Author Topic: HE rounds  (Read 782 times)

Offline **CLONE155**

• Zinc Member
HE rounds
« on: September 13, 2008, 10:44:29 PM »
HE=High explosive, correct?

I don't know how they are able to bounce off a tank then. Doesn't High explosive mean Explodes easly?

I may be rong, but my wish is that deflections with an HE round arn't possible.

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
Re: HE rounds
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 10:49:34 PM »
Difference between an AP (Armor Piercing) and and HE (High Explosive) is that AP can penetrate armor and that HE explodes on impact of the building or soft gun etc etc. Reason why HE rounds bounce off of tanks (most of the time anyway) is because the armor is slanted and the round doesn't get the chance to explode.

hope that helps.
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 11:04:20 PM »
I think that HE rounds have a percussion cap on the front end, and if that doesn't hit the fuse doesn't ignite and it doesn't explode. So if it hits the tank at some weird angle (like, say, the kind that would cause a ricochet) it doesn't explode.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 11:09:52 PM »
I *think* AH's model is limited in that regard.  A round either penetrates armor, or it deflects, with no other outcome.  I know darn well that HE rounds are likely to detonate on armor after dropping numerous 81mm rounds "metal to metal" on target hulks out on the firing range.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 11:38:35 PM »
I know darn well that HE rounds are likely to detonate on armor after dropping numerous 81mm rounds "metal to metal" on target hulks out on the firing range.
I stand corrected. :aok

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 02:56:43 AM »
I *think* AH's model is limited in that regard.  A round either penetrates armor, or it deflects, with no other outcome.  I know darn well that HE rounds are likely to detonate on armor after dropping numerous 81mm rounds "metal to metal" on target hulks out on the firing range.
High Angle Hell , do you ever miss that flash when ya get that steel on steel ?

Offline Odisseo

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 10:08:31 AM »
IMHO something wich would be realistic is to put a sort of "don't moove your stik too fast" command when you get hit by a AP or HE shell...like a noise after the impact wich would get the tank out of combat for some seconds.

I'm artillery officier and I lead a batterz of M109KW long range tanks,I won't list the munition we have, but for example firing a normal Iron shell (artillery shell) caliber 155mm with a impact fuse (detonator) and not retarded won't enter in a M1 or Leopard2 armor (80-90K lb tanks), but be sure the impact will shock/kill who's inside.
The same is for a 75mm caliber, with maximal charge we talk about 250 to 400 m/s. If you want I can calculate the nr of joule you get on the impact wich, with or without AP, would at least shock who's inside for some seconds/minutes.
I saw a Gren-tank 2000 fire some short bursth with his 36mm cannon against a tank target (a old T68 tank of 100K lb). The armor was still perfectly intact, but with the impact the tank moved some meters...you can just imagine how would be inside the tank.

Save Swiss Milk, drink Beer!

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 10:11:12 AM »
I *think* AH's model is limited in that regard.  A round either penetrates armor, or it deflects, with no other outcome. 
This seems to be true in my experience.  I have hit armor at 90 degrees and received a "bounce."

If you think about it, this is actually probably the best thing to do from a gaming standpoint.  Otherwise you have what would appear to be a hit sprite when you actually have caused no damage.  With the bounce shot, you at least know for certain you did not harm the enemy tank, while conversely knowing that when you see a hit sprite, you at least did something to him.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."