Author Topic: The FW-190 series is the most poorly flown plane in the game  (Read 7807 times)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: The FW-190 series is the most poorly flown plane in the game
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2008, 03:10:13 PM »
Er.... We're totally way off topic here, but it has EVERYthing to do with those. The entire POINT of an RPS is to roll out planes historically over a very compressed timeline as they would have in the real war. The planes that would have historically fought each other would be the ones engaging in combat. This yields both historic matchups AND (in theory) increased realism.

However, increased realism isn't always "fun" -- folks pining for an RPS generally seem (to me) not to have been around to witness its mediocrity from past failed attempts. One of those "Gee, that'd be cool!" moments without ever having seen first hand that it wasn't really all that cool.
You know how much it bugs me to agree with you.

I now need a shower. ;)
See Rule #4

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2008, 03:11:16 PM »

Exactly- the RPS was the beginning of the end for WB's.  It's a great idea, until you actually put it to practice.  I think Hitech nailed it on the head when he made the mid and early war arenas.
Yup, now to fatten up the early and mid plane set. :aok
See Rule #4

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2008, 03:17:36 PM »
Er.... We're totally way off topic here, but it has EVERYthing to do with those. The entire POINT of an RPS is to roll out planes historically over a very compressed timeline as they would have in the real war. The planes that would have historically fought each other would be the ones engaging in combat. This yields both historic matchups AND (in theory) increased realism.

However, increased realism isn't always "fun" -- folks pining for an RPS generally seem (to me) not to have been around to witness its mediocrity from past failed attempts. One of those "Gee, that'd be cool!" moments without ever having seen first hand that it wasn't really all that cool.

Hmmm, I seem to remember lots of 109E's fighting 109E's, and Spit1's fighting Spit1's.  Oh yeah, don't forget to add the A6M2 vs. the 110C.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2008, 03:20:13 PM »
Hmmm, I seem to remember lots of 109E's fighting 109E's, and Spit1's fighting Spit1's.  Oh yeah, don't forget to add the A6M2 vs. the 110C.
Bet you can see the same in EW arena. You wouldn't want to force people to play "your way" now would you?
See Rule #4

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2008, 03:24:58 PM »
No more than they do to me.  The EW arena is not viable because there's not enough people to get anything started, and it's full of toolshedders.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 03:26:36 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2008, 03:26:08 PM »
They suck because of the variety they offer?  I admit that AH would need a more robust early-war planeset to implement an RPS, but I loved it in WB.

Well, as has been shown repeatedly when RPS threads make a showing, the majority of the community is against the idea.  Also, anything that forces a player to fly something other than what they want is bad for business and ultimately for the community.  HiTech has posted quite a few times about his thoughts on having a RPS system an in my opinion, the fact that the creator of WB didn't add an RPS system into AH has made HTC's stance on this quite clear.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2008, 03:26:34 PM »
No more than they do to me.
Then we agree, no rolling plane set. :aok
See Rule #4

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2008, 03:27:29 PM »
Then we agree, no rolling plane set. :aok

True, I wouldn't want to force it on people who didn't want it.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline deth13

• Zinc Member
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2008, 03:33:36 PM »
Ok.  In my opinion, the 190, all of them but especially the 190A8, is the most poorly flown plane in the game.

I am NOT a 190 guru.  In fact I don't even consider myself fair in them.  My skill in the 190 lies somewhere between the Hellcat and the P-38.  But, about a year ago I did a 'tour' in the 190A5 and I found it to be a capable plane in the MA.  I wasn't spectacular, but it can hold its own if you take the time to fly it.  A very memorable fight was when I ended up on the deck with a pair of P-47D40's on my 6.  These guys were just chewing me up, bit by bit.  Somehow, by utilizing the awesome roll rate to just keep jinking, and taking alot of 50 cal, I was able to evade maybe 2-3 hard minutes until a friendly swiped them both off.

Anyway, the 190 seems to be a 1 trick pony (pun intended) in the MA anymore.  Or maybe always.  Maybe I just never noticed.  I seem to catch nearly every 190A8 I've ever seen doing one of two things; occasionally both for variety.  They will either:
1.  Pork the radar (suicide optional); then the 1a. plan would be to reverse and shoot anything and everything on the field over and over until caught, pinned, and killed (or suicided).
2.  Vulch.  Plain and simple.  Run down the runway, reverse, do it again, reverse, and so on until caught, pinned, and killed...suicide is the 2a. plan.

Now, there is a variant.  This is the 'astro-190' (tm).  This guy comes in at high alt (high being whatever is higher than everyone else).  He sits, looks for a pick (or bnz if you will).  After his run, he might reposition and try again.  More likely, someone is going to force him down.  Then he's going to:
1.  Go to the deck and run. 
1a.  Go to the deck and run, but then at D400 he's going to bury the stick left/right and start rolling uncontrollably (we don't need no stinking controlled flight here).

