Author Topic: How to fly like an idiot  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: How to fly like an idiot
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 05:26:26 PM »
did you post any that you got shot down in?

Does such a film exist?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 05:30:55 PM »
Bat:

Look, no disrespect, but his needs to be put in perspective.

Every time you post a film, it is based on not only as Anax pointed out, usually a lack of gunnery and throttle control on the opponent's part, but an almost supernatural ability at gunnery on your part.

It ain't gonna happen for most people most of the time. Not the overshoot part, practically every furball involves using an overshoot to defend yourself at one point or the other, but turning that overshoot into a kill against a plane that has energy on you a large percentage of the time-ain't happening for most people most of the time. I say this as someone who has conservatively spent 5-6 hours a week practicing gunnery ALONE for the last two years. So kudos to you on your mastery of a incredibly difficult stunt, but advising the average AH pilot to fly a K-4 beneath the crowd and shoot whatever runs in and overshoots him is a bit like advising the average schmuck in a self-defense course to walk into a biker bar, start trouble, and take down his attackers with head-kicks.

:rolleyes:

On this note, we might as well cancel all youth sports and prepare to shut down the majors.

Sheeesh, it's bad enough so many horses won't drink without people telling them it's poison.  So what?  You die?  So does Batfink.  So does Dedalos, Skyrock, Creton, Shane, and everyone else.  They die all the time.  Who cares?  Go try new things.  Die a lot, have fun, aspire to improve.  Get your butt kicked, and try it again.  Look at this game like a sport, ask the better players for help...  They're so starved for good fights they'll fall over themselves giving it to people who actually truly want it.

Not only is winning not everything...  When it comes to Aces High, it's not anything.  The day someone gets the girl or a cool million bucks for winning a fight in here, I'll eat my shoe, but until then all that matters is whether or not you're having fun in the process...  And I guarantee you the 10,000 times Batfink's died he's had a ball.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 07:09:55 PM »
Ok, but I didn't mean to detract from bat's films.  Although they portray an idealized version of how we want things to happen when we're defending, that's no reason to go after him.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 07:11:40 PM »
I am NOT going after Batfink...if thinking someone has an uncanny ability in this game counts as "going after someone"....sheesh...

Look, Vudak, its like boxing. Certain basic truisms "keep your hands up, never lead with the right" etc and so forth are taught, not because they are universally 100% true, but because they are true often enough for most. Sometimes an Ali-type (Batfink) can throw all these rules away, succeed, and look good doing it, but most if they try to EXACTLY imitate Ali's style, will end up spitting out teeth.

So it goes with this... As tutorial on defending oneself from a bnz attack in a pinch...great. What else are you going to do, let go of the stick and just die if a plane is diving in fast enough to catch you? As a way to constantly fly in the AH MA (at an energy disadvantage against superior numbers of more maneuverable a/c) and get regular kills (nessecary for the average human who doesn't want to end up throwing a boot through the screen eventually), not going to happen. It is somewhat hypocritical to have whole websites expounding the basic ACM "truisms", then have posts on the BBS about how you CAN break all these rules and succeed and are in fact a miserable pudknocker if you DON'T.

"And I guarantee you the 10,000 times Batfink's died he's had a ball."

If I didn't love to kill and HATE to get shot down then killing and getting away with it would have no sweetness, and why would I play?

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 07:31:21 PM »
I am NOT going after Batfink...if thinking someone has an uncanny ability in this game counts as "going after someone"....sheesh...

Look, Vudak, its like boxing. Certain basic truisms "keep your hands up, never lead with the right" etc and so forth are taught, not because they are universally 100% true, but because they are true often enough for most. Sometimes an Ali-type (Batfink) can throw all these rules away, succeed, and look good doing it, but most if they try to EXACTLY imitate Ali's style, will end up spitting out teeth.

