Author Topic: Wed Snapshot (Rhthym of the Cobra) 9/17/08  (Read 812 times)

Offline hornet36

• Nickel Member
Wed Snapshot (Rhthym of the Cobra) 9/17/08
« on: September 16, 2008, 08:23:34 PM »
Rhythm of the Cobra

The men and P-39s of the USAAF's 8th Pursuit Group (PG) achieved operational readiness in Port Moresby, New Guinea, at the end of April 1942. Eager to engage the enemy, the PG sortied an offensive sweep to the Japanese airfields at Lae and Salamaua on the last day of April.
Formation leader Lt Col Boyd D 'Buzz' Wagner reports:
"Our approach was made on Lae from 50 miles out to sea at an altitude of about 100ft in order to prevent our detection. When about 20 miles out, four aeroplanes were sent ahead to engage the Japanese Security patrol over Lae Drome. The top cover drew the enemy security patrol off to the east of Lae Drome, and no aerial resistance was encountered during our strafing attack. Inaccurate ground machine gun and ack-ack fire was observed.
Our strafing aeroplanes were then attacked from above by several Zero fighters. Belly tanks were dropped immediately and throttles opened. Our formation began to pull away from the Zeros when the last four P-39s turned to engage three of the enemy fighters in combat. In the meantime, more Zeros had appeared, and it is estimated that we were attacked by 12 to 13 altogether. The four P-39s were now hopelessly outnumbered, so I turned the entire formation back and a terrific fight ensued between 13 P-39s and an equal number of Zeros."

Four Zeros were claimed shot down by the P-39 pilots, and the Americans lost four fighters - three pilots eventually made it back to Port Moresby on foot and the fourth was reportedly captured and executed by the Japanese. From the four claimed Zeros, Buzz Wagner scored three, raising his score to total of eight and making him the ranking US ace in-theatre at the time.

George Mellinger and John Stanaway - P-39 Airacobra Aces of World War 2

Arena
SEA

Country Percentages
Allies-50%
Axis-50%

Allies - Rooks
100% P-39D of USAAF 8th PG

Orders:
-Takeoff from Port Moresby (A10)
-Execute an offensive sweep over the enemy airfield at Lae (A12). Strafe the field and and attack any sighted enemy aircraft.

Restrictions:
-75% of the planes attacking A12 must stay under 2000ft above ground level
-25% of the planes may fly as top cover and have no altitude limit
-No refuel / replane
-Do not fly out of the map boundary

Axis - Knights
100% A6M2 Zeros

Orders:
-Takeoff from Lae (A12)
-Defend Lae (A12)

Restrictions:
-75% of the planes must wait in ground until enemy contact by airborne security patrol OR ground warning (flashing field)
-25% of the planes may takeoff freely as airborne security patrol, but they must stay inside 25 mile radius (Yellow Box) of the Lae field (A12) until enemy contact.
-No refuel / replane
-Do not fly out of the map boundary

Victory points:
P39 - 15pts (see the note below!)
A6M2 - 10 pts
Hangers - 10 pts
Ammo - 5 pts
Barracks - 5 pts
Fuel - 5 pts
Field Gun - 2 pts

Notes:
Axis players gain 15 points per every allied P39 that does not successfully land at A10. This reflects the harsh jungle conditions and the hostile nature of the theater of operations. Disconnections are also counted and they simulate mechanical failures.
The hosting CM can easily obtain the axis P39 scores from the logs by subtracting the number of landed from pilots in the allied overall stats.

Offline Grape

• Nickel Member
      • http://promoteitright.com/Site/82nd/
Re: Wed Snapshot (Rhthym of the Cobra) 9/17/08
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 02:46:21 AM »
Why so late, 10PM EST is Midnight where I am at :cry I really want to do this one but I have to be at work at 0450 :frown: I really enjoyed the last Snapshot I was in even though I did some really NOOBISH things... :o I am still not clear on the definition of a "death" in the Snapshot. Am I considered dead if I bail or ditch? Last time I after I bailed I clicked to take off again, thinking I would not be able to. In that Snapshot we were allowed 2 lives and I had already been "killed" once. I did not realize that the game would let me keep upping and I thought it was a glitch. Then Hornet told me to auger :confused: So what is it, one life to live or one plane to fly?
This is a test

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 03:12:30 AM »
Generally, Snapshots are 'one life' events with multiple frames.

I don't happen to see a start time for this event, where did you read 10pm-12am est?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 04:26:37 AM »
Man, those zekes probably got slaughtered.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Grape

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 06:27:53 AM »
On the calender it said 10PM EST
This is a test

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 10:46:17 AM »
On the calender it said 10PM EST

If you are in Texas then wouldn't it be 8pm your time?

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline hornet36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 10:50:44 AM »
10pm EST is the start time for wed snapshots...there is one on thurs at 3pm EST which may be better suited for your time frame...as far as upping after the start i generally leave fields open for a few min to allow for disco's and ones who show up late.then i will close them..there are a few events which will allow multiple lives so alot depends on the honor system...also,and this is just MHO but after 20-30 min the fight is usually on,with some dying and wanting to get back into the fight..by the time they got back over to the fight most of the survivors would be rtb..out of ammo..shot up..etc..so it wouldn't be fair for some to come with fresh planes and get an easy kill...

Offline Grape

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 04:50:54 PM »
You are right, I was making the earth spin the wrong way in my mind... It is 8PM
This is a test