Author Topic: The FW-190 series is the most poorly flown plane in the game  (Read 7413 times)

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
The FW-190 series is the most poorly flown plane in the game
« on: September 18, 2008, 12:26:40 AM »
Ok.  In my opinion, the 190, all of them but especially the 190A8, is the most poorly flown plane in the game.

I am NOT a 190 guru.  In fact I don't even consider myself fair in them.  My skill in the 190 lies somewhere between the Hellcat and the P-38.  But, about a year ago I did a 'tour' in the 190A5 and I found it to be a capable plane in the MA.  I wasn't spectacular, but it can hold its own if you take the time to fly it.  A very memorable fight was when I ended up on the deck with a pair of P-47D40's on my 6.  These guys were just chewing me up, bit by bit.  Somehow, by utilizing the awesome roll rate to just keep jinking, and taking alot of 50 cal, I was able to evade maybe 2-3 hard minutes until a friendly swiped them both off.

Anyway, the 190 seems to be a 1 trick pony (pun intended) in the MA anymore.  Or maybe always.  Maybe I just never noticed.  I seem to catch nearly every 190A8 I've ever seen doing one of two things; occasionally both for variety.  They will either:
1.  Pork the radar (suicide optional); then the 1a. plan would be to reverse and shoot anything and everything on the field over and over until caught, pinned, and killed (or suicided).
2.  Vulch.  Plain and simple.  Run down the runway, reverse, do it again, reverse, and so on until caught, pinned, and killed...suicide is the 2a. plan.

Now, there is a variant.  This is the 'astro-190' (tm).  This guy comes in at high alt (high being whatever is higher than everyone else).  He sits, looks for a pick (or bnz if you will).  After his run, he might reposition and try again.  More likely, someone is going to force him down.  Then he's going to:
1.  Go to the deck and run. 
1a.  Go to the deck and run, but then at D400 he's going to bury the stick left/right and start rolling uncontrollably (we don't need no stinking controlled flight here).

2.  Go to the deck, run to my field and then proceed to any of the options above.

3.  Go to the deck and then HO anything and everything he sees until he is caught, pinned, and killed.  Ram is optional.

In and of itself, it doesn't bother me all that much.  I don't see the fun in that, but it's not my $15.  So why post?  Because the 190 is a nice plane.  I mean, it's a really nice plane.  It's capable.  I've been pwned by guys like Dedalos and Storch and Trukill in them enough to know that it can outfly someone in a Spit (like me).  I suppose it takes some finesse to fly well, but it's not the hardest plane in the set to fly.  That honor goes to the P-38.

It makes me sad that so many folks don't take the time to learn the plane and, instead, use it in these ways.  The 190 was a capable and feared plane in WW2 and, in this game, it's a cannon platform for the suicide porker, vulch dweeb, and general lamer.  The plane is better than that.  Folks should take the time to realize this.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:29:43 AM by toonces3 »
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
Re: The FW-190 series is the most poorly flown plane in the game
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 12:38:25 AM »
:lol:
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 12:47:16 AM »
long whine?
Pannono
Proud Member of Pigs On The Wing
8 Player H2H: 2006-07
MA Tours: 87, 97-113, 143-144, 160-Present
FSO: JG54

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 12:55:34 AM »
Dude(s), this isn't a whine. 

Read it again.  I'm not whining.  I don't care if folks fly this way...why would I?  But I think the plane is so much more capable than the way it is used in the game by the majority of people.

Kinda like the whole runstang thing, but instead of running, people take there 190 and do ^ that stuff with it.

But if you insist this is a whine, then:

The collision model sucks
The scoring system is broken
The ENY system is porked
The big maps suck
The small maps are boring
HO'ing is lame but they did it WW2 so it's a valid tactic but it takes two to HO but anyone can avoid a HO and I love it when someone tries to HO me because they're lame and I can get right on their six and shoot them down because they're a noob and they're trying so hard to HO me that I'm looking two moves ahead at how I'm going to shoot them down and drink their beer so I HO anyone that gets in front of me because if they're in my gunsights then it's their fault but if you HO someone then you don't have any ACM skills and what is a HO anyway is it a shot when both guys can shoot each other or is it a front quarter shot and what if both guys are head on and can shoot but then one guy moves off-nose and the other guys shoots him is that a HO because see then that first guy couldn't shoot so it wasn't a HO it was a front quarter shot so then it wasn't a HO but that's just semantics isn't it?

Ok, I think I covered everything.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 01:31:33 AM »
Toonces where ya been man you've been doing a lot of typing and not a lot of flying, my .f toonces3 comes up blank every time.

By the way this:

HO'ing is lame but they did it WW2 so it's a valid tactic but it takes two to HO but anyone can avoid a HO and I love it when someone tries to HO me because they're lame and I can get right on their six and shoot them down because they're a noob and they're trying so hard to HO me that I'm looking two moves ahead at how I'm going to shoot them down and drink their beer so I HO anyone that gets in front of me because if they're in my gunsights then it's their fault but if you HO someone then you don't have any ACM skills and what is a HO anyway is it a shot when both guys can shoot each other or is it a front quarter shot and what if both guys are head on and can shoot but then one guy moves off-nose and the other guys shoots him is that a HO because see then that first guy couldn't shoot so it wasn't a HO it was a front quarter shot so then it wasn't a HO but that's just semantics isn't it?

is not only an ultimate truism, but it even happens in that exact order every time. lol!

