Author Topic: No More vehicles  (Read 969 times)

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
No More vehicles
« on: March 02, 2001, 12:16:00 PM »
Now to start off, no this ain't a flame really, more like an biased opinion.
Some folks don't care for the ground stuff at all, And some folks would like, just like in aircraft, to see a wider variety of them.
I don't think there is a reason to add more, Why? because until the terrain reaches the point where there is cover for them, they're toys, not sim products, I don't care if it's green or brown, made in Germany,Russia,or America, Anyone who can get a Chog or Spit off the runway can waste them, and there are a great deal of folks in here who can do far more than merely getting off the runway, So IMHO (and I do mean humble) additional vehicles are wasting time and resources as the environment is not suited to them.
Please don't use historical context to refute this, we're not discussing history, but the MA.

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Offline Tronspir

• Zinc Member
No More vehicles
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2001, 12:20:00 PM »
PZ, we had several successful sorties running the "LW/Tank Assault" missions yesterday afternoon...LW would basically kill any A/C upping to kill our ground assault, and it was VERY successful.

To be a lone wolf in a tank is like flying a Zero into a horde of higher P51D's.

------------------
Ripsnort
=CO= VMF-323 ~Death Rattlers~

Offline loser

• Silver Member
No More vehicles
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2001, 12:40:00 PM »
dude has a point,,,until we get more trees, ridges, shrubberies etc...tanking is ,well, rather dry and predictable, without much statregdy.

(btw i dont mean the kind of trees and stuff you can turn off with "ctrl c")

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
No More vehicles
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2001, 12:51:00 PM »
I know about your successes rip  
But to the point, Your mass of tanks should be easier to spot than the "lone wolf"
sector radars pinpoint GV's, Today I hit 2 different bases by myself, they were completely away from the action, and no one
else had hit them, both times the opposition showed up before I even reached firing position, That's not a coincidence, they knew I was there, and without anything to hide under/behind, localizing and killing me was an exercise in point gathering, only skill they needed was not lawndarting,(I'll will say they did use good F/B tactics, but it wasn't like they had to worry much) If it takes enough air superiority to take a field WITHOUT the GV's to guarantee the GV's safety, kinda relegates them to fun ride status, get my drift?

------------------

Offline Tronspir

• Zinc Member
No More vehicles
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2001, 12:58:00 PM »
Ahh, rgr.  Well, WW2 online is coming! Hehe, actually, to quote HT, "This is a flight sim first, all other is simply a by-product" or something to that manner...in other words, they are focusing on the "Flight Sim First" aspect of the game (thankfully).

Offline Chewbacca

• Zinc Member
      • http://chewbacca.freeservers.com
No More vehicles
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2001, 01:14:00 PM »
PZVG you have been away for a while and it shows.  On the improved beta map (1.04), ground vehicles ruled the arena.  And I think as people adapt to this new map we will see this again.  

I saw two vehicle-assisted field conquests last night that could not have happened without mutual support between ground and air units.

And don't underestimate the defensive capabilities of ground vehicles.  The Ostwind is the single most potent weapon in the game.  And I have seen too many wings sawed off by 2 or 3 MG 34 hits (LOL) to ignore the invincible commander's gun on the Panzer.

Ground vehicles are like BUFFs.  They have incredible offensive potential but they require cooperation from defensive units (fighters/AAA) to suceed.  And that's how it oughta be.

[This message has been edited by Chewbacca (edited 03-02-2001).]

Offline Salcor

• Zinc Member
No More vehicles
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2001, 05:24:00 PM »
Maybe something that would make vehicles a little more viable would be to not allow the radar to locate them, and allow less of the AAA guns to target them.  This would make the pilots have to visually ID target like they did in WWII.

------------------
Salcor

The meek shall truly inherit the Earth because that is where they will all be buried

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
No More vehicles
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2001, 06:39:00 PM »
Ok, noticable issues as follows,
Radar let's you know there's a ground vehicle in area.
Jump to location and scan for the yellow dot
Either the radar needs to not display em, or panzers osties need a paintjob that might be less historical (Although a good latewar ambush scheme would work) so they don't stand out, The M3 M16 are a lot harder to spot than the Yellow dot.
Radar is a gameplay device, but extending it to ground units puts a crimp in their use.
As to the point of using vehicles in organized groups, well and good, except, A) not in a squad and B) limited time to have my fun type of players cannot use that tactic.

