Author Topic: Ugh... Rolled my ankle, even got a trip to the emergency room  (Read 939 times)

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
Ugh... Rolled my ankle, even got a trip to the emergency room
« on: September 12, 2008, 04:54:02 PM »
Man, isnt that convient? You're running in ROTC and you roll your ankle, possibly break something (Which didn't happen thank god) and then, you find you you tore a whole bunch of ligaments... Shoot, it's gonna be a while before I recover from this one.

(and I'm all trippy on meds)

:( :(
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Ugh... Rolled my ankle, even got a trip to the emergency room
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 06:33:52 PM »
Sometimes sprained ankles are worse than breaks.  When I was still skateboarding, I stalled on a pebble that was in a pool and came down on my ankle wrong severly spraining it.  Had to have two operations to repair the ligaments and was in a cast for close to 6 months.  Then to add to my rotten luck, a week after the cast was removed, went to skate the same pool, took a wrong line on the vertical, shot out about 9ft out of the pool and came down in the deep end landing on my shoulder dislocating the collar bone.  Was in a shoulder cast for 10 months and had to have 2 more surgeries to repair the rotator cuff and nerve damage. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 06:38:15 PM »
Yea, but I was running... :rofl

Of ALL the things I could get hurt from, it was that.... :cry

And what really blows is that to play aces high, I gotta walk up two flights of stairs.... err limp

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 06:38:44 PM »
Sometimes sprained ankles are worse than breaks.  When I was still skateboarding, I stalled on a pebble that was in a pool and came down on my ankle wrong severly spraining it.  Had to have two operations to repair the ligaments and was in a cast for close to 6 months.  Then to add to my rotten luck, a week after the cast was removed, went to skate the same pool, took a wrong line on the vertical, shot out about 9ft out of the pool and came down in the deep end landing on my shoulder dislocating the collar bone.  Was in a shoulder cast for 10 months and had to have 2 more surgeries to repair the rotator cuff and nerve damage. 

ack-ack

You could have won 10k on AFV on that second one.

;)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 06:40:34 PM »
Oh, and after I rolled it, my ankle swelled up to the size of a base-ball. And I didn't even get my Vicadin and Ibprofuen till about 3 hours after I rolled it. It took me that damn long to get checked out of school and out of the nurses office  :cry

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 06:43:24 PM »
Suck it up, puppie!

Hope yah feel better soon.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 07:20:23 PM »
That sucks, get better.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 07:26:22 PM »
Carry a sharpie and ask all the cute girls to sign your cast.  If you're lucky, you might get a phone number.  If you're really lucky, it will be her number, not the number to billy-bob's house of love.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 07:31:20 PM »
Lost count of how many times I sprained my ankle playing soccer.   I played from Age 3-14.   I never came out of a game.   Vicadin for an ankle sprain?   It's overkill and unnecessary.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 07:35:35 PM »
yeah.. but the scrip comes with a free skateboard certificate and plans for a jump ramp from the pharmaceutical company.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 08:09:46 PM »
Lost count of how many times I sprained my ankle playing soccer.   I played from Age 3-14.   I never came out of a game.   Vicadin for an ankle sprain?   It's overkill and unnecessary.   

No man, I still cant walk on it, I'm on crutches and even through the cast, my ankle is the size of a base ball. And it turned out, I tore all the ligaments in my ankle. So... SURGERY!  :uhoh

Plus, when you sprain your ankle, I dont think it's supposed to make that odd popping sound. The doctor says I gotta stay on crutches for I think 2 weeks :(

It depends on what happens after the surgery though. Damn, first time I ever had surgery, after really hurting myself for the first time... And of all the cool ways to hurt myself... it was RUNNING... :(  :rolleyes: :lol
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 08:15:17 PM by 1pLUs44 »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »
You could have won 10k on AFV on that second one.

;)

You know what made the 2nd injury worse?  I drove (in my old '63 VW 1300 Beetle Sedan) and had to drive myself to the hospital because my two friends didn't know how to drive a stick.  Couldn't call an ambulance because we had to trespass to skate the pool as it was in an old abandoned hotel (El Cortez Hotel) in San Diego.  Then the whole doctor exam was just as painful as the actual injury itself.  They made me slide a bag of lead shot off the examining table using with disclocated shoulder arm.  The last thing I remember when I did that was a loud scream, white light and then someone placing smelling salt under my nose because I had passed out from the pain.  Also had to put up with comments from the medical staff about how a 30 year old shouldn't be skateboarding.  Guess they were right, haven't skated in 8 years since, other than trips to the local store on my long board.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 08:15:14 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 08:32:06 PM »
I hope you get to be on the mend soon :)

With 3 sons, I'm fortunate to not have any of them break any bones yet. I did take them to the ER three times one month, each time with split open heads.  We've got our own little 'Staple Club' in our house. TxDad was in Iraq. They all proudly spread the hair on their scalp for photos to send to Dad while he was overseas. It was awful, actually... first time I ever saw anyone in shock was one of those split-open heads times. :uhoh
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 08:36:13 PM »
Rolled ankle while running? 
GAWD kids are so weak nowadays...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 08:42:51 PM by AWMac »

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 08:43:54 PM »
No man, I still cant walk on it, I'm on crutches and even through the cast, my ankle is the size of a base ball. And it turned out, I tore all the ligaments in my ankle. So... SURGERY!  :uhoh

Plus, when you sprain your ankle, I dont think it's supposed to make that odd popping sound. The doctor says I gotta stay on crutches for I think 2 weeks :(

It depends on what happens after the surgery though. Damn, first time I ever had surgery, after really hurting myself for the first time... And of all the cool ways to hurt myself... it was RUNNING... :(  :rolleyes: :lol

The popping sound is the joint going in and out of the socket.   I've never had surgery and have twice rolled my ankle in such a way that I saw the entire sole of my shoe.   

A "sprain" is "tearing of the ligament".   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC