Author Topic: Your thoughts on the Typhoon?  (Read 3846 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Your thoughts on the Typhoon?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 10:51:04 AM »
Range is pretty limited.  100% internal is only 27min.  So it pays well to manage your throttle and RPM's to get more air time.

My only "Beef" is dead stick it fallls out of the sky like a brick.  It does not glide at all.  The only other plane that glides this badly is the zeke.  Otherwise it's fun to fly.

yup droppies and fuel management are essential. cant agree though, it glides great - just make sure you're doing 250ish level before the engine dies (to give it time to settle into the glide), nose down ~500fpm, shift-x, rpms to min and it will go a surpising distance. try it with any +tive AOA at 200 and you will drop like a rock though :(
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 10:53:31 AM »
I have 2 pointers for you.

1) In rolls, you MUST use full rudder, hell, anything in that needs rudder basically.

2) If you get HO'd, pull sideways and use 2 guns on their engine... taught a couple chogs yesterday that although they got 4 20mm's... The hispano's pack a bit more of a punch.
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 10:53:39 AM »
4 20-'s, tons of rounds, all ya need is 1 ping

Yep, I have it on film where single hit separates the whole horizontal stabilizer from a fresh Seafire.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 12:29:04 PM »
wep mangagment is key too. The one ping theory works only at convergence though as the rounds lose their standard impact further out (of course )

*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 12:32:44 PM »
I have 2 pointers for you.

1) In rolls, you MUST use full rudder, hell, anything in that needs rudder basically.

2) If you get HO'd, pull sideways and use 2 guns on their engine... taught a couple chogs yesterday that although they got 4 20mm's... The hispano's pack a bit more of a punch.

Ummm, the C-hog's cannons are the equivalent of the Hispano, if I'm not mistaken.

From wikipedia:
In April 1942 a copy of the British Mk.II was sent to the U.S. for comparison, the British version used a slightly shorter chamber and did not have the same problems as the U.S. version of the cannon. The U.S. declined to modify the chamber of their version, but nevertheless made other modifications to create the no-more-reliable M2. By late 1942 the USAAC had 40 million rounds of ammunition stored, but the guns remained unsuitable. The U.S. Navy had been trying to go all-cannon throughout the war, but the conversion never occurred. As late as December 1945 the Army's Chief of Ordnance was still attempting to complete additional changes to the design to allow it to enter service.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 12:34:43 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2008, 02:38:31 PM »
Yep, I have it on film where single hit separates the whole horizontal stabilizer from a fresh Seafire.
I wouldn't use any hit on any Spitfire as a talking point there.  The Spitfire is the most fragile aircraft in the game, and probably will be until we get a Ki-43.  The A6M may catch fire more easily, but it seems to be structurally more resilient in other ways.

Anaxogoras,

Correct.  The US M2 20mm cannon is a Hispano Mk II 20mm cannon.  We adopted the same 20mm cannon of French origin that the British did.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 02:40:18 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 02:50:58 PM »
One Hizooka round will blow the tail off of any fighter in the game.  I've had it happen to me, and I've done it to enough people over the past 7 years. 

One round will remove the vertical stabilizer, or both horizontal ones.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 03:30:58 PM »
One Hizooka round will blow the tail off of any fighter in the game.  I've had it happen to me, and I've done it to enough people over the past 7 years. 

One round will remove the vertical stabilizer, or both horizontal ones.
Bf110G-2 takes two Hispano hits to lose the tail.  Mosquito Mk VI takes three.

I am pretty sure there are others, but those are the ones I have tested.

I have seen a photo of a Ju88 brought down by a single Hispano hit to the tailcone.  It jammed or broke the control connections on the elevators.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline TIMMY

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 06:50:30 PM »

agreed
the huge rudder on the typh is a big plus for  throwing it around for snapshots

i consider the typhoon as a plane you have to manhandle to get the best from but dont  go to far

stall limiter makes a big difference you can really throw it around
just dont get too rough with the stall limiter off cause it will depart controlled flight in the most violent way
oTIMMYo --flying wasted since tour 84
Time is not wasted if your wasted all the time
its better to see the devil than wonder where he is

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 11:33:49 PM »
POS

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 09:46:20 AM »
Thanks for all the responses guys. Lots of good info in here. Last night I had a good time in the Typhoon. I had lots of success in it. Again thanks for the pointers.  :rock :salute
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 11:30:09 AM »
one last thing beau32....

TYPH IS MY PLANE! GIT UR OWN! :)
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 11:58:10 AM »
I have my own. Its just funny it looks like yours :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 03:07:43 PM »
one last thing beau32....

TYPH IS MY PLANE! GIT UR OWN! :)

Err actually tiffie is my plane, I was raping squeakers with it when you were still in preschool ;)

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 09:48:44 PM »
Err actually tiffie is my plane, I was raping squeakers with it when you were still in preschool ;)

yeah well...that maybe so however i have never faught u in it and would b happy to some time! i love good fights in the tiff! if your on and i'm logged in give me a shout sometime! would b fun to see where i stack up on the typhoon pilot skills :)
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!