Author Topic: The Daily Show or the Colbert Report  (Read 536 times)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
The Daily Show or the Colbert Report
« on: September 20, 2008, 03:50:06 AM »
So which one do you like better the Daily Show or the Colbert Report? I think John Stewart is great and love the Daily Show but Colbert Show is just pure genius, I think he's edged his old boss off of the top spot.

I'm catching up with the episodes from this week and this one has to be one of the best in a while..

http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/full-episodes/index.jhtml?episodeId=185056
"strafing"

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Re: The Daily Show or the Colbert Report
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 05:28:28 AM »
Colbert has his moments of genius, but I still prefer the Daily Show.  Relies on the absurdity of the news for humor rather than the absurdity of the Colbert character.  And the interviews are usually better; Colbert's interviews are good but a lot of great guest appearances are diminished by him trying to stay in character rather than ask good questions and make good points. 

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 08:35:58 AM »
Daily show, hands down!!
 tho i don't agree with John Stewart at all, i have watched the Daily show since before he was on it!
 i will give him credit tho for his interview with Tony Blair, i don't think he new just how smart Blair was, but he kept his cool.
 best part of the show was
Blair- "we have elections for 4 weeks, you Americans have them for what ,, 4 years i think"
i also really try hard to get the channel changed before Colbert comes on, Leno comes on about that same time and i would much rather watch someone who is at least almost funny. :aok
Flying since tour 71.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:00:23 AM »
with jon "make a funny face" stewart..  are you talking when he has his writers or when they are on strike?

Does anyone really watch those guys anymore?

lazs

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 09:10:03 AM »
I go back and forth.  For comic gags, I think Colbert is better.  "The Word" and "Threat Down" always draw me in, even if I don't watch the rest of the show (the interview).  Stewart does a wonderful job at exposing the hypocrisy and idiocy of washington politics and especially the tools at fox news and other 24 hour media outlets, and in this respect his show is better because it reminds me that I'm not the only one who feels that way about the big, corporate/party oligarchy running the country.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 09:35:41 AM »
wow.. when I watch it I realize how silly it is to let entertainers run the country..

lazs

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 09:40:53 AM »
Does anyone really watch those guys anymore?

You mean other than you?

wow.. when I watch it I realize how silly it is to let entertainers run the country..
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 09:44:20 AM »
so myelo.. would you say that people watch it like me?   like 10 seconds or so every other month?

lazs

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 09:58:46 AM »
I choose not to watch smug extrahunks pretend to be intelligent, so I watch neither show.  Same reason I don't like Obama.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 11:10:20 AM »
The Daily show is okay passes off its liberal agenda left and right.  I vote conservative and I much prefer the comedic talents of Colbert by a grand margin.  I do like Stewart from time to time, but he reminds me of a giggles Bill Maher too much.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 11:17:14 AM »
I like both shows.  I especially like the Colbert character.  I do, however, see Jon Stewart slowly slipping into the crybaby tree-hugging persona that Bill Marr has become.  When "Politically Incorrect" first came on I loved it but I watched it slowly become the opposite of what the title implied.  I can't even stant the sound of Marr's voice now.

Watching Stewart give election details in 04 was a telling tale.  As the night progressed and it obviously wasn't going his way, he became visibly angry to the point of almost calling Americans stupid for their choices.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 11:19:15 AM »
Colbert, by a large margin.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 11:30:18 AM »
Jon Stewart at least used to apply satire to both parties, but lately he's degenerated into turning his entire show into trying to criticize anything remotely conservative or republican.  It used to be funny because his political attacks would comprise maybe 5 minutes of his show at most, but now it's like 20 min of liberal blathering and 2 minutes of a guest who then takes his turn complaining about Pres Bush.  Boring.

Colbert used to be funnier especially with him pretending to be hard-core conservative even though he's just as liberal as Stewart, but his show has also degenerated into a liberal complain and attack-fest.  He barely pays lip-service to his schtik about pretending to be a conservative before he starts going after real conservatives and any republican that has grabbed his attention.

Another thing that has been disappointing with those two shows - they used to find stuff that the mainstream media had missed, and brought it up to discuss it and poke fun at anything ludicrous.  Now, they seem to mostly just continue whatever the mainstream media is talking about except they make mean jokes about it.

It used to be funny but it's nothing but a liberal complainfest now.  Even Limbaugh is more interesting now because at least he tries to be original and to find stuff that is mostly below the radar.  And Limbaugh has the guts to criticize his own party based on his principles instead of just pick pick picking on one person show after show.  He mixes it up from show to show, and that's far more entertaining than the same old same old you get from Stewart.

The day I quit watching both the daily show and the colbert report was only a few weeks ago...  I tuned in about 5 minutes into the daily show and got 20 minutes into the show before I realized it was a re-run.  Stewart is such a broken record (repeating himself every show) that I simply couldn't tell the re-runs from the new shows.  Colbert was the same, saying in one sentence "hey I"m a conservative!" and the next sentence repeating some stale joke about Cheney shooting someone from his underground bunker.  Stale.  Boring.

Watch for a week or two, and you'll probably see the same thing - they jumped the shark about 3 months ago when they decided to become vocal critics of one side of this year's presidential election.  It's not comedy, it's a daily political attack ad.

Last note - Jon has become increasingly bitter this year.  Look closely at his facial expressions and listen to the tone of his voice.  He really is bitter and angry.  Not funny anymore.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 11:39:26 AM »
I've noticed that Stewart has gotten a lot more 'angry', and even Colbert isn't as good as he used to be, but I'm hoping that's mostly because of the elections.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 11:44:36 AM »
I've noticed that Stewart has gotten a lot more 'angry', and even Colbert isn't as good as he used to be, but I'm hoping that's mostly because of the elections.

I think the elections are just bringing out their true nature and the biases of their writers/producers.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.