As for the 190's. I think you summed it up, and you know that people's behavior won't likely change. Flying the 190 successfully requires the patience and skill to continually keep it operating within its optimum flight envelope. Not much fun, or very rewarding, for those who want to kill quickly and sloppily. Conversely, you can take a Spit out of its flight envelope, mail the envelope to Jakarta without a return address, and still land with 6 kills.

Have to disagree with you though about 190's being the most poorly flown plane in the game. Lately the P-51 flying I've encountered has just been regrettable.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 03:32:51 AM »
Same goes for every plane in the game... ESPECIALLY the 262. 98% of the time I see a 262 its a dweeb. 97.9% of the time a Temp has a dweeb at the stick. Everytime I see a perk plane I push the attack because I figure I owe it to the guy to prove he earned those perks. If he loses them he will only work harder to get more... or it will be a long hard path of learning. If everyone did that there would be fewer dweebs in the uber rides but most of the time its noobs in a conga line chasing a con they cant catch.

As to your theory about 190 pilots... some of the best sticks I have seen using them always resort to the ailerons as if thats a magic answer for every situation. I just slow down and stay behind them and get close and shoot them. Usually they make it easy to do that.

There are a few guys that can make the 190 work. Most of the smart ones dont get into situations where they are alone and lower then other planes because that leads to getting killed. Same for most airplanes.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 03:36:48 AM »
just because you aint met a good 190 stick.

i mean im average but my squadies laugh at my 190 flying antics... cos i dive into furballs as if im in a turn fighter, fly around like a turn fighter and generally end up ganged but sometimes i get lucky bag alot of kills and get home lol. rarely am i timid.
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 04:25:29 AM »
I am not any good in any of the 190's for dogfighting or BnZ, or any of the other things mentioned here, so I don't do them.  However, in the scenario Der Grose Schlag, I flew the 190A-8 as a bomber interceptor and had top kills in the A-8 for the scenario.  With 2x 30mm and 2x 20mm cannons, oodles of ammo, this puppy shreds big buffs in about 3/4 of a second.
If you're not having to chasing after them, or having to get to high altitude quickly, this is a good plane to get yourself up high and go hunting at leisure.  It's a great buff killer when there's lots of targets around.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 05:37:30 AM »
 :lol
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline Odisseo

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 05:44:34 AM »

Rolling Plane Set

..and anyone will have to fly all planes

greetz!
Save Swiss Milk, drink Beer!

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 09:14:14 AM »
Imo, the worst flown plane in the game is the N1k.  The P-51 gets second place honors.  That's not to say that the 190 isn't near the top of the list, though.

Although I fly neither aircraft, I get a kick out of watching N1K and Typhy pilots HO each other.  Usually, both die, and then I hear one of them complaining about it on vox, as if all of their enemies are obliged not to challenge their 4x20mm.

Ok, as for the 190, notice that what you describe here is the exact same thing that you complain about later:

A very memorable fight was when I ended up on the deck with a pair of P-47D40's on my 6.  These guys were just chewing me up, bit by bit.  Somehow, by utilizing the awesome roll rate to just keep jinking, and taking alot of 50 cal, I was able to evade maybe 2-3 hard minutes until a friendly swiped them both off.

Go to the deck and run, but then at D400 he's going to bury the stick left/right and start rolling uncontrollably (we don't need no stinking controlled flight here).

...And typhoon pilots jink the elevator up and down when you get on their 6, P-38s like to do neg g turns in the horizontal, etc.

The 190 was a capable and feared plane in WW2 and, in this game, it's a cannon platform for the suicide porker, vulch dweeb, and general lamer.  The plane is better than that.  Folks should take the time to realize this.

The 190 was thought of more highly by the western allies than the Soviets.  The latter thought it was inferior to the "lean" 109.  The 190's fearsomeness in the west was largely due to the successful employment of hit-and-run tactics, i.e. boom and zoom and then run away when initial energy is used up.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 09:29:38 AM »
Rolling Plane Set

..and anyone will have to fly all planes

greetz!

RPS! :aok
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 09:40:28 AM »
Toons, the 190 is an interceptor, not a dog fighter.  It is provided in the game so that people would have an excuse for avoiding fights and blaming you for being in an easy mode plane (dog fighter) for their actions.

Sure the 190 was feared in WWII.  It was fast, it had guns, and what else would the allies be afraid of over Europe?  A6Ms?  No, 190s and 109s.  So, saying that the 190 was feared in WWII is meaningless.  I fear anything with guns.  Especially when it is faster than me.

The question is really then, why on earth would you pick to fly a plane that cannot put up a fight?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 09:40:45 AM »
Gee, I thought you were describing Jug or Pony pilots.  I guess in the end it's not about the plane at all but the people "piloting" them.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline LaFever

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 09:42:52 AM »
N1K, Spit, 51 all have horrible pilots generally. 190 is hard to fly but I've actually run into several good 190 drivers. BTW the P38 might lose the "toughest to fly" award- with the update the F6F with the non-existent 6 view is making a great bid  :cry