Author Topic: Paintball  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: Paintball
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 10:05:31 PM »
Was into it heavy back in the 90s. My first gun was a Bushmaster pump, then I got an Illustrator semi, a year after that I bought an Automag.  We always played in the woods or at a large paintball field outside Tucson that had a village and bunkers. Now all I ever see people playing is what we called speedball back in my day. Guys use as much paint in a 10 minute game as we used to use in a day.

Of course the old school guys that started the sport with Nelson markers used to say the same thing about us. :lol

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline zoozoo

• Silver Member
      • http://myspace.com/zachisbackforasnack
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 07:08:48 AM »
my prize possetions

Zoozoo
Jokers Jokers
zoozoo fighter ace issue one:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,240022.0.html

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 12:48:06 PM »
my prize possetions

Nice zoozoo!!! i try to stay kinda cheap. but my A-5 is a great gun and have had some real good times with it. Same with the vest, it is light weight and can carry a crapload of pods as well as add on's. I recently joined a Scenario Team so i will probaly end up upgrading my barrel to a Flatline or something else.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 12:50:03 PM by Selino631 »
OEF 11-12

Offline Private Burns

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 04:46:02 PM »
zoozoo absolutely beastly x-7 :O

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 08:54:40 PM »
I have the typical Tippmann 98 Custom, absolutely stock.  It does what I want it too, spray paint everywhere.  Honestly I've had awesome games going against people with tricked out markers vs my plain old Tippy.  When I used to play back home it was strictly woodsball in a 300 yard field.  6 or so people each time on a , a thousand or 2 thousand rounds per person, couple tanks of CO2 and we'd go crazy for 5 or 6 hours.  Most fields in Colorado require you to use their balls and their air which usually just about doubles the price and halfs the playing time unless you really conserve.

Used to have a reball field too.  Indoors, little rubber balls so that you can reuse them plus free air refills.

exact same thing here...speed ball by a pond in the woods and woodsball in the rest of the woods.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 09:38:35 PM »
My Gun

My gun with the 12" "Freak Barrel" on it. (8" barrel below)

I currently have:

1 - 3000 psi No2 tank
3 - 20 Oz Co2 tank
1 - 9 oz Co2 tank

but I'm thinking of getting a 5000 psi No2 tank to go along with the other No2 (I get about 500 shots before I need to refill my No2. I'm also going to try and find a new buttstock so I can look down the iron sights with my mask on, and try and find a good red-dot sight (maybe  :) ). I'm also going to see if I can find a APEX or FLATLINE barrel to replace my freak barrel. I just don't know which is better yet. My friend has a APEX and that seems to be great, but I have yet to see a FLATLINE in action yet.

I'm also thinking about taking up Airsoft just for fun since it's cheaper.
----------------------------

Oh, btw. Does anyone know what Paintball Magazine might have covered the Castle Conquest at EMR last Saturday? There was someone there taking pictures saying they were for a Paintball Magazine, but he didn't say which one. I'm wondering because I may be in it!  :D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:42:34 PM by Latrobe »

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 02:33:43 AM »
Thought about the flatline system but the price and a few people's words made me decide against it.  From what I've heard, small adjustments can completely throw off your ability to shoot anywhere accurate.

I never got the purpose of the dropdowns or whatever they're called on ZooZoo's guns.  Anyone care to explain?
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 08:05:47 AM »
It looks to me like the guns you see in the stores today are not as powerful as those pistols were.  The sport got safer when it went more mainstream.  Maybe I'm wrong.

It depends on what those guns were. A small handful of paintball guns used blasting caps to hurl BB sized paintballs at a retarded velocity.

If they were Splatmaster Pistols, the single most common early era pistol, they used a 12gram. The velocity is normally around 270fps, which is just short of the common 280fps field limit. So, not particularly powerful in any respect.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 08:06:57 AM »
Thought about the flatline system but the price and a few people's words made me decide against it.  From what I've heard, small adjustments can completely throw off your ability to shoot anywhere accurate.