2.  Go to the deck, run to my field and then proceed to any of the options above.

3.  Go to the deck and then HO anything and everything he sees until he is caught, pinned, and killed.  Ram is optional.

In and of itself, it doesn't bother me all that much.  I don't see the fun in that, but it's not my $15.  So why post?  Because the 190 is a nice plane.  I mean, it's a really nice plane.  It's capable.  I've been pwned by guys like Dedalos and Storch and Trukill in them enough to know that it can outfly someone in a Spit (like me).  I suppose it takes some finesse to fly well, but it's not the hardest plane in the set to fly.  That honor goes to the P-38.

It makes me sad that so many folks don't take the time to learn the plane and, instead, use it in these ways.  The 190 was a capable and feared plane in WW2 and, in this game, it's a cannon platform for the suicide porker, vulch dweeb, and general lamer.  The plane is better than that.  Folks should take the time to realize this.

i fly Dora and A8, i NEVER pork, and i HATE vulchers.  i turn fight them, all the time. even my dora, and i dont like taking the time to grab alt. maybe 3-10 k at max. so just so you know before you say all 190 pilots are like that, im not. and i know a few other to.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »
I have never found that the 190A-8 is an 'Average' plane. The only thing good on it, is its armerment, and its roll rate. It is probably has the highest turn rate in the game, just becasue its very heavy. Lotta times I call it the flying tank, just because of the guns. It is absoultly one of the worst planes in the game, and good pilots in it, are few and far between.
I've lost my ways in it, because its just not a fun plane to fly. Only time I fly it now, is when I'm perk farming or vulching; perk farming. Most of the time when I see one fly, I immedietly think that its a noob in the plane, and its a quick reverse.
The game is hard to fly, so most of the good pilots don't fly it. Just that simple.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2008, 03:36:25 PM »
It's not in a turn fight, it's when they are bounced from above high 6 o'clock.

You either described the maneuver you're trying to explain incorrectly or you don't have a clue.  Please explain using a negative G turn as a defensive maneuver against being bounced by a high bogie on your six.  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2008, 03:59:57 PM »
He's barely touched a 190 in months. He's a lala dweeb these days, according to LWA stats.

So, now that you took the time to check my stats for a few months what do you say?  Pick the 190 of your choice and we go a few rounds in the DA?  After that, we can try some spits also (see how wet the paper bag is lol).  Should be easy no?  What could an easy mode LALA dweeb do to guy that flies 190s because they are hard to fly?

As you saw, no spits and no 190s for me.  Oh, no running though

What say you?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2008, 04:10:04 PM »
Its not like the 190 drivers can actually fight if they took up the easy mode spitfire now, is it?  They make it sound like they are bored since the other planes are easy to fly when in fact, they could not fight their way out of a wet paper bag if they were in a spit or niki

BS.
80% of what I run into in the MA wouldn't stand a snow-ball's chance in hell against me in a duel. It is vaguely surprising to run into someone who even knows how to merge in there. What they do know how to do is try the HO, blow past you, run/stick stir if you are even vaguely close to getting on their six, and gang-pick you when your back is turned as you slow down and commit to dogfighting something. But guess what? It works. This is not a whine, this is how it is. This is when a high-speed bnz plane begins to look attractive.

IMO, it is a wash. The ease of killing you get from something like a Spit's ability to turn, saddle, and kill with few problems is balanced by the ability to engage and disengage at will, which comes at the price of far, far greater difficulty of killing anything ("Picking" can be done in any plane, and for every time one gets an easy pick in a bnz plane, there will be 10 times where you either have to hit some ungodly deflection shot on a radically breaking target or get nothing.)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2008, 04:29:31 PM »
Dedalos is in a pissy mood for some reason and his posts in SEVERAL threads today have been the same combatitive almost-troll quality. I wouldn't read too much into anything he's typed today.

BnZ: As for your comment, you seem to imply the spit can't dictate the fight. A spit16 can dictate almost any fight unless the opponent has a SIGNIFICANT speed boost (i.e. came out of a dive and is doing 550mph). A spit16 can out run a 190a (either model), can out accelerate either, can climb like a 109K4 (still breaking 3000fpm past 10k with NO wep), can roll with a 190, can turn like a spit, and can insta-kill with a single hispano round.

You seem to think it's a balance. I fail to see any "balance" in that choice ;)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2008, 04:34:39 PM »
Knifefighting in a 190 is kind of like playing a game of Europa Universalis as a small German city state...  You won't get many chances, you do have to make the most of them, you have to carefully set yourself up for your moves with timing and angle, and you're likely to lose much more often than you win...

Some people in this world find those types of wins exhilarating, and others don't find the trouble to reach them worth it.  There's really not much else to it.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group