Author Topic: Suggestion on Gun Zoom  (Read 143 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Suggestion on Gun Zoom
« on: December 30, 2001, 04:48:00 AM »
Some planes have gunsights real small, and on these planes, the general problem seems to be the distance between the pilot's head position and the gun sight. On these sort of planes (especially something like the Yak-9U), when you have a historic sight, using the gun zoom isn't enough, u have to manually push the upward arrow key to get it zoomed up to your taste.

The suggestion?

Please let it be possible so you can set and adjust the zoom levels independantly from the "move head forward" arrow key. I know you can always zoom in, press the upward arrow key, and press F10 to save the head position. The problem is, when u save it at this position, when you return to normal field of view, the "normal" state is also affected by the previous head movement.

Please make it possible so that u can zoom the absolute maximum on the gun zoom if you wish, but can retain the "normal" field of view when u leave zoom status.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Suggestion on Gun Zoom
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2001, 09:13:00 AM »
There's two forward views; the default one (when you let go of the hat), and manualy pressing KB 8. They can be adjusted independantly. For instance, while my default Mossie forward view is reasonably standard (up a bit and forward a bit, but nothing radical), I've set the KP8 view at max forward and max up so facilitate scanning the ground for trains and trucks while in level flight.

I think that's the sort of thing you're looking for? You just need to assign a joystick button directly to the 8 key.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Suggestion on Gun Zoom
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2001, 04:03:00 PM »
Also, you can control the degree of zoom with the [ and ] keys by default I think.  So when you press your key to go into "zoom view", you can then adjust the level of zoom to something you are comfortable with.

I do this in addition to the two forward views.  Check out this article I wrote about the view system if you want to customize it a bit more for your own use:  http://lephturn.webhop.net/views.htm

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Suggestion on Gun Zoom
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2001, 11:44:00 PM »
Thx for the feedback guys, but I'm requesting for specifically gun zoom that is independant from the normal field of view. This is because I already use the second forward view via hat key forward as something else. I set it with a "peer on the side of the plane" view, using the left arrow key and maximum "move head up", which helps a lot in lead following the plane when it is not visible from the normal cockpit view  :)