Author Topic: Which other planes are due for an F6F window adjustment?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Schlowy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Which other planes are due for an F6F window adjustment?
« on: September 19, 2008, 06:56:05 PM »
The question everyones afraid to ask!
I bet ya could lose some friends if ya put yer buddies plane on this list! No more check 6's! We're talking serious stuff here!
Some of us probly going like this... :uhoh <-- considering their back window!  :rofl

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 06:59:59 PM by Schlowy »
if the BoB is proof the spitty was better, then the Battle of Dieppe is proof the 109 was better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieppe_Raid
Shane said in game 'oh the nazi kid' referring to me...
Lynx got in it saying 'yawn' and then calling me 'tw@' again...
I got chat

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Which other planes are due for an F6F window adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 07:23:25 PM »
190s except D9 and 152.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:04:58 PM »
Which planes should have it?  It isn't a matter of being punitive, it is a realism issue.  The F6F didn't have a bubble canopy like the P-51D or Fw190s and it didn't have a bulged canopy like the Spitfires and P-51B.  It is kinda stuck where it is due to being a razor back fighter without those features.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 09:52:36 PM »
This reminds me of a question I had about the F4U's; why can you look so far around the backplate?  It is kind of like you are sticking your head out of the cockpit.  If your looking out of the left-rear of the cockpit with your view as far out as it goes, you can see stuff on the left side of the rudder.  Does this seem weird to anyone else?  Having seen F4U cockpits, it doesn't seem like this should be possible.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 10:08:50 PM »
Even in a bubble canopy the views are still too generous. I went for a flight in a CJ6 last week and it has an almost entirely unrestricted canopy with no armour at all. Just the fact that you're strapped in and in a tight space means that you can't get the sort of visibility you can in AH. The 'straight-back' look shouldn't be possible in AH. At best, you should be able to see the rear section of aircraft out of the corner of your eye and that's it.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 10:10:38 PM »
190s except D9 and 152.

The difference would be noticable, but small. The different canopy style did not flare out that much.
Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 10:21:48 PM »
This reminds me of a question I had about the F4U's; why can you look so far around the backplate?  It is kind of like you are sticking your head out of the cockpit.  If your looking out of the left-rear of the cockpit with your view as far out as it goes, you can see stuff on the left side of the rudder.  Does this seem weird to anyone else?  Having seen F4U cockpits, it doesn't seem like this should be possible.

Bingo. I was amazed at the views being so much better on the F4U as opposed to the F6F. I seriously doubt you could see that well behind you. Now the Hellcat rear views are even worse. I think they should be changed back. Many things in this game are concessions to playability. No doubt much work was involved in the updating of the F6F. It would be a shame if it loses popularity because of the views.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 11:48:22 PM »
    I wont be flying it much. Seems the past few plane updates have involved alot of iron work, and minor adjustment abilities. So minor, it almost doesnt matter.

~AoM~

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 01:37:58 AM »
Even though it's one of my most used planes I haven't tried the "new" F6F yet.  I hope it's not as bad as everyone says.

I don't think trading playability for relalism is a good trade-off if it's as bad as it sounds.  What's next?  No rear views?  No way to turn your head around?  Everyone always has a blind six?  That would be more realistic.  That will be fun.   :rolleyes:
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 01:48:05 AM »
F6what?
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 03:00:37 AM »
There are a couple open cockpit days coming up at the New England Air Museum...  They have an F4U and an F6F...  If I end up going I'll be the only guy taking pictures of the six view :)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 03:13:19 AM »
Why would every aircraft have a blind 6? If an aircraft was infamous for poor vision, then so be it. It pains me to say it but the 109 is probably a little generous in its rear quarter views... Though that probably makes up for the overly restrictive forward canopy framing.... The IL2 shouldn't be the only aircraft to suffer from historically poor visibilty.
Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 03:16:06 AM »
Vudak, make sure you keep your body pressed into the seat when you do that. Our pilot views are waayyyy to mobile, in my opinion.
Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 03:25:08 AM »
There are a couple open cockpit days coming up at the New England Air Museum...  They have an F4U and an F6F...  If I end up going I'll be the only guy taking pictures of the six view :)

Vudak, they don't open up the F6 for the open cockpit day.

They open the P47, the F4U4, the F100, the F14, and the Huey, but not the F6 or the B25H.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 03:31:10 AM »
In that case, I suggest the F6 pilots of AH begin to pool a bribe fund in order to get vudak and his camera in that cockpit.
Raw Prawns
Australia