Author Topic: HOUSE REPUBLICANS PUT UP HISTORIC FIGHT!  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Re: HOUSE REPUBLICANS PUT UP HISTORIC FIGHT!
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2008, 02:16:28 PM »
You are missing the bigger picture.. Of course the banks that cause the mess should be held responsible, however unfortunately it don't work that way. No one really knows who holds bad paper because the system isn't open partially due to the deregulation. If people lose faith in the banking industry, it matters little if your bank had good loans or bad.

If people lose faith in the system they start pulling money out of the banks. With out that money even a good bank will fail. Like it or not, this bail out wasn't as much about "bailing out" banks but rather keeping confidence in the system. You sound like you are more worried about punishing the ones that did bad, rather than looking at the bigger picture of the stability of the US economy.

I understand perfectly. They want a check written on my money, without telling me what they owe, who they owe it to and how they got their tulips in a sling.. they want their parachutes, I want an accounting statement and all the other things they ask of me when I ask them for a loan.

Then I want to tell em GFY.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2008, 02:28:38 PM »
Yep. And we're willing to give them the money...only we want the taxpayers to have a lien on their businesses, their home mortgages, their yatchs, their jets and their Ferraris. Fair is fair, after all. 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »
I am not willing to lend them the money... free credit and cheap dollars caused the problem... Let them liquidate and start all over.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2008, 02:32:36 PM »
Yep. And we're willing to give them the money...only we want the taxpayers to have a lien on their businesses, their home mortgages, their yatchs, their jets and their Ferraris. Fair is fair, after all. 

Well I sure hope this decision doesn't end up hurting you and this country more than the 700 billion would have. How long do you think our economy can continue to go on with the credit markets being dead?
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2008, 02:33:27 PM »
I am not willing to lend them the money... free credit and cheap dollars caused the problem... Let them liquidate and start all over.

Do you understand that no one can borrow money right now? It's not just bad banks.. it's everyone.
"strafing"

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 02:35:58 PM »
Fine. Nobody said it would be easy.. so we wait a bit before buying the car we can't afford or buying a house that's overpriced. What idiot would want to get a loan now at usurious rates?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline JAGED

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 02:36:46 PM »
Do you understand that no one can borrow money right now? It's not just bad banks.. it's everyone.

Not true! I'm closing on a loan this Friday...
"I post facts.   If I post anything thats not a fact, I ask if people know whether it is fact or drivel first..."    SkyRock (ROFL LMFAO)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 02:36:56 PM »
Well I sure hope this decision doesn't end up hurting you and this country more than the 700 billion would have. How long do you think our economy can continue to go on with the credit markets being dead?

I'd rather the bad fail, we go into a depression, and the voters crucify all the idiots in congress and put in people that are fiscally responsible.  Sure would be a lot easier than giving out a trillion dollars to protect people with the yachts.

As for the people... oh well, if you are in debt and paying more than you can afford on a home, you will be in a world of crap.  But, you can blame no one but yourself for being a stupid imbecile and putting yourself into that situation.

I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2008, 02:37:52 PM »
Yall vote NO and i will make more money.  :aok

Still think a yes with a healthy reform of wall street regulations will be the best long term, but as long as i can line my pocket with increased interest on my savings then so be it :)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 02:38:06 PM »

BS, I just took out a loan to buy a property from a bank that some idiot overpaid on and I got at a fire sale price.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2008, 02:39:36 PM »
apparently, we do not need to borrow anything else... We cannot borrow anything because we are a 70% consumer spending based economy... It does not take a rocket science major to figure out that an economy like that cannot stand.  We have to retool the economy to re-energize manufacturing.  For years (with the exception of ONLY my home and I put 40% down on it) I have lived by the rule that if i cannot put my hand in my pocket and pay the money for it, in full, i do not need it.  I have done without many things and it hasnt hurt me yet.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2008, 02:39:48 PM »

Oh, I think we can limp along a week or two while our wise elected leaders <cough> produce a plan that is actually well thought out, protects the taxypayer like the aforementioned RTC, includes strong oversight and adds a little responsibility/accountability for the Richie Rich guys.

DeFazio "gets it". They're not all morons.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2008, 02:41:30 PM »
Those of us that are not leveraged up the bellybutton have reserves, credit and liquidity... the banks are clubbing each other to get our business.. we're good risks.

Seems to me to be the way it should be.

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2008, 02:42:41 PM »
Yall vote NO and i will make more money.  :aok

Still think a yes with a healthy reform of wall street regulations will be the best long term, but as long as i can line my pocket with increased interest on my savings then so be it :)

we don't need more regulations, we need the government to quit tinkering.  they made the mess by agreeing to back loans that should have never been made and would have never been made under normal RISK... the government, as i posted above, caused an orgy of irresponsibility
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2008, 02:45:15 PM »
If the banks fail won't the govt (and by extension YOU guys) be forced to pink up for the $100,000 insurance provided by the federal govt on deposits?  
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain