Author Topic: David Letterman speaks the truth..  (Read 4609 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Re: David Letterman speaks the truth..
« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2008, 09:46:04 AM »
The fact McCain had to cancel his campaign rather than let her run it, just raises more questions about her.

That right there is your biggest fallacy in this whole thread. You are assuming that McCain had to cancel his campaign rather than let Palin run it, and didn't simply choose to do so for reasons he has yet to make public. Personally, instead of jumping to conclusions and saying this is just another reason to dislike Palin, I think I'll wait to see how it all pans out.

Btw, he didn't cancel his Presidential campaign, he merely suspended it until this financial crisis is resolved. Canceling it says he is done, suspending it means it is just on hold and I think we both know which one it is.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2008, 09:50:07 AM »
Nothing stops the Democratic process.  Nothing.

When the Iran Hostage mess was going on, a sitting U.S. president did not stop the debates from happening.  When the U.S.S. Cole lay with her side gashed, thos debates still went on.  But, I guess money is more important to you guys than those lives.... so lets just suspend the campaigns now.

You're idiots if you think the debate should be cancelled.  It is a tenant of democracy.

This financial crisis is far bigger than anything you have mentioned. To my knowledge, no one is talking about canceling the debates, merely postponing them.
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2008, 09:53:01 AM »
Sure, it's the old used car salesman pitch.

But the idea that they went to war in two weeks is BS. The old "Axis of Evil" speech was Jan/02. Evil Boosh went to the UN Sep/02 asking for action against Iraq. Then they did the inspections dance right up until the invasion, all the while chewing over what to do in the UN, the Congress and the media. Congress authorized the invasion in Oct 02 (I think) and we invaded Mar/03.  

You're looking at over a year of "act right now" wrt to Iraq.

Right now the hype is we have to act before next Monday, 9/29 or the wheels come off the world economy and we are cast into the pit of everlasting hellfire.

This bailout frenzy really started with Fannie and Freddie on Sep 7th. Paulson didn't even propose a bailout plan until the 20th.

I think it's probably safe to take just a wee bit more time and discuss a few more options. Like maybe some stuff that benefits Joe Average Taxpayer and Joan Average Homeowner more than it benefits Ritchie Rich. There's more than one way to restore liquidity to the markets.

There have been several links to such plans on this BBS.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: September 26, 2008, 09:54:17 AM »
The deal is done...

http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/25/news/economy/deal_reached/index.htm?postversion=2008092513

Does this mean McCain still won't debate on Friday or what will his excuse be next?

The deal is hardly done. This link was 17 minutes old when I found it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080926/ap_on_bi_ge/financial_meltdown

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2008, 10:07:37 AM »
Bill Clinton is now showing support for McCain letting the campaign wait and doing what he should be doing.This is getting better all the time. :aok

:lol

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2008, 10:17:58 AM »
moray.. you should have done a little research as usual...

Mccain basically said that this was a mess and needed the people hired to clean it up to be on the job..

Osamabinbiden said it was no big deal.. could be multitasked and.. in any case.. it would all be settled waaaay before the debates.

It wasn't just reading three pages and voting yes or no (or "present in your boys case) it is turning out to be more than a 24 hour deal..  the senators who are paid to be senators need to do their job.

When someone multi tasks.. that does not mean ignore the big things so that you can work on what is important to you.

It does not mean "what is important for me is important for the country"  It means "country first" and doing your job.

It seems that osamabinbiden is saying "the end justifies the means"   He feels that Anything that gets him elected is really worth screwing over anything including the entire economy of the country..  for an hour long scripted debate when.. they have been talking at us for 3 damn years already.

What the hell kind of priorities and leadership is that?

lazs

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2008, 10:19:55 AM »
That right there is your biggest fallacy in this whole thread. You are assuming that McCain had to cancel his campaign rather than let Palin run it, and didn't simply choose to do so for reasons he has yet to make public. Personally, instead of jumping to conclusions and saying this is just another reason to dislike Palin, I think I'll wait to see how it all pans out.

Btw, he didn't cancel his Presidential campaign, he merely suspended it until this financial crisis is resolved. Canceling it says he is done, suspending it means it is just on hold and I think we both know which one it is.

When you are running for public office, especially the highest office in the nation.. Nothing your campaign does is a private matter, even your health condition is a a public concern. Besides that there is no question why he suspended his campaign, it's not some unknown personal secret that he hasn't told us, he said the reason.

He suspended it to go to DC, he has openly stated this. Which means he should have been able to depend on Palin to step it up a notch rather than have to suspend his campaign.. IMO it was nothing more than a political move that equates to grasping at straws, by trying to claim he was so worried that he had to stop his own campaign for the public interest. That's the exact angle he's shooting for with this. He is playing politics with a so called national crisis.

Think about this.. The woman who will possibly be the next VP and could even be president has given 3 interviews to the press. Don't you think we the people deserve a bit more than that? After all it is us who pays their salary if they get elected, so I'd say they owe.. yes I said owe, us the debates.

There isn't anything McCain or Obama is going to do to change what happens for the better with this bill. Either way it's going to get passed or it wont, McCain isn't going to toss out fairy dust and save the day with Conservative Republicans that already don't like him, so he just needs to get his butt in gear and do what he agreed to do, for the American people and that's show up at the debate.
"strafing"

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2008, 10:36:15 AM »
  The debate is on for tonight so there ya go.A debate on foreign policy where Mac will rip Osama Allah Acktard a new ass.Then you liberal weinies will be bawling about why hes not in DC working on the Economy which is way more important than his personal ambitions. :rolleyes:
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2008, 10:44:23 AM »
Toad,
I never said the timelines were the same...stop with that.

I stated, and you agree, the M.O. is the same and that is using iminent threat, and act quickly or the world will end rhetoric.

As for not debating tonight...

I think they should hold the debates....the debate couldn't be more timely.

I think its a BS excuse by McCain (and I was a McCain supporter back in 2000).  He's had a year to take interest in leadership in this (just look for Jim Cramer's rant from August of 2007).

All both McCain and Obama are doing during this "crisis negotiation" is photo-op stuff.

Let's here NOW, from the two candidates looking to run this mess about their options.  What better time than tonight during a pre-scheduled debate.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2008, 10:52:47 AM »
My point is, and I assume yours is, that there is time to hash this out and make sure the taxpayer doesn't get screwed. That the taxpayer should actually get something out of this and Ritchie Rich should be happy to get out of it with his skin on.

Debates should absolutely go forward. But let's see them under pressure. Can the foreign policy topic they've been prepping for all week and hold a sit-down-at-a-table discussion on the economy and the Wall Street problem. 45 minutes of questions from the moderator, 45 minutes of questions posed by members of the audience and/or internet submittals.

Let's see 'em when they are not all shampooed, primped and pampered for the dog and pony show. Let's see them as they are going to act when stuff like this pops up on the radar screen. It's not like they haven't had time to think about the bailout and have a sense of what they would do.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2008, 10:55:56 AM »
My point is, and I assume yours is, that there is time to hash this out and make sure the taxpayer doesn't get screwed. That the taxpayer should actually get something out of this and Ritchie Rich should be happy to get out of it with his skin on.

Debates should absolutely go forward. But let's see them under pressure. Can the foreign policy topic they've been prepping for all week and hold a sit-down-at-a-table discussion on the economy and the Wall Street problem. 45 minutes of questions from the moderator, 45 minutes of questions posed by members of the audience and/or internet submittals.

Let's see 'em when they are not all shampooed, primped and pampered for the dog and pony show. Let's see them as they are going to act when stuff like this pops up on the radar screen. It's not like they haven't had time to think about the bailout and have a sense of what they would do.
Im all for this idea.What better op to see what each has going on in his head than an situation still up for grabs.This wont just show the options each has but what kinds of people they have behind then helping with policy.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2008, 10:58:09 AM »
Think about this.. The woman who will possibly be the next VP and could even be president has given 3 interviews to the press. Don't you think we the people deserve a bit more than that? After all it is us who pays their salary if they get elected, so I'd say they owe.. yes I said owe, us the debates.

Who cares? Seriously.....McCain statistically has something like an 85% chance to survive his 4 year term as President (assuming he wins the election). It simply isn't a big enough issue for me to worry about. Why you do is beyond me.

When you are running for public office, especially the highest office in the nation.. Nothing your campaign does is a private matter, even your health condition is a a public concern. Besides that there is no question why he suspended his campaign, it's not some unknown personal secret that he hasn't told us, he said the reason.

He suspended it to go to DC, he has openly stated this. Which means he should have been able to depend on Palin to step it up a notch rather than have to suspend his campaign.. IMO it was nothing more than a political move that equates to grasping at straws, by trying to claim he was so worried that he had to stop his own campaign for the public interest. That's the exact angle he's shooting for with this. He is playing politics with a so called national crisis.

You misunderstood what I was saying I think. I was implying that McCain may have chosen to not give us a reason for just letting Palin run the campaign while he went to Washington. Hope this clears that up.

I'm sure there is plenty that goes on behind closed doors during a campaign that is private and will remain so for a very long time.

There isn't anything McCain or Obama is going to do to change what happens for the better with this bill.

That is nothing more than an assumption on your part. Either or both of them can stand up and assume the position of a leader and lead their respective parties to a bipartisan agreement on this issue. Will either one of them do such a thing? I think McCain is headed in the right direction on that. Obama's *they will call me if they need me* position is just lame. Get in there and make things happen!

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2008, 11:11:36 AM »
Yes, Toad, we agree on the point.  And on the premise to hold the scheduled debate and move the topic to "its the economy, stupid".

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2008, 12:25:42 PM »
Who cares? Seriously.....McCain statistically has something like an 85% chance to survive his 4 year term as President (assuming he wins the election). It simply isn't a big enough issue for me to worry about. Why you do is beyond me.

You misunderstood what I was saying I think. I was implying that McCain may have chosen to not give us a reason for just letting Palin run the campaign while he went to Washington. Hope this clears that up.

I'm sure there is plenty that goes on behind closed doors during a campaign that is private and will remain so for a very long time.

That is nothing more than an assumption on your part. Either or both of them can stand up and assume the position of a leader and lead their respective parties to a bipartisan agreement on this issue. Will either one of them do such a thing? I think McCain is headed in the right direction on that. Obama's *they will call me if they need me* position is just lame. Get in there and make things happen!

Given the damage Cheney was able to do as vice president, I damn sure care who the VP is.
"strafing"

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2008, 12:44:38 PM »

That's better odds than I'd give Obama with Hillary chomping at the bit for the job.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.