------------------

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
No More vehicles
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2001, 09:51:00 PM »
 I dont like to HO much. And an HO is an HO. The plane flying towards you is not the threat, its the guns pointed at your nose. So, be it a tank, or a bomber, as long as they can point there guns at your nose, its an HO. Compareing tanking to flying a zeke is laughable. Unless zekes have started shooting backwards.

Offline Wingnut_0

• Copper Member
      • http://www.Luftjagerkorps.com
No More vehicles
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2001, 02:34:00 AM »
pzvg, I like to tank alot myself, so anytime I'm in give me a yell and I'll help you out.

Anyways...I mostly agree pz.  I would still like to go up against a Matilda or T-34..hell even a Sherman.  But I do agree that some things need done first before they can expand the ground forces.

I can live without ground cover till the other things are done but a) fuel must actually affect Ground vehicles  b) realistic armor values c) ability to add a gunner to your tank

Things things imo need to be done before any expanding is done.

------------------
Wingnut
Luftjagerkorps

The quality of the box matters little.  Success depends upon the man who sits in it  -  Baron Manfred von Richthofen

[This message has been edited by Wingnut_0 (edited 03-03-2001).]

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
No More vehicles
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2001, 09:11:00 PM »
hello all:

As far as I am concerned, get ride of all the ground units.

We are on a new map with the spoune points for ground units way to close to the fields. so now we get to see all the ostwinds parking at the end of runways and padding there kill scores, ( bunch of studmuffinots) this is a flight sim, and now the studmuffinmobiles will be racing to get to the fields to just sit there and blast away. Yes, I hate the ostwinds when it is used in this manner, when used to defend a field, I dont care. The ostwind was designed as a mobile air defence unit, not a attack unit like it is used here. ostwinds leveling the hangers, what a crock of toejam.

well pzvg, you state that the radar should not show when a ground unit is heading towards a field or should have better cover, well as long as the studmuffinmobiles keep attacking the fields, I will try to kill them as much as I can with either dive bombing or upping in a panzer, I would try to straff the wide open top of the ostwind, but it seems the makers of this unit gave it a energy shield so the 50. cals wont hit the gun and kill it.
hell, I've hit ostwinds with AP rounds from the panzer two or three time before and still had them blasting away. must be a bug in the system that has been here since the studmuffinmobile has been in the game. you can straff the acks at a field down, but good luck on straffing the 37mm studmuffinmobile gun.

Well thats enough venting for now, I will vent some more on the studmuffinmobile next time I'm online and see one sitting at the end of the runway padding its kill score.

------------------
wolf37
C.O.
THUNDER BIRDS

funked

No More vehicles
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2001, 04:20:00 AM »
A.H. = A bunch of Homophobes?

Geezus Wolf

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
No More vehicles
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2001, 05:30:00 AM »
While I welcome any input to the question I do request that you write in non-arena jargon, I personally don't give a rat's southern regions about it myself, but I want to talk about the problem, Not begin yet another useless flame thread, OK?
Now, point, I've always held that damage models on GV's are too loose, which gives rise to both the unkillable ostwind turret and the tenderfooted Pz IVh, But, and it's a big but, All the vehicle modelling in the world is irrelevant in the MA, GV's exist as curio's, nothing more, while the new map opens up the range of play for them, it also showcases the limitations of grnd radar tracking.

P.S. For those of you tired of the armor at the end of runway joke, try this, when in the tower,put the clipboard down and take a look out all four sides of the tower, you'll generally spot the yellow dot of an osty or pnzr with one scan, save yourself some needless aggravation, at least until I talk HTC into giving them ambush schemes  

------------------

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
No More vehicles
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2001, 11:43:00 AM »
What I think should be done is that the dar shouldn't show a GV unless a person on the field can see the unit with their eye, like in WWII. Also, remove the icons of GV's for planes until less that D1

------------------
Lt. Col. Aaron "txace-" Giles of the 457th BG
    "Fait Accompli"
In arena: semperfi

Hans

No More vehicles
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2001, 07:05:00 PM »
We need treelines and towns.

Hans.