Author Topic: Ugh... Rolled my ankle, even got a trip to the emergency room  (Read 938 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ugh... Rolled my ankle, even got a trip to the emergency room
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 09:02:18 PM »
Get it taken care of. My ankles got weak from repeated sprains, especially the right one, during the start of my military training. It never healed fully and they both roll over very easy now.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 09:06:23 PM »
Sometimes sprained ankles are worse than breaks.  When I was still skateboarding, I stalled on a pebble that was in a pool and came down on my ankle wrong severly spraining it.  Had to have two operations to repair the ligaments and was in a cast for close to 6 months.  Then to add to my rotten luck, a week after the cast was removed, went to skate the same pool, took a wrong line on the vertical, shot out about 9ft out of the pool and came down in the deep end landing on my shoulder dislocating the collar bone.  Was in a shoulder cast for 10 months and had to have 2 more surgeries to repair the rotator cuff and nerve damage. 

ack-ack

Darwinian candidate. LMAO  ;)
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline lowZX14

• Silver Member
      • Home of the 325th Checkertails VFG
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 09:13:41 PM »
Get it taken care of. My ankles got weak from repeated sprains, especially the right one, during the start of my military training. It never healed fully and they both roll over very easy now.
I'll second that one Maverick.  First sprained it in high school, twice, one playing baseball and once playing football.  Then about 5 times or so in the Marine Corps, 3 of those running, and it hasn't been right since.
lowZX14
325th Checkertails VFG
www.325thcheckertailsvfg.com

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 09:23:58 PM »
I've sprained each of my ankles.
My left one playing Frisbee making a leaping catch and coming down my foot landed in that little ditch they dig around landscaping.
I felt it fold over (felt more like a fold then a roll) immediate agony.
I writhed on the ground like a snake with its head cut off for about 5 min.
Too much pain even to yell out.

Pain subsided to a semi tolerable level later on.
And other then an advil I never needed anything else

Second time My old dog (who was deaf as well as old) had gotten out of the yard one night.
I was concerned that since she could no longer hear. that she might try to cross the road and not hear a car comming at her.
I had a plane in flight in Airwarrior so I wanted to get her back quickly. So I ran in the direction I thought she went in.
realizing she hadnt gone that way I turned around and started to trot the other way. somehow I tripped and lost my footing and in trying to regain my balance I came down wrong on my right foot and rolled it.
Fell to the ground.
It hurt ALOT but nowhere near what I experienced with the other foot. At least not then.

Went to the hospital and also unlike the first foot where the pain kinda subsided. the pain in this one grew stronger.
Found out it was only a sprain and went home. complete with a brandy new set of crutches.
Middle of the night I got up to go to the bathroom.
I dont knwo if it was because of gravety that the blood was running back into my foot more or what.
But the pain grew ALOT worse.
So much that by the time I got back to the bed I was actually sweating and felt like I might pass out

Thing is. Between the two sprains. There was two different types of pain. Or I should say different ways the pain progressed.

The first one hurt immediately but subsided later on
The second didnt hurt as much but by the middle of the night felt worse then the first.

The first one the ankle swelled up alot larger and turned all sorts of cool colors as it healed
The second swelled but not as much. and didnt have nearly the bruising.

Oh and the first one now. I can crack. Like you crack your knuckles. Pretty regularly.

Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 09:31:27 PM »
Vicadin?!  For a sprained ankle?!  Jebus fediddlein Krist we have become a nation of wusses.

Ice, rest, go to rehab.  All those stupid exercises and stretching they make you do are worth it.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 09:31:43 PM »
Well, apparently I got to have surgery :huh

So, I guess it was pretty bad.  :confused:

I dont know how bad they can get, and this is the first time I have ever been hurt like this.

When the doctors saw it, they said "Wow, thats a bad break" Before the X-Ray came in.

No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 12:28:39 AM »
I've sprained each of my ankles.
My left one playing Frisbee making a leaping catch and coming down my foot landed in that little ditch they dig around landscaping.
I felt it fold over (felt more like a fold then a roll) immediate agony.
I writhed on the ground like a snake with its head cut off for about 5 min.
Too much pain even to yell out.