So it goes with this... As tutorial on defending oneself from a bnz attack in a pinch...great. What else are you going to do, let go of the stick and just die if a plane is diving in fast enough to catch you? As a way to constantly fly in the AH MA (at an energy disadvantage against superior numbers of more maneuverable a/c) and get regular kills (nessecary for the average human who doesn't want to end up throwing a boot through the screen eventually), not going to happen. It is somewhat hypocritical to have whole websites expounding the basic ACM "truisms", then have posts on the BBS about how you CAN break all these rules and succeed and are in fact a miserable pudknocker if you DON'T.

The tutorials, articles, and heavily-"fight to live"-biased books like In Pursuit are aimed at helping a fresh legs rookie have a fair chance for having success so they don't immediately give up.  They are not designed for people looking for greater challenges.  At some point, people look for more, and films like Batfink's give them an idea of what to try.

If I didn't love to kill and HATE to get shot down then killing and getting away with it would have no sweetness, and why would I play?

Let's just leave it at this: You and I obviously have extremely different values...
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 08:04:51 PM »
did you post any that you got shot down in?

Does such a film exist?

ack-ack

here i found another good one.

this 109k4 pilot owned my mosquito in about 2 seconds.

http://www.freeroleentertainment.com/11kownme.ahf

yes, pay attention.  :D

no one is going after me. we can dispute points peacefully.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 08:09:06 PM »

no one is going after me.
I am, u twit! :furious

:noid

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 08:13:43 PM »
*slaps 013598 with wet fish*

It is somewhat hypocritical to have whole websites expounding the basic ACM "truisms", then have posts on the BBS about how you CAN break all these rules and succeed and are in fact a miserable pudknocker if you DON'T.

thats the problem see, no one cares if you dont want to challenge yourself or learn new tricks. I honestly dont look down on any approach to this game a person wants to take.

So why is it that whenever someone does post some crazy moves a whole group of people gets offended without anyone insulting anything?

Cant deny that my title says how to fly like an idiot and the films cough up the goods.

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 08:16:49 PM »

It's important that you get shot down. In fact it is absoultely a crucial element to the very "sweetness" you mention. I'm not looking for an argument so please take a second to consider the following before you answer: If you NEVER lost, NEVER got shot down, what sweetness would victory hold?  Winning every time would quickly lose its joy.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 08:46:05 PM »
If you NEVER lost, NEVER got shot down,

-Then I would probably find it so addictive I would play 16 hours a day...

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 08:49:20 PM »

Blasphemy, it was 031598  :furious

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 09:15:52 PM »
I'll show you flying like an idiot. I make stupid flying an art form.
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 11:04:36 PM »
-Then I would probably find it so addictive I would play 16 hours a day...

Sure for a while.. til it got boring..Success without competition is unfulfilling.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2008, 11:15:24 PM »
Mech: Its not really you man. Its of other things, people talking about the wickedness of bnz'ing, when what they are in fact referring to is OPHAing...people talking about he wickedness of fighter XYZ for running and picking when in fact in my experience, most kills in complex engagements are some form of pick, and I have had every fighter that CAN run from me do so, and others that can't do it long enough to drag me to friends or a freakin' flak, etc...

As for posting your videos, you do have a wonderful talent, and if you want to show it off a bit, I have absolutely no problem with that, I'm not one of those people who believe the talented are supposed to cultivate some kind of exaggerated humility.

thats the problem see, no one cares if you dont want to challenge yourself or learn new tricks. I honestly dont look down on any approach to this game a person wants to take.

So why is it that whenever someone does post some crazy moves a whole group of people gets offended without anyone insulting anything?

Cant deny that my title says how to fly like an idiot and the films cough up the goods.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2008, 11:42:53 PM »

As for posting your videos, you do have a wonderful talent, and if you want to show it off a bit, I have absolutely no problem with that, I'm not one of those people who believe the talented are supposed to cultivate some kind of exaggerated humility.

Given that you post this (and refer to him as "Mech"), I take it that you've yet to have the pleasure of getting to know Batfink :)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group