Author Topic: McCain Boasts Economy Strong..While Dow and S&P both drop 5%  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Re: McCain Boasts Economy Strong..While Dow and S&P both drop 5%
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2008, 02:48:02 PM »
Sorry Challenge... I consider Rush as much of an extremist arsewipe as Oblerman, Air Amerika, etc.

Anything coming off his desk is more than suspect.

The electorate needs to find it's own arse with it's own hands for a change.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2008, 03:05:12 PM »
Sorry...that top water got slammed from both directions  :rofl

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2008, 03:28:37 PM »
Limbaugh is equivalent to Obermann?

Please! Thats like comparring a fine scotch to pisswater.   
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2008, 03:30:27 PM »
enough of either will get yah in a hospital. ;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2008, 04:05:46 PM »
Whether its tainted or straight stuff he is usually right. Shamus you and Moray both didnt follow directions.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2008, 04:27:11 PM »
Well, the following points may appear to be somewhat disjointed, cause my workday started at 5:30, and I'm tired...but here goes.

1.  There's a lot of overblown rhetoric about the economy floating around in the news and on the blogs.  Fact:  The end is not here.

2.  We are not in the worst financial crisis in decades.  

3.  This "financial crisis" is not like the Great Depression.  Gore made that statement in 1992, and Obama an almost identical statement yesterday.  Unemployment during the 1930s averaged 25% nationally.  In some cities in the old Steel Belt it was over 50%.  Currently, it's about 6%.  So gimme a break.

4.  The Stock Market Crash of 1929 did NOT cause the Great Depression.  I don't know what type of history they teach at Hahvahd, but if a student of mine had studied that era of history and written a paper that came to that conclusion I'd have given them an F for the course.  That financial calamity was caused by a plethora of economic problems, stemming from national and international factors.

5.  McCain is right, the real strength of the economy does not rest with Wall Street;  it's in the hands of the American worker and private business, and they are still going strong.

6.  The "Palin Approach" to solving the crisis in our lending institutions is the correct one;  let those that did NOT practice any SELF-regulation in their lending practices sink.  NO government bailout should be forthcoming.

7.  On the front page of the papers just last week;  GDP grew by 2% last quarter.

8.  The Dow has already begun to rally, closing up by 142 pts. today.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 04:36:07 PM by Shuckins »

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2008, 04:41:04 PM »
 "Fundamentally strong"  Then he clarifies "The American worker is the hardest working ...in the world". Trouble is the American worker can't do much when corporations give 100-200 million dollar checks to CEO's. This is quite similar to the airline bailouts. They all paid their CEO big checks then went begging to Congress. Congress bailed them out.

Today he called for a "Blue ribbon commission". Seems we've heard that one before. Political appointee's checking up on political appointee's. More of the same ol'BS.

They should be commenting on how the Federal reserve is just a mouthpiece for the administration.

Neither candidate has a clue about this. Billions in bail out money, 9 trillion debt, 400billion deficit, over 50% of every tax dollar collected goes to servicing the debt. Foreign governments holding the notes. And nothing concrete from either Obama or McCain.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2008, 04:41:21 PM »
Chalenge, he is a talking head of the first degree, on par with Jon Stewart, entertaining with a following.

They both make some good points, but read between the lines man!!!

If you are gonna sit there and say he is right and take offense when someone calls him on an obvious screwy partisan comment, well I dont know.

shamus  

one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2008, 05:08:08 PM »
Well, the following points may appear to be somewhat disjointed, cause my workday started at 5:30, and I'm tired...but here goes.

1.  There's a lot of overblown rhetoric about the economy floating around in the news and on the blogs.  Fact:  The end is not here.

3.  This "financial crisis" is not like the Great Depression.  Gore made that statement in 1992, and Obama an almost identical statement yesterday.  Unemployment during the 1930s averaged 25% nationally.  In some cities in the old Steel Belt it was over 50%.  Currently, it's about 6%.  So gimme a break.

4.  The Stock Market Crash of 1929 did NOT cause the Great Depression.  I don't know what type of history they teach at Hahvahd, but if a student of mine had studied that era of history and written a paper that came to that conclusion I'd have given them an F for the course.  That financial calamity was caused by a plethora of economic problems, stemming from national and international factors.

5.  McCain is right, the real strength of the economy does not rest with Wall Street;  it's in the hands of the American worker and private business, and they are still going strong.

6.  The "Palin Approach" to solving the crisis in our lending institutions is the correct one;  let those that did NOT practice any SELF-regulation in their lending practices sink.  NO government bailout should be forthcoming.

