Author Topic: Georgia attack is 'Russia's 9/11'  (Read 488 times)

Offline mg1942

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Georgia attack is 'Russia's 9/11'
« on: September 12, 2008, 09:40:30 PM »
Wow... new spin to justify the sideshow that Russia did during the Beijing olympics...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7612507.stm

Mr Medvedev was speaking to a group of foreign policy experts when he likened events in South Ossetia last month to the attacks on New York and Washington in 2001.

"Russia has zones where it has its interests. It is senseless to deny this, because we will defend our interests and the interests of Russian citizens," he said.

"The world has changed and it occurred to me that 8 August 2008 has become for Russia as 11 September 2001 for the United States. This is an accurate comparison corresponding to Russian realities.

"Humankind has drawn lessons from 11 September tragedy and other tragic events. I would like the world to draw lessons also from these events [in South Ossetia]."

Russia had not sought a war, Mr Medvedev said, blaming both Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili and US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who he accused of fuelling Georgian belligerence.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Georgia attack is 'Russia's 9/11'
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 10:10:57 PM »
FU Mrs. Medvedev    :aok
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ponyace

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 11:09:19 PM »
Sombody slap this guy upside the head.
He has NO idea what he is talking about. 2,000 civilians died in a massive attack that was unprovoked and shocking. The World Trade Center was a symbol of economic prosperity, and know it is nothing but a terrible reminder of evil. Meanwhile, as far as I know in South Ossetia, they were invaded BY RUSSIA and the target were military and was not at ALL destructive to the Russian people.
This gets me mad. :mad:
Gatore
Formerly "Ponyace"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 11:17:18 PM »
Meanwhile, as far as I know in South Ossetia, they were invaded BY RUSSIA
May want to read up on the conflict.

Either way, Russia's statements on this are.... laughable.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 11:19:04 PM »
RRrriiight... Russia keeps provoking Georgia for years to make this happen and then gloats over it as a national tragedy. Not to forget that everyone in south osseatia was able to get russian nationality without even asking for it.

Offline Ponyace

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 11:20:48 PM »
srry about that. Just REALLY gets me mad that Russia would compare 9/11 to the Georgian Conflict, and posted without thinking. Still thinks he deserve to be slaped :aok
Gatore
Formerly "Ponyace"

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 11:31:07 PM »
Sombody slap this guy upside the head.
He has NO idea what he is talking about. 2,000 civilians died in a massive attack that was unprovoked and shocking. The World Trade Center was a symbol of economic prosperity, and know it is nothing but a terrible reminder of evil. Meanwhile, as far as I know in South Ossetia, they were invaded BY RUSSIA and the target were military and was not at ALL destructive to the Russian people.
This gets me mad. :mad:

Oh, the Russian invasion of Georgia has historical precedents. Chzechloslovakia in '68, Hungary in '56, Afghanistan in '79...But 9/11 is not only in a different column, but a whole different chapter and book. Not a single similiarity.

But, he more than likely knows that...and IMO he just said that to get our blood up, perhaps hoping to make his own recent actions an election issue here.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 11:36:23 PM »
May want to read up on the conflict.

Either way, Russia's statements on this are.... laughable.

Actually, there is a good chance he was correct. Read an article by a reporter in the region that said the Georgian troops only invaded when they got news of a Russian column moving into South Ossetia. They tried to stop the Russians and got their butts kicked.

The article was linked in one of the threads during the conflict.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 12:46:09 AM »
Sounds like something Boroda would say...
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 01:03:51 AM »
<sound of teletype machines w/ dramatic music swelling>

<Cut to newsroom talking head>

Big lights in sky are expected to appear in the east thanks to Russia's tanking economy.. thoroughly rattled neighbors are busy 'arming up'. Korea starving.. and where is Kim Jong Ill?. Cuba kicked back to third world status by back to back country wrecking hurricanes and Generalissimo Fidel Castro is still dead...

<talking head swings to camera 3, close up>

"... Good evening. Those are the headlines, now for the rumors behind the news."

HOLY CRAP!!

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 07:20:00 AM »
<sound of teletype machines w/ dramatic music swelling>

<Cut to newsroom talking head>

Big lights in sky are expected to appear in the east thanks to Russia's tanking economy.. thoroughly rattled neighbors are busy 'arming up'. Korea starving.. and where is Kim Jong Ill?. Cuba kicked back to third world status by back to back country wrecking hurricanes and Generalissimo Fidel Castro is still dead...

<talking head swings to camera 3, close up>

"... Good evening. Those are the headlines, now for the rumors behind the news."

HOLY CRAP!!

:rofl
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline scot12b

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 09:03:54 AM »
F in commies :furious

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 09:16:13 AM »
Iron curtain dropped a while back.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 10:04:16 AM »
Michael Totten has been in country and wrote up a few good articles.  I'll take his word over many others.

http://www.michaeltotten.com/

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 10:11:43 AM »
This can only end one way....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMqSmiC_xHg
No one knows what the future may bring.