Author Topic: A-26 Invader  (Read 9049 times)

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
Re: A-26 Invader
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2008, 05:43:28 PM »
I voted for the A26 all the way through when we could vote.  I figured it would be in the game by now because it did so well in the vote.  So with that said...give me the A26 and free the 14!

Just out of interest...what is the 14?  :o
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2008, 06:07:08 PM »
The problem with a lot of the requests is the minimal value outside scenario's. The Betty and the 111 probably lead the pack in that aspect. The Judy would be a much more widely used plane in the MA and have strong scenario/FSO value as well. I'd love to see the A-26 modeled (and its probably inevitable at some point). The big problem in the "perk bomber" catagory is the fact that there isnt one. No other nation had any truly competitive bombers to the US and the B-29 has no real place in a tactical game. The argument for the Pe-2 would be speed but the ki-67 is a better combination of speed and defensive firepower. If the Peggy isnt perked how would you perk the Pe-2.

Realistically the A-26 is one of the few possible options for a "perk" bomber. However you could provide historical load outs for the A-20 that would fill the same niche. The simple reality is that you actually have very few planes left to model that will have a major impact on the game, the G.55 easily being the #1 candidate with the Me-410 and A-26 probably next.

*** at edit ***
The possible exception here is the Tu-2, it's got speed, bomb load and 2 x 20mm wing mounted cannon. No clue what actual performance ammo load out etc is with external stores....but it might be a good alternative to the A-26 as well.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 06:13:30 PM by humble »

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2008, 06:10:03 PM »
Just out of interest...what is the 14?  :o
Spitfire MkXIV. It should be unperked.

Offline TwinEng

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2008, 06:29:57 AM »
I voted for the A26 all the way through when we could vote.  I figured it would be in the game by now because it did so well in the vote.  So with that said...give me the A26 and free the 14!

The A-26 was also available in the original "Air Warrior" game.   It was a most popular plane to fly in Air Warrior.

Buff pilots really do need to have another perk option.  Heck, even GV'er have 3 perk options now available to them.   And look at all of the perked fighter aircraft that are available.

This really is an imbalance that exists in the game.   And the best way to fix it, would be to bring back in the A-26 Invader to the game.

If they do, I would really like to see the version that we had back in Air Warrior, with the 8 .50 caliber gun nose.   That model had two columns of 4 .50's in the nose.

If you have never seen what this looks like, here is a photo of a beautifully restored A-26, that shows off the nose guns very well:

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 06:53:03 AM by TwinEng »

Offline TwinEng

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2008, 06:37:40 AM »
Here is another great view of the 8 gun nose package on an Invader:

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2008, 09:27:53 AM »
I would love to see more Ground attack AC's "TANK BUSTERS"!!    :salute

Yeah exactly what we need, another plane that some clown can up with the sole purpose of ruining a running tank battle.  That said I am all in favor of it being added but with a goodly perk price. 

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2008, 11:03:10 AM »
Stop with the perk thing because the A26 is not that good.  It is better than the A20 in some ways but it shouldn't be perked.  It's more of an attack AC anyway so I will die alot.
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2008, 02:46:54 PM »
Stop with the perk thing because the A26 is not that good.  It is better than the A20 in some ways but it shouldn't be perked.  It's more of an attack AC anyway so I will die alot.

Well, compared to other bombers it will be very good, which IMO is a reason for it being perked (if and when we get it).

Also, just because it's an attack plane doesn't mean you're going to get killed a lot in it.

<S>

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2008, 02:50:25 PM »
IIRC, couldn't the plane go like 380 mph? It's been a while since I've read up on the A-26. Actually, like 5 or 6 years.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »
Specifications (A-26B):
    Engines: Two 2000hp Pratt & Whitney R-2800-79 radial piston engines
    Weight: Empty 22,370 lbs., Maximum Takeoff 35,000 lbs.
    Wing Span: 70ft. 0in.
    Length: 50ft. 9in.
    Height: 18ft. 6in.
    Performance:
        Maximum Speed at 15,000 ft: 355 mph
        Ceiling: 22,100 ft
        Range: 1,400 miles
    Armament:
        Six 12.7mm (0.5 in.) machine guns in nose
        Two 12.7mm (0.5 in.) machine guns each in ventral and dorsal turrets
        6000 lbs. of bombs
        Eight 127mm (5-inch) rockets
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2008, 04:08:44 PM »
Specifications (A-26B):
    Engines: Two 2000hp Pratt & Whitney R-2800-79 radial piston engines
    Weight: Empty 22,370 lbs., Maximum Takeoff 35,000 lbs.
    Wing Span: 70ft. 0in.
    Length: 50ft. 9in.
    Height: 18ft. 6in.
    Performance:
        Maximum Speed at 15,000 ft: 355 mph
        Ceiling: 22,100 ft
        Range: 1,400 miles
    Armament:
        Six 12.7mm (0.5 in.) machine guns in nose
        Two 12.7mm (0.5 in.) machine guns each in ventral and dorsal turrets
        6000 lbs. of bombs
        Eight 127mm (5-inch) rockets
No need for it.
Fear and death in the wings, in thrall of those fallen from grace
Petty is as petty does, witness the mass disgrace.

Offline SoonerMP

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2008, 05:42:17 PM »

S.A.P.P. Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Blame Karaya 2008-2012       Death From Above - MA (inactive)

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2008, 05:52:39 PM »
No need for you.
Yes there is. More axis planes then A-26 only fair.
Fear and death in the wings, in thrall of those fallen from grace
Petty is as petty does, witness the mass disgrace.

Offline TwinEng

• Copper Member
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2008, 07:50:16 PM »
Yes there is. More axis planes then A-26 only fair.

This has nothing to do with fairness.   It has to do with balance within the game.  You are totally missing the point that is being argued here.

Bomber pilots have only the Arado 234 to spend their perk points on.   The Invader would be a much more versatile and useful tool than the Arado.

This is clearly discrimination against Bomber pilots.   Unfortunately, we are not a protected class under Federal Civil Rights laws, so we cannot sue over this discrimination.    All we can do is cry about how unappreciated we are:  :cry   :cry   :cry

I guess I will just have to keep flying my Marauders.

I sure loved flying the Invader back in the old Air Warrior days, though.........

Offline macerxgp

• Copper Member
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2008, 07:53:38 PM »

This has nothing to do with fairness.   It has to do with balance within the game.  You are totally missing the point that is being argued here.

Bomber pilots have only the Arado 234 to spend their perk points on.   The Invader would be a much more versatile and useful tool than the Arado.

This is clearly discrimination against Bomber pilots.   Unfortunately, we are not a protected class under Federal Civil Rights laws, so we cannot sue over this discrimination.    All we can do is cry about how unappreciated we are:  :cry   :cry   :cry

I guess I will just have to keep flying my Marauders.

I sure loved flying the Invader back in the old Air Warrior days, though.........

The only thing that this plane has to contend with in the wish list is the HE-111. How could that be prejudice twords bombers?
Quote from: Saurdaukar
Operational kettles in August 2009 exceed operational pots by approximately 142%.

Your comparison is invalid.

DeMaskus
357th-Death Dragons