireless
« on: September 01, 2008, 09:56:11 PM »
1 What is the typical range
2 I have had times where I lose connection and modem resets, and this morning I had no connection to the internet. I opened up the gateway and found some totally random username on it, changed it and all was back to normal. So If you are able to open up the gateway via wireless does this mean a neighbour could get6 in and use the connection.
3 If this is possible how can I stop this from happening, I have scanned from the lounge with a PSP and found 2 other wireless connections

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Re: A question on wireless
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 11:27:05 PM »
1> If conditions are ideal, could be several hundred feet.

2> Yes, a neighbor can definitely use your wireless connection if it isn't configured correctly.

3> To prevent this from happening, you need to disable broadcasting of your SSID (Network name basically) and also enable encryption.  This way they won't SEE your network, and if they were to discover it, they still couldn't connect because they won't know the password.  This should all be explained in your router's manual.  If you don't have one, go online and download one.

Keep in mind, if a serious hacker wanted to target you personally, they'll still find a way in.. but a neighbor wanting to piggyback on your internet won't be able to anymore.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 03:21:49 AM »
cool, cheers

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 12:29:16 AM »
Also, make sure you change the name of the connection (the SSID) and the password away from the default that the router is shipped with.  Everyone knows those defaults and if you leave it there, your neighbor can get into the router and change it.  For example I can usually see a neighbor's router with the default SSID of Linksys.  I bet his password is the default admin as well.  Plus he uses no encryption at all.  That means that anyone can get into his router and reprogram it to anything they want, including locking him out.  And, of course, they can get free internet by piggybacking on his connection.

Make sure you enable WPA or WPA2 security.  If you leave it with no security anyone can connect to your wireless router even if you change the router password or the SSID (if you leave broadcast SSID on).

In terms of range, I live in an area of 2.5ac lots so all my neighbors are least 300 ft away, yet I can see several.  I can occasionally even see the local Staples store WiFi which is line of sight, but nearly 5 miles away (they might use a high power WiFi though).