Pain subsided to a semi tolerable level later on.
And other then an advil I never needed anything else

Second time My old dog (who was deaf as well as old) had gotten out of the yard one night.
I was concerned that since she could no longer hear. that she might try to cross the road and not hear a car comming at her.
I had a plane in flight in Airwarrior so I wanted to get her back quickly. So I ran in the direction I thought she went in.
realizing she hadnt gone that way I turned around and started to trot the other way. somehow I tripped and lost my footing and in trying to regain my balance I came down wrong on my right foot and rolled it.
Fell to the ground.
It hurt ALOT but nowhere near what I experienced with the other foot. At least not then.

Went to the hospital and also unlike the first foot where the pain kinda subsided. the pain in this one grew stronger.
Found out it was only a sprain and went home. complete with a brandy new set of crutches.
Middle of the night I got up to go to the bathroom.
I dont knwo if it was because of gravety that the blood was running back into my foot more or what.
But the pain grew ALOT worse.
So much that by the time I got back to the bed I was actually sweating and felt like I might pass out

Thing is. Between the two sprains. There was two different types of pain. Or I should say different ways the pain progressed.

The first one hurt immediately but subsided later on
The second didnt hurt as much but by the middle of the night felt worse then the first.

The first one the ankle swelled up alot larger and turned all sorts of cool colors as it healed
The second swelled but not as much. and didnt have nearly the bruising.

Oh and the first one now. I can crack. Like you crack your knuckles. Pretty regularly.

arrrGGHHHH!

... WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PLANE???!!!!

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 01:04:43 AM »
When I was a truck driver I drove a conventional for years. Went to work for a company that had cabovers. One night after driving for about 20 hours I pulled into a truckstop in Knoxville, parked and stepped out onto the fuel tank to get out. Uh, no fuel tank to step on in a cabover. I fell about 5 foot straight down on my left leg, sprained my knee and ankle. Took longer for my ankle to heal than my knee.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 10:02:46 AM »
When I was a truck driver I drove a conventional for years. Went to work for a company that had cabovers. One night after driving for about 20 hours I pulled into a truckstop in Knoxville, parked and stepped out onto the fuel tank to get out. Uh, no fuel tank to step on in a cabover. I fell about 5 foot straight down on my left leg, sprained my knee and ankle. Took longer for my ankle to heal than my knee.

Yea, the doctor told me that the torn ligaments will take longer to heal than if it was just broken :huh

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 01:42:18 PM »
Yea, the doctor told me that the torn ligaments will take longer to heal than if it was just broken :huh

Tissue takes longer to heal than a broken bone.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 02:08:09 PM »
Tissue takes longer to heal than a broken bone.   

Well shoot... This is gonna be a not so fun.... however long it's gonna be.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 02:25:36 PM »
Heal quickly.

Mac

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 04:36:21 PM »
arrrGGHHHH!

... WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PLANE???!!!!

Oh..
Well I limped back to the keyboard and shot you down.   :D

Kidding

No. I limped back to the keyboard and finished my A 26 run. Radar at some Cz feild.
Got swarmed and shot down. Then went to the hospital.

Oh and the dog.
She was sitting on the front porch LMAO
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 04:43:10 PM »
LOL... see; irony adds to the story. Good one.. you had me laughing my bellybutton off... reminds me of when my cat managed to garrot my ankle, wreck my computer, nearly get me arrested and lose a bish war.

Pets.... *sigh*

:aok

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2008, 04:48:06 PM »
Yea, but I was running... :rofl

Of ALL the things I could get hurt from, it was that.... :cry

Don't feel bad...  A few months ago a buddy of mine tore his ankle up telling a story about snowmobiling.  He made it out of the actual process of snowmobiling unscathed...  It was the talking about it afterward that nailed him :)

We're gonna make fun of him for that 'til the day he dies :D
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group