Author Topic: Hurricaine Kyle heading for Maine !  (Read 395 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Hurricaine Kyle heading for Maine !
« on: September 27, 2008, 10:41:49 PM »
wtf!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,429262,00.html

I guess I am in trouble, as I am 18 miles from the ocean. 

Or, to quote Bill Cosby, "How long can I tread water?"

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Re: Hurricaine Kyle heading for Maine !
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 10:43:23 PM »
Wow. Really? I'm gonna go check out news reports on that. I don't recall ever having heard of a hurricane way up there.  Hunker down y'all! Those things have a nasty punch!
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 10:47:08 PM »
No sweat le paul.. it's just a bass-ackwards nor' Easter.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 10:53:24 PM »
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml

Alright, I'll have to charge the laptop and be ready!

Better have a Sunday Babe in case we get plowed for days  LOL

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 03:31:46 AM »
If NOAA has it right (and they do a good job of that normally) its only really going to have full effect to the eastern corner of the state. Keep in mind the wind direction is CCW, storm surge will be at its greatest in the eastern sector of the storm, and winds on the western side will be mitigated by having to traverse a lot of land.

“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Barrett

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 08:16:49 AM »
I'm planning a trip to Belfast, ME on Wed. to check out a boat - wondering now if it will still be in the water...
BONDEN1 9GIAP VVS RKKA

_____________________________ ______________
I'm so miserable without you, it's almost like having you here...

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: Hurricane Kyle heading for Maine !
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 08:31:36 AM »
Wow. Really? I'm gonna go check out news reports on that. I don't recall ever having heard of a hurricane way up there.  Hunker down y'all! Those things have a nasty punch!

'bout 8 years ago there was some monster Hurricane that hit the Carolinas/Florida...ect Then the thing turns north and keep rolling. Lucky me I was running up the eastern seaboard to hunt caribou, bear, and moose in Newfoundland. I had to be at that ferry at a certain time but it was raining and winding so bad I said the heck with it and tried finding a hotel. Well every hotel in the eastern seaboard was booked so I kept rolling. It was just me and the truckers on that Interstate with rain so hard you could hardly see the road.

Luckily the thing turned and I was able to make my ferry to the Island and had a great hunt, "tho I had to chopper to the lodge cause the storm had fix wing grounded". I learned two things on that trip, actually 3. #1 is not to mess with Hurricanes even when they dont call them that when they weaken. #2, is its not unknown for such storms to go that far north.

#3 is if you walk 5 miles from your lodge, and shoot a moose, that means you have to walk back 5 miles carrying it. :huh
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 09:44:41 AM »
I'm planning a trip to Belfast, ME on Wed. to check out a boat - wondering now if it will still be in the water...

Not far from me, nice town.

Its not a very well organized storm but that amount of surge, wind and rain...well, we'll see!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 02:04:01 PM »
Prudent prep is in order.. particularly for aftermath issues like gas availability and power outages. Looks like if you wrap yer brain around 'Strong but short lived 'nor Easter' you'll be doing the right thing. This thing's moving fast.. off shore here now. I think you guys see lots worse every fall. ;)

Good luck, stay safe!
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Barrett

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 05:26:11 PM »
The boat is still in the water - there was like no wind at all - just rain. So, I'm headed to Belfast tomorrow and will prolly stay thru Fri afternoon or Sat morning.

I must be nuts, at my age, to consider buying a boat in these economic times :uhoh but what the hey - rather a little adventure than sitting around the rest of my life. 
BONDEN1 9GIAP VVS RKKA

_____________________________ ______________
I'm so miserable without you, it's almost like having you here...

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
Get some silicone and duct tape and turn R2 into a life pod.  :D

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 06:10:05 PM »

Gloria hit us pretty hard in the mid-80s. My dad used to tell epic stories of the Hurricane of '38. :)
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »
I had just moved to Boston when Gloria hit....from Kansas :O   I thought..what's the fuss..at least everyone had days to prepare..not seconds like a Tornado (of which one took off part of our roof when I was 12)

Bob was worse I think...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:39:39 PM by Stringer »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 07:49:34 PM »
Put on some pink shorts if you're superstitous, you'll be gauranteed to avert any danger.