7.  On the front page of the papers just last week;  GDP grew by 2% last quarter.

Much of the doom and gloom is the political season. We may not be in the "worst financial position in decades" but there are some severe problems that will not go away. IF these problems are not fixed THEN the downward trend will continue. THEN the doom and gloom brigade will be right. That's a big IF. I trust that our elected officials will protect their phony baloney jobs and fix some of these problems. Its too much to expect that they will fix much, they will do just enough till the next end of the world comes.
 Those saying we are in a recession are doing a disservice to all they serve(media and politicians) Recession; 2 or more successive quarters with zero or lower growth. Current American economy; in a slowdown not a recession.

As for the stock market crash; Money problems are a symptom of a greater problem. Usually over spending or other bad financial habits. So accepting that premise, the stock market crash was but a symptom of financial irregularities.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2008, 05:15:59 PM »
"Fundamentally strong"  Then he clarifies "The American worker is the hardest working ...in the world". Trouble is the American worker can't do much when corporations give 100-200 million dollar checks to CEO's.

100 to 200 million dollar checks should be reserved for Yankee third basemen.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2008, 05:23:02 PM »
Bankers in control of printing money = National Debt = more taxes for Joe Shmo.

'nuff said.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2008, 05:28:51 PM »

Nice post Shuckins, no one wants to hear the truth though.

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2008, 05:59:21 PM »

2.  We are not in the worst financial crisis in decades.  Although, comparing McCain's speech to Herbert Hoover...does get kind of interesting.  He said almost word for word, what Mr. McCain did yesterday.

1: I agree.  If we don't get it taken care of though, the end could be beginning.

2: Name a financial crisis, worse, within 50 years.

3: Yes the Great Depression this isn't.  We aren't in a depression yet.  Those figures on unemployment were at its' height, not its' onset.  At its' onset, the jobless rate climbed very slowly.... until it started going out of control.

4: No the stock market crash didn't cause the depression.  It was caused BY the onset of the depression.  The depression was caused by many of the same things that are working hard to unravel the system now... DEREGULATION.

5:  Unemployment has been rising steadily for 5 years.  I don't call that a strength.  Also, most top shelf jobs (white collar and Industry) have been replaced by Service sector jobs.... which contribute nothing to the Economy, only redistribute dollars.

6: "Palin approach"?  Unreal.  A year ago this chick is sitting in a basement in Wasilla OK'ing traffic lights.... and now she's your saviour?

7: GDP went up due to lowering of imports, not a resurgence in manufacturing.  Manufacturing slowed in the last quarter, but due to the weak dollar, many overseas importers are buying U.S. goods that are on-hand.  You really need to look past the front end of things.

8: Rallying up is a good start.... and the only reason it did so is the huge influx of dollars the Fed is injecting into the propping up of the mortgage industry.  The markets are still down 4% over the past two days, and the trading was incredibly volatile today, up 175 then down 200...Be interesting to see what happens to the Nikkei and the European markets tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:05:07 PM by MORAY37 »
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2008, 06:29:27 PM »
2.  The financial crisis of the Carter Years was far worse:  double-digit inflation, interest rates near 20%.  In terms of how it impacted the common Joe, this crisis can't even begin to compare.

4.  You're dead wrong on this one.  Deregulation had very little to do with the Depression, which started overseas and was exacerbated by economic events at home:  Declining foreign markets for manufactured goods as well as farm products (Cotton, for instance, was selling for roughly a quarter of what it had at the end of WW I).  Overproduction stockpiled manufactured goods in warehouses because foreign markets dried up.  Deregulation played a secondary part in that crisis, due mainly to some bright boys trying to corner the market (Of gold, I believe, though my memory may not be accurate on this.)

5.  Pfft!  I don't call a growth in unemployment from 5 to 6% worth screaming about.  That falls well within the range of average swings due to periodic fluctuations in economic growth.  That could well turn around within a single economic quarter.  The statement that the economy is producing only service sector jobs, which produce nothing for the economy is a fallacy, which has been proved false by the continued growth of the economy and federal tax revenues.  The U.S. still has the largest and most vital economy in world history, and it continues to grow.

6.  I prefer the "Palin Approach" to the "Obama Approach" which promises to spend massive amounts of taxpayer money to bail out the rogue lending institutions.  Unreal, only X number of years ago this dude was sitting in the Illinois State Legislature, voting "present" on every controversial bill that crossed his desk, and accepting credit for other senators bills.

7 & 8.  Welp, the economy is driven by a number of engines, and the change in foreign trade due to the weak dollar is definitely one of them.  But it is not the whole picture by any means.  Nor is the market rally due solely to the influx of federal bailout dollars.  Not bad arguments though.  What's your source?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:41:10 PM by Shuckins »

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2008, 06:33:51 PM »
Our economy goes to the gym 3 nights a week.

myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling