Author Topic: Who did kill him?  (Read 134 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Who did kill him?
« on: January 18, 2000, 07:13:00 PM »
Sometimes you'll engage on plane that doesn't have any damage and flies like that too, but somewhere before, someone in a P-51 has unloaded some shots on him and P-51 is like 25 miles away, then you'll fry the enemy and you will receive assist..
Who did the kill?

Seems like those .50s are great tag guns, as my observation.
Usually when your kill credits on plane with all parts still there goes for other guy, instead of you, the real killer, that other guy has .50 caliber guns. (if you're having some single 20mm plane)

Maybe we get some fixed system for this?
Like credit the player who shoots some critical parts off (or have some range checker, is the guy with most 'damage points' still around)

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Who did kill him?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2000, 08:05:00 PM »
It does seem strange. If that was a real combat incident, the P-51 pilot would have claimed a "damaged" at the most, and you would have claimed a "destroyed".

The other guy did do more damage, but then you applied the "straw that broke the camels back" so to speak, doing that last tiny bit of damage that pops the wing off etc...

The AH system of "most damage wins" gives him the kill, which is probably fairer considering the "cumilative" nature of the damage model - the other pilot had already "softened up" the enemy for you. BUT - more than likely you have done enough damage by yourself to kill the enemy outright, in which case you are being cheated out of the "kill", and possibly he should get the "assist".

Does it really matter though? YOU know that you got the kill; that's more important than having it in the right column on the score page, isn't it?  

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
Who did kill him?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2000, 09:37:00 PM »
But if you don't use the method currently implemented, what you would have would be worse. Can you imagine the hordes of newbies chasing a wingless, spiraling aircraft to the earth just to get the last bullets in it? I mean, worse than they do now?  

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Who did kill him?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2000, 01:14:00 AM »
Dolomote: i lose most of my kills to those who shoots my target after i've broke its tail feathers  

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Who did kill him?
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2000, 03:16:00 AM »
I don't care about score (Go ahead and check mine if you doubt me), and saying "We know who got the kill" is nice, but a workaround is no excuse not to fix a bug.
You could easily solve this one:
The bullet that breaks something critical gets the kill.  These critical parts would be:
Pilot
Stabs
Engine (radiator and oil hits become "critical" at the time the engine dies; so if X hits radiator at time T, and Y hits stabs at T', if the engine dies before T', X gets the kill, if after, Y does)
Parts of Wings

If the plane crashes with other damage, the last plane to have tagged it -- if still in view -- gets the kill.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Who did kill him?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2000, 09:52:00 AM »
My favorite is
In a fight with 3 bad guys. Fight started bad but i managed to hurt one of them and he is going down.(i probebly HOed him but oh well..) A freindly shows up an I think allright! Then I notice that he is not interested in helping me, he wants my kill...
Sure enough he peppers the thing all the way down and I get an assist..
This is probely historically accurate, but it is very annoying. please enable friendly fire.....

------------------
Pongo
Sturm Gruppe

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
Who did kill him?
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2000, 07:31:00 AM »
I've seen it many times too...
After a good fight You managed to damage nme badly, he dives without wingtips,elevator& engine smoking.
You think "All Right! I did it !"<wipes sweat from his forehead> and just about that time You see how some of your country fellows dives and put that con full of lead, even if he's already "doomed to death", he gets the kill  
Now that pisses off and not just for scores...