Author Topic: Animated Water  (Read 886 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Animated Water
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 06:01:47 PM »
109F. First skin I did based completely on photographs.

http://heinzknokewebsite.com/My-Site/The_planes.htm

</hijack> :D

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 06:09:30 PM »
yours has too many wheels :)

nice skin

your avatar looks terrible. But they still let you have it

best come back of the year!  :t

If anyone wants to remember what animated water looks like watch this old film i made a few years back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ecaZ3KWZHE

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 07:16:49 PM »
Animated water looked terrible.

yup, it looked like a badly tuned analog tv (we still have them here....)
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 07:54:49 PM »
Furthermore , if they were going to take it out , they should bring it back new and improved.

Waffle IS a role model, use him wisely. He played and played and played without demanding much. Then he figured out how to make cool things that had a great benefit to the game and the community. Now, he's an employee and still making things better. Maybe you should make some cool water textures and submit them for HTC to decide on their use? You too could have that plush office in Grapevine, making thousands upon thousands of...well....whatever they pay Waffle.

:aok
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 12:17:10 AM »
yours has too many wheels :)

nice skin

best come back of the year!  :t

If anyone wants to remember what animated water looks like watch this old film i made a few years back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ecaZ3KWZHE

The shot at about 45 seconds of that wingless FW coming down right on the camera, that is just sweet. One of the coolest shots I've seen in an AH film. Too bad the instant disappearing of the wings when shot off is so noticably fake. That's a problem we still have, and is much more important than shimmering water.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 01:10:49 AM »
Thanks trotter, I always loved that shot myself. It was a long time ago and i just got lucky with the angle. I am not sure but i think it was a film viewer bug that erases the wings rather than a game bug, im not sure i remember.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 03:46:45 AM »
If I don't play with framerate cap my framerate is bouncing between 150-600 at 1900x1200. Unlike several others on here I've got a pc from this millennium.. however, the animated water was indeed rather sh*te. It was much harder on the eye when you were fighting on deck over water...

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 07:39:24 AM »
I would like to get animated water back considering I can handle it well with my new video card. Even with my old one id put it on ::). It looked great. HtC please bring it back...!!! Skuzzy come on .. Ill give you a cookie ::)

ya, because they took it away onl because YOUR machine couldn't handle it. :rolleyes:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Online Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 08:32:32 AM »
Ack Ack you say it drops frames true. It was not mandatory , you could put it on if you liked it or turned it off if you didn't.

Chances are that Skuzzy would be willing to bet a Double Cheese WHATTABURGER that he'd get blasted with phone calls and e-mails from players complaining about single digit frame rates because they enabled 3D water and forgot they did it.

Offline beddog

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 08:41:11 AM »
The animated water was removed because most of the player base didn't use it.  It looked terrible from almost any altitude and it had a negative impact on most player's FPS.

ack-ack

Amen to that ack-ack.  Without looking at your altimeter, it was real hard to judge where the surface of the water was because of the way it met the horizon or something.  At least it seemed that way to me.
:disclaimer: 79% of all my posts are Sarcastic.  It's too much work for me to point out which posts are sarcastic and which aren't, so I'm going to use this signature to reduce overhead and sarcastic post identification time consumption or SPITC for short.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 09:31:22 AM »
You too could have that plush office in Grapevine, making thousands upon thousands of...well....whatever they pay Waffle.

Waffles?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 09:39:04 AM »
The screenshot posted is NOT a representation of the old "animated water" effect. Don't confuse different water textures on different maps or different tile updates for the animated water effect.

Animated water was removed in 2.10. I can't find too many screenshots of it on the forums (most of them are very old, and the images get taken down over the years). I did find this:

From 20k the water looked okay, but below that it started looking bad... then sad... then "smurfy" and it screwed your FPS and your depth perception horribly because there were no real waves, just light highlights.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 12:36:17 PM »
I remember animated water from the viewpoint of an LVT was pretty sweet. Not real by any means but I enjoyed it.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.