Author Topic: Landing Procedures of WW2  (Read 857 times)

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
Landing Procedures of WW2
« on: September 05, 2008, 06:29:55 AM »

Hope this gets out to some of the Historical Fighter squadrons out there.

Enjoy  :salute

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Landing Procedures of WW2
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 08:16:53 AM »
I've been trying to get the guys to do the four ship down the runway and peel off for a while now.  Never can quite get everyone to pull it off.  Two ships are easier :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 09:27:01 AM »
That's cool...  Thanks :aok
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 09:39:24 AM »
Kind of strange to see lead cross in front of #2 during the chandelle--I'd think an echelon right formation (instead of a finger-four) going into a left-hand break would be more ideal.  I'm probably missing something in the 3D aspect of the maneuver.  I do like the landing speeds and such around the remainder of the pattern though.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 10:07:44 AM »
Luftwaffe did not fly the runway heading, comin in low and fast from any compass heading primarily due to the fact that they lost so many in any kind of 'landing pattern' ..they practiced comin in hot from any direction and gettin the bird on the ground in shortest possible time after a hi-speed pass over the field so the ack gunners could pick off anyone tailin them :)

In AW and AH, I found that crossing mid runway from any direction at the limit of compressibility would allow me to crank in enough 'G' in the pullup and roll out to line the bird up on a runway for approach ..my best was during Battle over Germany scenario's in my 262, out of gas, bein chased by Mustangs, I still got that bird on the ground and stopped before they managed to get rounds into the bird.

Practice does help .. a lot.

-Frank
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 11:34:32 AM »
I saw a strange thing on that diagram.  Something about landing gear down?????  :confused: :confused:  What is that and what is it used for?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 11:45:47 AM »
I believe it shows where they extended their landing gear on the downwind leg of the landing pattern.  Or did I miss the sarcasm?
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 11:56:10 AM »
I believe it shows where they extended their landing gear on the downwind leg of the landing pattern.  Or did I miss the sarcasm?

Your correct stoney, the landing gear down indicates the location at which there landing gear had deployed.

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 12:05:58 PM »

Yup sarcasm.   :lol
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 12:06:53 PM »
Nice information. :aok
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 12:17:28 PM »
Kind of strange to see lead cross in front of #2 during the chandelle--I'd think an echelon right formation (instead of a finger-four) going into a left-hand break would be more ideal.  I'm probably missing something in the 3D aspect of the maneuver.  I do like the landing speeds and such around the remainder of the pattern though.

He doesn't cross in front, he pitches up and rolls left when clear.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Jenks

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 12:25:44 PM »
Ded,
Landing gear was something invented for pilots with piles (hemoroidal owwies, which they got them from sittin' on their behinds all day at 30k lookin fer picks.)  Basically they are stick like things with soft rubber stuff at the ends, that extend below the fuselage and cushion the aforementioned pile-its derriere.

hope this was helpful :D
MA  The Flying Circus
     Clown in training

FSO  JG11

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 03:17:49 PM »
What was the purpose of this landing tactic?
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 04:40:18 PM »
Well, high-speed breaks out of the landing pattern, IIRC, were a tactic began by the British early in the war to make sure that their six was clear before they began to land, i.e. they weren't being followed by German fighters.  Its adoption by U.S. forces is either a carry over of that same tactic, but by this point in the war, and especially for U.S. fighters on Iwo, was probably more of a hot-shot way to bring a formation in to land smartly.  I'm a fan of a nice tight formation break over the runway.  My squad has done a couple of good 4-ships, but mostly we only can manage 2-ship.

HiTech

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 04:57:52 PM »
Did you darw that in Arts & Crafts Talen?  :D