Author Topic: Killshooter: An idea that is outdated.  (Read 548 times)

Offline vega

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bombergroup.com
Killshooter: An idea that is outdated.
« on: December 22, 2001, 01:42:00 PM »
We all know the reason that HiTech put killshooter into operation in WarBirds and carried it into Aces High.  Yes, there was, and still could be, a problem with immature and irresponsible freaks just blasting their own guys for the simple fun of creating havoc in the game.  No doubt these individuals are still around.

But we don't need killshooter to eliminate the problem.  We already have messages coming up in our faces about profanity and too much stick wiggling.  The same technology could send a similar warning to someone (and eventually throw them off) if they persist in shooting up their own side.

One of our guys spent nearly a month getting 200 perk pts. to fly the Me262.  He finally goes out and flys the jet, but just as he squeezes the trigger somebody tries to steal his kill and pops down in front of him.....causing his 262 to be destroyed by killshooter.  This, to me, is patently wrong.  If anyone deserved to be a victim of friendly fire, it was this kill-vulcher.  Friendly fire is a fact of war; look at recent news from Afghanistan.  

We say get rid of killshooter and solve the problem with the msg and boot system used for profanity, etc.  Then the game is more realistic and prevents the stealing of kills that are continuing, unchecked.  

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2001, 02:26:00 PM »
First, if someone "popped down in front of a 262"... the 262 pilot was definately doing something wrong.

Secondly... you take a single incident... or even a few indidents and use it as a reason to do away with a system that prevents several thousand incidents.

AKDejaVu

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2001, 03:53:00 PM »
why don't we have the one that TFC uses? ie. when you shoot a friendly, no damage is applied to the shooter, or the person taking hits

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2001, 06:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by BenDover:
why don't we have the one that TFC uses? ie. when you shoot a friendly, no damage is applied to the shooter, or the person taking hits

Because then every dweeb out there will try to steal your kill by spraying wildly all around you, just as you finally get a firing solution on a bandit that you chased down from 20K.

If you want to have everyone able to blast away with impunity, that is exactly what they will be doing. NO THANKS!

There is nothing I hate more than seeing 5 sets of tracers go flying past me as I am trying to shot down an enemy plane.

Offline DA98

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2001, 08:53:00 PM »
Because then every dweeb out there will try to steal your kill by spraying wildly all around you, just as you finally get a firing solution on a bandit that you chased down from 20K.

Make it that when you hit a friendly, you can't shoot for 10 seconds. No more spraying dweebs shooting over your shoulder, no more accidental deaths... any drawback?

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2001, 08:56:00 PM »
if someone "popped down in front of a 262"... the 262 pilot was definately doing something wrong.
Obviously not, any diving plane, another 262, etc.
Vega, agree 100% with you. IMO, actual kill shooter is one of the worst features present in AH. A possible "fix" to the problem would be empying the shooting plane ammo. That is, you hit a friend, your ammo counter drops to 0 with no other effect.

Offline DA98

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2001, 09:05:00 PM »
Heh Mando, te gané por 3 minutos  ;)

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2001, 12:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by vega:
We all know the reason that HiTech put killshooter into operation ........ No doubt these individuals are still around.

One of our guys spent nearly a month getting 200 perk pts. to fly the Me262.  He finally goes out and flys the jet, but just as he squeezes the trigger somebody tries to steal his kill and pops down in front of him.....causing his 262 to be destroyed by killshooter.  This, to me, is patently wrong.  [/IMG]

And just what is going to be gained by making it easy for some bozo to kill your 200 perk point plane and only risk getting a
WARNING   :rolleyes:

At least you have control over your own trigger.  In the entire time Ive flown AH (since the beta mind you), I've killed myself a max of 10 times with killshooter, and half of those times where about a year ago when there was an entire squad of morons that would park their GVs in enemy hangers.

Sure its not perfect, but it prevents:

A dweeb killing his countryman because he is ignorant a dildo or both

Bozo firing through you, near you, whatever, making you lose the con your saddled up on because you have to check 6 to see if them tracers are NME

Endless flames, whines and squeaking

Offline Blindman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2001, 06:43:00 AM »
How much fun would AH be if killshooter was off and a dweeb was in a field ack while an enemy raid was inbound, someone who wanted to stop furballers from furballing or furballers who couldn't wait to go to an enemy field.

There was a cartoon about killshooter on this BBS some time back that explained why killshooter was on very well. (can' find it yet but looking still)
Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2001, 07:04:00 AM »
Been flying AH for about a year and I killed myself twice with kill-shooter. The last time this happened I was shooting a con with a hovering friendly in between and I knew the risk very well I was taking.

Broes

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2001, 10:49:00 AM »
The killshooter feature works nicely as it is.

Should be a serious penalty for blasting carelessly into friendly planes.

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2001, 02:12:00 PM »
While I understand the reasoning behind killshooter, I cannot agree with its affects. Lately, it has happened to me over several days, and three times in one afternoon. It is a royal pain in the arse, especially when I turn out to be the victim. There are dweebs who think nothing of flying directly of you when you are on an nmez tail firing away. These guys do not respond after you die either; they knew exactly what they were doing and didnt get the short end of it. It is not ALWAYS due to spraying and praying when a person gets shot down due to killshooter. Somehow the person who causes this to happen ought to be penalized, and not just the one who gets blown up.
The argument that every dweeb then will go hogwild and shoot countrymen down can also be applied here. What is to prevent dweebs from diving down and flying in front of another to steal a kill knowing that killshooter will affect the other guy? IMO, it can and ought to be adjusted.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2001, 02:32:00 PM »
Both you and 98 mention good options. Which means they'll be ignored, undoubtedly.  ;)

Originally posted by MANDOBLE:

Vega, agree 100% with you. IMO, actual kill shooter is one of the worst features present in AH. A possible "fix" to the problem would be emptying the shooting plane's ammo. That is, if you hit a friend your ammo counter drops to 0 with no other effect.

Originally posted by DA98:

Make it that when you hit a friendly you can't shoot for 10 seconds. No more spraying dweebs shooting over your shoulder, no more accidental deaths... any drawback?

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2001, 06:42:00 PM »
So tell me again how that solves anything at all Arlo...

Then we would have to put up with constant whines about a guy flying in front of you and keeping you from shooting a con.  This would be just as bad as kill stealing.  For example, you see a friendly chasing a con, you swoop in front of said friendly taking fire from said friendly.  Said friendly will be forced to stop shooting or will have all his ammo taken.  You are then free to shoot down the con without worrying about your buddy that you just swooped in front of killing himself with killshooter.  

What exactly does this solve?

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2001, 08:46:00 PM »
Having problems with killshooter?  Start working on your SA.  You should NEVER be so focussed on a kill that you don't check your six.  If you are doing so you will see the friendly that is swooping in to steal your kill.  What do you do then?  Ease off the trigger and wait for the dweeb to miss his pass and then you can finish off your kill at your leisure.

I have only died from KS once when I took a front quarter shot at an enemy being chased by a squaddy.  I knew he was there but I still took the shot, missed the con and nailed my squaddy, sending me down in flames.  I have no problem with that, my fault for missing my shot.

Killshooter is the best compromise I think we will see.  Look around you once in a while when saddled up on a bad guy and you won't suffer from it.  I have regularly flown within feet of other friendlies when taking shots and not had problems...