Author Topic: killed otr by my own ack  (Read 939 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
killed otr by my own ack
« on: September 14, 2008, 01:03:45 AM »
I was otr at P108 tonight when a TBM buzzed the airfield at treetop level.  Our base ack opened up and killed me with a couple pings just like that. :cry

So there's my wish.  Make it so that your own base ack can't kill you when you're otr.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: killed otr by my own ack
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 01:04:22 AM »
Sorry, but that's pretty funny. :lol

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 01:24:17 AM »
In my second month online with AHII I complained about this and was told very forcefully that it is impossible for your own ack to kill you. I didnt believe it then and I dont believe it now. By the way airfield ack has nothing on CV ack when its a friendly taking the hits!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 01:26:05 AM »
Oh, I've seen people taken out in flight by friendly ack on multiple occasions. :uhoh  You were told wrong! :lol

It's funny, because that doesn't strike me as so unjust, but when you've merely spawned on the runway it's a different story.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 01:44:32 AM »
In my second month online with AHII I complained about this and was told very forcefully that it is impossible for your own ack to kill you. I didnt believe it then and I dont believe it now. By the way airfield ack has nothing on CV ack when its a friendly taking the hits!
Whoever said that is wrong.  Although your own auto-ack does not shoot at you.  It can hit and damage you. 

What they may have been thinking of is that a manned gun cannot damage a friendly.

Offline **CLONE155**

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 03:11:54 AM »
this kind of thing happens all the time to me, and ya know what, i dont want it to change. its realistic.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 09:08:34 AM »
this kind of thing happens all the time to me, and ya know what, i dont want it to change. its realistic.
Burden of proof.

I wasn't claiming that it is not realistic, but I'd like you to find an example of an airplane shot otr by its own AAA in WW2.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 09:29:26 AM »
Burden of proof.

I wasn't claiming that it is not realistic, but I'd like you to find an example of an airplane shot otr by its own AAA in WW2.

Where to start.   Almost 5-8 C-47's enroute to Sicily were shot down by our own ack.   This is probably the best example.   BTW, this is just one of MANY occasions for it. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ponyace

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 09:35:17 AM »
Another example is Pearl Harbor. The Enterprise, several miles off shore, scrambled carrier planes to assist in stopping the Japanese suprise attack. Pearl Harbor was at their maximum range, so it was assumed that they would land there. It was over when they arrived, but the gunners thought they were enemy and started shooting at them. Only one out of the four that arrived to Pearl Harbor survived the accident. It was probably the first friendly fire accident of the U.S. in WW2
Gatore
Formerly "Ponyace"

Offline Odisseo

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 09:54:20 AM »
Burden of proof.

You want an example? there are thousand of example, just check Pearl Harbor attack and read about peaple killed by own country weapons. Ship cannons and MG was firing sea level to flying planes "cross fire" and killed themselves. Allways in PH don't forget all the ppl killed by falling down shells. IRL there was much more Kill shooter than in AH.
Save Swiss Milk, drink Beer!

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 10:02:15 AM »
They may have meant the manned acks.  Manned guns of any kind can not harm friendlies.  Auto acks certainly can.

I was trying to figure out the balistics on the 40mms on the carrier one time (since I never get to use it) and the most convenient target to do that was a friendly airplane lifting from the carrier (it was not under attack).  You should have heard him whine about idiots in field guns shooting him down all the time.  I politely explained that there was no way I could harm him from a field gun (never mind the fact I hadn't even come close to hitting him), only to have him insist (again) in more colorful terms that it happens to him all the time.   :lol

Guess the point is that there is often confusion out there.  If you are hit by your own ack, it is the auto ack, not the manned ack.  But auto ack can most certainly kill you.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 10:18:29 AM »
Reading comprehension? :huh

I said "killed otr by their own AAA."  That means "on the runway" for anyone who's confused.  All of the examples you guys gave were friendlies shot in flight by their own AAA.

Secondly, I don't buy that just because it's realistic that it should be in the game.  There are plenty of fudges in AH that are intended for fun and playability, e.g. killshooter is the best example.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:23:06 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 10:39:21 AM »
Reading comprehension? :huh

I said "killed otr by their own AAA."  That means "on the runway" for anyone who's confused.  All of the examples you guys gave were friendlies shot in flight by their own AAA.

Secondly, I don't buy that just because it's realistic that it should be in the game.  There are plenty of fudges in AH that are intended for fun and playability, e.g. killshooter is the best example.

I knew this would be your retort.   I'm not confused.   The bottom line is this, regardless if you are "otr" or flying over your base, rolling on the runway when a suicide dweeb is present, Friendly fire can still take you down from Auto Ack.   Friendly fire is called that, regardless of the "incident".   Friendly Fire happens. 

Personally I wish killshooter was off.   I'd roll, chop throttle, shoot down the idjit firing over my shoulder, then shoot down the con. 

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 10:42:11 AM »
I knew this would be your retort.   I'm not confused.

:rofl
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline NEARY

• Nickel Member
      • The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 02:01:20 PM »
i've been killed multiple time in offline practice by my own ack
The 18th FG Killer Chihuahuas.since tour 97.        CO: KCTHUNDR(me)
 ( NEARY tours 96- 107) 2nd in command: Penguin. www.freewebs.com/18thfg   in game i.d.: KCTHUNDR

OBey Teh ChIHuaHUa!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!11!!!1