Author Topic: Oil, $91.15 per barrel,get it while its hot!  (Read 1086 times)

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
Re: Oil, $91.15 per barrel,get it while its hot!
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2008, 04:18:51 PM »
What you would see is an increase again as we are told retooling for the straight blend will cost more to go back to. Even if it doesnt.
Fact is no matter what Oil costs, the cherry has been broken and the price of Gas is going to stay as high as it can be kept.
Market, supply or demand be damned

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 04:48:28 PM »
Take a look at the price of Gold and other commodities in the last month...  Falling like a stone.  That often means a strengthening dollar as fewer investors hedge against the dollar by buying commodities futures.  Gold dropped 15ish percent just in the last month as oil dropped over 30%, which tells me that some of the drop in oil prices is due to a strengthening dollar.

Or not... I didn't sleep in a holiday inn express last night so there is a chance I could be wrong :)

Thanks for the info eagl, interesting(not sarcasm), but how does it disprove the fact the dollar is not stronger than the euro?  Maybe I misread it, maybe he meant the dollar is stronger this week than before, not more than the euro.

Confusedly yours,

Mensa
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 05:29:10 PM »
Thanks for the info eagl, interesting(not sarcasm), but how does it disprove the fact the dollar is not stronger than the euro?  Maybe I misread it, maybe he meant the dollar is stronger this week than before, not more than the euro.

Confusedly yours,

Mensa

I did not intend to imply that the dollar was stronger than the euro, only that it had strengthened recently and that will have a lot of implications.  Oil will be cheaper, but that will lead some oil producers to tighten supply.  The price of gold and other commodities initially dropped as expected, but then some commodities, such as gold, rebounded as they are seen as a save haven in times of economic fluctuation no matter how strong the dollar is.

And on top of that is the fact that oil prices were inflated by up to 50% due to out of control speculation on oil futures as a hedge against future demand and continued dollar weakness.  So the price of oil drops to where it *should* be (near $100/bbl before the dollar strengthens, a bit less than that if the dollar improves) but other prices remain high as investors look for ways to mitigate losses in the US stock market and keep their assets from going poof when their retard bank "invests" in bundled sub-prime mortgages that have no real value.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2008, 10:19:49 PM »
I did not intend to imply that the dollar was stronger than the euro, only that it had strengthened recently and that will have a lot of implications.  Oil will be cheaper, but that will lead some oil producers to tighten supply.  The price of gold and other commodities initially dropped as expected, but then some commodities, such as gold, rebounded as they are seen as a save haven in times of economic fluctuation no matter how strong the dollar is.

And on top of that is the fact that oil prices were inflated by up to 50% due to out of control speculation on oil futures as a hedge against future demand and continued dollar weakness.  So the price of oil drops to where it *should* be (near $100/bbl before the dollar strengthens, a bit less than that if the dollar improves) but other prices remain high as investors look for ways to mitigate losses in the US stock market and keep their assets from going poof when their retard bank "invests" in bundled sub-prime mortgages that have no real value.

2 p.m. -- The House Foreign Affairs Committee convenes a hearing called, "Exporting Toxic Trash: Are We Dumping Our Electronic Waste on Poorer Countries?"
http://www.propublica.org/article/coming-this-week-0915/

This meeting could have a big effect on the gold and the rest of the precious metals market...
Hedge fund managers will be listening closely
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."