I never got the purpose of the dropdowns or whatever they're called on ZooZoo's guns.  Anyone care to explain?

Marketing gimmick. If it was really worth it, they wouldn't make non-flatline guns anymore.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 09:52:17 AM »
IMO the spray and pray game isn't nearly as fun as it was back when we all had cheap markers.  Granted I'm in my 30s now so if you're a young kid, feel free to ignore my opinion, its what I probably would have done.

First, any indoor paintball facility sucks.  Don't even bother, and I don't care where it is or how they claim to have made their facility "better".  Find some empty woods, get permission to use it, make sure its not hunting season so you don't get shot for real, and you'll have more fun for much less money than any indoor place, even if you factor in buying extra tanks so you don't run out of CO2 or Air, and having to ref the games yourself.

Second, when the people you play with start upgrading from Spiders and Tippmans (or whatever is low to mid end now) to Mags and Cockers (or whatever is high end now), that's the first sign that you should consider getting everyone to buy one cheap pump (or an expensive pump if they want).  If you and your friends are taking on the expensive of a high end marker, you can afford an extra marker low end marker at this point, and what will surprise you is that the pump-only games you play will be more fun.  A side bonus is that you'll save on paint.

Now if you take a pump to a semi-auto game, you're going to get smoked.  Some pump players say with enough skill you can keep up or excel, but I know I never got to that point lol.  You really need to get everyone to put down the semis for a game or two, just for fun.  Hopefully they won't whine too much and will realize the awesomeness of less firepower and more strategy and agility.

If you're a more casual player, don't buy a high end marker or you're going to regret having spent $1000 on a marker that spends most weekends collecting dust (as mine does).  When you actually get to play, you won't even remember how to maintain it properly and it'll work poorer than a cheap gun.  If I had to do it again, I'd never have bought my custom autococker and I'd have gotten a tippman with that long-shooting gimick thing, whatever it was called.  My marker would have been great if I played every other weekend, but I got older and interested in other things, and now its a waste of money.

I am proud of my CCI Phantom though, wish I could find some people that would play pump around here.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 09:57:40 AM »
Boiler, check out what's available for the most recent prices.

Guns that perform like $1300 Angels are now < $300.

Paintball has gotten way, way cheaper.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 10:07:19 AM »
all the proliferation to rapid fire guns has cheapened the sport. the more you spend on the gun, the faster you can shoot which gives a distinct advantage to those individuals willing ar able to spend more.

I think single shot is the only truly competitive way to play.

I've been playing for close to 15 years. I have a Tippmann A-5 and a Tippman Prolite.

For me, the Prolite is still my most reliable piece of hardware. And I have no issue wasting guys carrying Auto noodles or Angels. If you are like me and don't care what the other guy is carrying because if he's dolled up like a blue marble - he just likes to dress nice. Doesn't mean he can play worth a damn other then hiding behind a Dorrito. Either way, you gotta put balls on target.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 11:00:53 AM »
Boiler, check out what's available for the most recent prices.

Guns that perform like $1300 Angels are now < $300.

Paintball has gotten way, way cheaper.

That's pretty cool, I haven't played in 2 years and its been 5 since I researched my most recent marker, so I didn't know that.  Even so, throwing lines of paint at someone behind a bunker gets old compared to pump-gun woods ball.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 11:12:22 AM »
That's pretty cool, I haven't played in 2 years and its been 5 since I researched my most recent marker, so I didn't know that.  Even so, throwing lines of paint at someone behind a bunker gets old compared to pump-gun woods ball.

That's why my preferred choice of play is scenario. You get everything at once. Woodsball, speedball, missions to run, larpers, lots of people to shoot, and when the sun goes down, doesn't matter if you have a 40bps ion or a .5bps splatmaster pistol. Your odds of hitting something don't really change :)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 04:14:15 PM »
Hah yeah I've only played in one big scenario game.  One that Shatner sponsored by Chicago, but I forget the exact name of it.  I was looking forward to the night games but these hard core guys came out with night vision goggles, and I and the people I was with decided not to bother, lol.
Boildown