Author Topic: Comcast's New Plan  (Read 801 times)

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Comcast's New Plan
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2008, 08:27:50 AM »

My dsl service says they will simply not sell more than they can handle , isn't that the best way to manage traffic ?

That's great if you're one of those that they choose to serve.  How do you get on that list?  Is it first come, first served?  Or is it all in who you know or how much you're willing to pay?  If you're new to the area do you have to wait for someone to die to get DSL?

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2008, 08:55:40 AM »
That's great if you're one of those that they choose to serve.  How do you get on that list?  Is it first come, first served?  Or is it all in who you know or how much you're willing to pay?  If you're new to the area do you have to wait for someone to die to get DSL?
I feel for you bro . Fortunately for me and others in my area centel is updating their system all the time .

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2008, 09:24:27 AM »
What we have here is the economy of scale working against the consumer.

Comcast has spent the last few years acquiring new customers the Wall Street way, by buying them. Now that the well of prospective buyout targets is running dry the emphasis is to maximize customer loyalty. The easy way to do that is to get them by the proverbial gonads. A customer that has all of their data services under contract and with one single provider is less likely to migrate due to any one service deficiency.

Comcast's new focus is to get as many if not all of their subscribers signed up for Internet, T.V. and Voice service. They may not have a problem now but unless they make the hard choice and start beefing up infrastructure (never a profitable short term solution) they are going to run out of capacity somewhere along the line.

AT&T is another that comes to mind, maybe even Cox but I haven't used them for decades.

The thing is, they have a backbone that was designed for delivering a fairly modest bandwidth, like DSL and the market requires much, much more.

At least they're not in the cellular business.

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »
I hate comedycast....Time weeener is even worse. I know there are those that have the same feelings about Verizon but at least they invested in our infrastructure to the tune of 48B nationwide for FIOS. We are opening up new markets every week.
I just got my service upgraded to 20/5 mps for at  charge ( it was 15/2)
Hopefully those who are stuck with cable providers will soon have a choice. I know we sighned  bigtoeracts for the 5 burroghs in NYC, and several smaller communities.
we are currently foing out of market (installing in AT&T's area) in N. Texas as a pilot program to prove that it is viable. Once the execs see that it is then we will start going out of market in other area's.
Verizon aint perfect tho. we are currently working to improve our cust service centers. to decrease hold times and improve various other issues that custs. have complained about.
Recently they added a new intranet feature for us techs to contact the Directors office ddirectly with "urgent service issues" in a effort to resolve cust issues
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2008, 10:36:27 AM »
I've never had any problems with comcast, not with service, appointments, billing or anything.

This is only going to affect people who are constantly streaming movies and other high-bandwith stuff.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 10:58:08 AM »
Comcast Cable is $40 a month for us, DSL connection through Earthlink was $50 a month. Who is your DSL connection through?

Qwest
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 11:15:30 AM »
So Skuzzy do you have any idea whats the average bandwidth used for say an hour of Aces High is?

One hour of AH:

It will vary a bit depends on usage ie arena, number of players in range, etc, but numbers in graph are what I normally get (3.5-4.5MB), which at 24/7 play would make 100MB or less per day in average...

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2008, 03:07:50 PM »
My dsl service says they will simply not sell more than they can handle , isn't that the best way to manage traffic ?

Yeah right. I doubt your DSL provider could handle every subscriber going at it at full speed. Worth the maths, a smallish ISP might have 50000 dsl sub's, if they average 5Mbps download speeds then that ISP would require 250Gbps pipe.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2008, 04:02:56 PM »
One hour of AH:
(Image removed from quote.)

It will vary a bit depends on usage ie arena, number of players in range, etc, but numbers in graph are what I normally get (3.5-4.5MB), which at 24/7 play would make 100MB or less per day in average...

Cool info, and not too far from what Skuzzy suggested (2.2 GB divided by 720 hours in a 30 day month = ~3 MB hour). 
I'm just amazed that so much data can be passed back and forth at such a rate: ~50 KB a minute with ~30 frames a seconds, zillions of planes, bullets, etc.  Wow, just wow!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2008, 04:05:30 PM »
The amount will vary, of course.  I drew that from an average of a few hundred players at different times of the day.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com